ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Racing > Personal Racing Stories

Old 02-05-2008   #1
RedSled

Default NCM HPDE at VIR

Is anyone planning to go to the NCM High Performance Driving Event at Virginia International Raceway June 30-July 1st? I signed up today and I'm looking forward to my second driving school and first in the Z. I can't wait to hear the LT-5 working on a road course. So far a friend (in his 2007 ZO6) and I will be heading down from Maryland. Be fun to add a few more for the journey.

- Keith '90 Red/Red #1383
RedSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #2
gbrtng

Default Re: NCM HPDE at VIR

VIR is just too far to trailer from South TX. I haven't been on a track since 2003 and would like to be there, but ... From what I hear, Roc does a good school.
Old 02-09-2008   #3
RedSled

I hear you. I did the Jim Russell school last year in CA. Obviously I didn't take my car out to Sonoma! Sure was fun. Anyone out there have any track prep suggestions for the ZR-1? I have my own list, but would enjoy hearing from others who have had their cars on a road course.
Old 02-10-2008   #4
gbrtng

The most important item is brake fluid. