ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 Members' Rides

Old 09-04-2021   #1
zyal8r

Talking 1995 ZR-1 #004!!

Hi everyone, I'm proud to share that, after over 20 years of wanting one, I am finally a ZR-1 owner! '95 #004 - yellow/black/both tops, arrived this past Sunday.

A little bit about me. Like a lot of kids, I lusted after the Countaches I saw in Cannonball Run, etc., and even got to ride in one that a friend of my dad's won in an Alpine contest in 1985... I thought for sure that was my ultimate dream car. They were cool, yes, but, I come by my love of Corvettes honestly.

I've been on Corvetteforum for 22 years, before I even had a Corvette, and have lurked on here almost that long. My dad was my Corvette buddy until he passed away in 2015. He had 14 Corvettes, the last one, a 2007 Z06. So needless to say I was also hooked on Corvettes as a young kid - I had the yellow '72 Corvette-in-a-field picture on my desk, and that's actually my earliest recollection of loving the color yellow. My natural love of Corvettes, and that poster, guided me to a yellow Corvette. The coolest ones to me were always the yellow ones. Throughout my dad's Corvettes, he had white ones, dark red ones, gray ones, blue, orange, and silver. But my favorite one was his '96 LT4 - yellow with black interior - #4411 - I think it's somewhere in Illinois now (incidentally he bought this in '96 after we looked at VERY used '94 green/tan ZR-1). I almost kept that yellow LT4 car for myself when he sold it in '98. Fast forward to April, 2001, I was saving for a 50th anniversary Corvette in 2003, even had a place in line with a local dealership, but a CF member posted a '96 yellow/beige/Z51/LT4 car on the forum. I came to learn how rare it was, and loved the combination. I decided I had to try to get it. I put a deposit down, and flew to Phoenix with my dad on April 7, 2001. I drove it back to Kansas City with him. It will forever be one of my greatest memories of time spent with my dad. This being my first Corvette, a very unique one at that (one of four), plus the memories with it and my dad, I will never sell this car. I have been so happy to make memories with it now with my own two kids! It has just over 17k miles right now.

From '90-'95 I loved reading about and admiring the ZR-1. It was something I was not sure I'd ever get to own. In the early 2000s, I started tracking some of them, and understanding production numbers of yellow ones. I decided if and when I would buy one, it would have to be a yellow one. I have watched many ZR-1s (and frankly, all C4s I can find) over that time, and for several years I kept track of sales prices, Ebay auctions, etc., mostly on ZR-1s and a few rarer LT4s. I recently found out that I had tracked one particular '95 ZR-1 - #255 (yellow/beige) through three previous sales. The C4s are my favorite generation as that's the one I grew up enjoying the most. I'm very careful to a fault about spending money, and I tend to second guess myself a lot when it comes to large purchases. However, in the last year I've observed prices going up. I began to wonder where it might stop, and if they went too high, would I ever be able to justify what it might take to own a ZR-1 when the next 'right' one came along? I wanted a yellow '95. I'd take a '94 but ideally, a yellow '95 was my goal. Originally I thought a yellow/beige would be cool to match my LT4. That almost happened a month ago when #255 had been listed (again) for sale in a barely visible Facebook Marketplace ad. It sat for several months and then the price came down. The very day I decided to make an offer on it, it sold hours earlier due to better advertising just the previous week. Well... okay... so there was another yellow one (black interior) for sale that had been posted in late 2020 for a ridiculous price, but the ad had come down for a while. I looked again mid-summer and it was back. It was a one-owner, 5600 miles, beautiful shape from the pictures, never in rain, original GSCs, wheels never off the car. Seemed to run well from the videos, etc. I liked the story on this one, and the fact it is a one-owner car... pretty neat. It's so new, they didn't even take the paper off the clear top! It was not without a few known issues... windshield, Bose, etc.

So... a couple weeks ago I finally called the seller, thinking it was probably gone, but despite some folks looking at it, there was no deposit on it. He came down a bit on price, so [after a green light from my better half] it was finally time to buy my ZR-1. Although the body, wheels, interior, etc., are perfect, it needs a little refreshing. The windshield is one of the worst I've seen, it's as bad or worse than the last ZR-1. So it's going to have to go, unfortunately. If the sun hits it directly, it is very difficult to see out of it. I don't think it would pass Missouri inspection as it sits today, and I believe I need an inspection to register an out-of-state car as historic (or not). I will be going through it to refresh components from sitting so much over the years. I've already pulled some codes, looks like we might have TPS voltage and/or O2 sensor issues, and seems like the Bose half-works, but I absolutely LOVE this car. I have dreamt of this car for over half my life, and I finally have it! It will be a perfect buddy for my LT4. However, I think I may have bought too nice of a car (yes, it is really one of those 'never been driven in the rain...' in fact, I'm not sure it has ever even SAT in the rain!), so perhaps I need to plot a higher-mile yellow '95 to keep my two company!

This car has an interesting story. It has a prominent dealer sticker on the back - KERBECK. It was supposed to be for *the* Mr. Kerbeck, however, the owner's wife bought it for him when Kerbeck decided to sell it instead of keeping it. I don't like dealer stickers but it's a bit of history on the car and I might just leave it alone. I have the 'SOLD' sign where it was marked sold to Mr. Kerbeck. In '97 a divorce caused the original owner to have to buy it back for himself... at that time, the car had 3800 miles. In 2001 a new title was issued to the same owner, but the state of New Jersey marked the title with 500,000 miles... yes, half a million miles. So it has a 'blemish' on its Carfax showing this Not Actual Mileage title. Since that event was 20 years ago, and there is NO possible way this car has over the 5600 miles showing on the odometer, it doesn't bother me a bit. Adds to the interesting story... other than that I think it sat for most of the last 20 years. In October, 2016 it had some work done with 5574 miles. It rolled off the trailer to me this past Sunday with 5632 miles. Clearly it has barely moved in five years. Also, it has a ZR1.net registry sticker from '96 Corvettes at Carlisle. Not sure if anyone on here might have met the original owner and this car back in '96? The owner passed away in early 2020, so his son is actually who sold it to me. I'm really glad to have it and I will cherish it for a very long time!

I appreciate the already helpful advice from Ted and GoldCylon, both of whom (in addition to many others of you) I have followed and learned from for years, already. I appreciate the opportunity to post here and learn more about my car.

Anyway, here it is as it came off the transport on Sunday. It's all mine!! I couldn't be more excited to have it! (And, honestly, I'm way more excited about this than the Countaches I thought I had to have as a kid...)

IMG_9195.jpg

IMG_9205.jpg

IMG_9185.jpg
1995 ZR-1 #004 - Yellow/Black
1996 LT4 #3828 - Yellow/Beige/LT4/Z51 - 1 of 4

Last edited by zyal8r; 09-05-2021 at 11:10 PM.
zyal8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021   #2
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: 1995 ZR-1 #004!!

Congratulations and welcome to the family. Thanks for the great story. Enjoy and best wishes! 🤙🏼

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021   #3
Matt B

Very cool car in yellow! And great story! Welcome to the club!

Sent from my SM-G991B using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
ZR-1 #638/1991
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021   #4
Demps

Congrats on the car. It only gets better each drive. The LT4 low end torque then, up next, the high rev hp of the LT5. Shouldn't get bored. Hope to see them one day.
Ted

Last edited by Demps; 09-06-2021 at 08:10 AM.
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021   #5
zyal8r

Thank you, guys! Can't wait to spend more time with it. This weekend is all about making sure my wife's car gets back in the garage... so it's cleaning the third bay and the shed until it's done.

Ted, yes, that would be great someday!

I don't think my neighbors have caught on that there are two yellow C4s now at my house. I live in a cu-de-sac and normally there are people out, but when I brought it home last week and the couple of times it's been out, oddly enough no one has been out (which is fine, because despite the bright yellow cars and bright blue truck, I really don't like the attention).

Mike
Old 09-06-2021   #6
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Congratulations!
Very nice indeed!
Enjoy it!!
Saw this car a number of times.
George had it in the showroom periodically with his other classics until sold.
Perhaps search for images of the Kerbeck Collection.
Pictures of the non fraternal twins together are required!

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021   #7
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyal8r View Post
Hi everyone, I'm proud to share that, after over 20 years of wanting one, I am finally a ZR-1 owner! '95 #004 - yellow/black/both tops, arrived this past Sunday.

A little bit about me. Like a lot of kids, I lusted after the Countaches I saw in Cannonball Run, etc., and even got to ride in one that a friend of my dad's won in an Alpine contest in 1985... I thought for sure that was my ultimate dream car. They were cool, yes, but, I come by my love of Corvettes honestly.

I've been on Corvetteforum for 22 years, before I even had a Corvette, and have lurked on here almost that long. My dad was my Corvette buddy until he passed away in 2015. He had 14 Corvettes, the last one, a 2007 Z06. So needless to say I was also hooked on Corvettes as a young kid - I had the yellow '72 Corvette-in-a-field picture on my desk, and that's actually my earliest recollection of loving the color yellow. My natural love of Corvettes, and that poster, guided me to a yellow Corvette. The coolest ones to me were always the yellow ones. Throughout my dad's Corvettes, he had white ones, dark red ones, gray ones, blue, orange, and silver. But my favorite one was his '96 LT4 - yellow with black interior - #4411 - I think it's somewhere in Illinois now (incidentally he bought this in '96 after we looked at VERY used '94 green/tan ZR-1). I almost kept that yellow LT4 car for myself when he sold it in '98. Fast forward to April, 2001, I was saving for a 50th anniversary Corvette in 2003, even had a place in line with a local dealership, but a CF member posted a '96 yellow/beige/Z51/LT4 car on the forum. I came to learn how rare it was, and loved the combination. I decided I had to try to get it. I put a deposit down, and flew to Phoenix with my dad on April 7, 2001. I drove it back to Kansas City with him. It will forever be one of my greatest memories of time spent with my dad. This being my first Corvette, a very unique one at that (one of four), plus the memories with it and my dad, I will never sell this car. I have been so happy to make memories with it now with my own two kids! It has just over 17k miles right now.

From '90-'95 I loved reading about and admiring the ZR-1. It was something I was not sure I'd ever get to own. In the early 2000s, I started tracking some of them, and understanding production numbers of yellow ones. I decided if and when I would buy one, it would have to be a yellow one. I have watched many ZR-1s (and frankly, all C4s I can find) over that time, and for several years I kept track of sales prices, Ebay auctions, etc., mostly on ZR-1s and a few rarer LT4s. I recently found out that I had tracked one particular '95 ZR-1 - #255 (yellow/beige) through three previous sales. The C4s are my favorite generation as that's the one I grew up enjoying the most. I'm very careful to a fault about spending money, and I tend to second guess myself a lot when it comes to large purchases. However, in the last year I've observed prices going up. I began to wonder where it might stop, and if they went too high, would I ever be able to justify what it might take to own a ZR-1 when the next 'right' one came along? I wanted a yellow '95. I'd take a '94 but ideally, a yellow '95 was my goal. Originally I thought a yellow/beige would be cool to match my LT4. That almost happened a month ago when #255 had been listed (again) for sale in a barely visible Facebook Marketplace ad. It sat for several months and then the price came down. The very day I decided to make an offer on it, it sold hours earlier due to better advertising just the previous week. Well... okay... so there was another yellow one (black interior) for sale that had been posted in late 2020 for a ridiculous price, but the ad had come down for a while. I looked again mid-summer and it was back. It was a one-owner, 5600 miles, beautiful shape from the pictures, never in rain, original GSCs, wheels never off the car. Seemed to run well from the videos, etc. I liked the story on this one, and the fact it is a one-owner car... pretty neat. It's so new, they didn't even take the paper off the clear top! It was not without a few known issues... windshield, Bose, etc.

So... a couple weeks ago I finally called the seller, thinking it was probably gone, but despite some folks looking at it, there was no deposit on it. He came down a bit on price, so [after a green light from my better half] it was finally time to buy my ZR-1. Although the body, wheels, interior, etc., are perfect, it needs a little refreshing. The windshield is one of the worst I've seen, it's as bad or worse than the last ZR-1. So it's going to have to go, unfortunately. If the sun hits it directly, it is very difficult to see out of it. I don't think it would pass Missouri inspection as it sits today, and I believe I need an inspection to register an out-of-state car as historic (or not). I will be going through it to refresh components from sitting so much over the years. I've already pulled some codes, looks like we might have TPS voltage and/or O2 sensor issues, and seems like the Bose half-works, but I absolutely LOVE this car. I have dreamt of this car for over half my life, and I finally have it! It will be a perfect buddy for my LT4. However, I think I may have bought too nice of a car (yes, it is really one of those 'never been driven in the rain...' in fact, I'm not sure it has ever even SAT in the rain!), so perhaps I need to plot a higher-mile yellow '95 to keep my two company!

This car has an interesting story. It has a prominent dealer sticker on the back - KERBECK. It was supposed to be for *the* Mr. Kerbeck, however, the owner's wife bought it for him when Kerbeck decided to sell it instead of keeping it. I don't like dealer stickers but it's a bit of history on the car and I might just leave it alone. I have the 'SOLD' sign where it was marked sold to Mr. Kerbeck. In '97 a divorce caused the original owner to have to buy it back for himself... at that time, the car had 3800 miles. In 2001 a new title was issued to the same owner, but the state of New Jersey marked the title with 500,000 miles... yes, half a million miles. So it has a 'blemish' on its Carfax showing this Not Actual Mileage title. Since that event was 20 years ago, and there is NO possible way this car has over the 5600 miles showing on the odometer, it doesn't bother me a bit. Adds to the interesting story... other than that I think it sat for most of the last 20 years. In October, 2016 it had some work done with 5574 miles. It rolled off the trailer to me this past Sunday with 5632 miles. Clearly it has barely moved in five years. Also, it has a ZR1.net registry sticker from '96 Corvettes at Carlisle. Not sure if anyone on here might have met the original owner and this car back in '96? The owner passed away in early 2020, so his son is actually who sold it to me. I'm really glad to have it and I will cherish it for a very long time!

I appreciate the already helpful advice from Ted and GoldCylon, both of whom (in addition to many others of you) I have followed and learned from for years, already. I appreciate the opportunity to post here and learn more about my car.

Anyway, here it is as it came off the transport on Sunday. It's all mine!! I couldn't be more excited to have it! (And, honestly, I'm way more excited about this than the Countaches I thought I had to have as a kid...)

Attachment 16213

Attachment 16214

Attachment 16217
Enjoy her, she is a beauty !
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021   #8
lfalzarano

Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Old 09-07-2021   #9
zyal8r

Thank you again Guys!

Marty - I have been searching now for pictures of Kerbeck's personal collection that might include this car - haven't found any so far but I'll keep looking. Very cool that you'd seen it before. It appears to have been registered by the first owner in ~March, 1995. Is it possible Kerbeck only had it for six months or so?

I will absolutely post pictures when I can get the two cars outside together! Crossing my fingers for this next weekend.

Take care everyone!
Mike
Old 09-08-2021   #10
JThomas

Congratulations on the purchase and thank you for the great story. It is a beautiful car and I hope to see it in person some day at an event. Serial #0004, is awesome too! Welcome to the madness, that is ZR-1!
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote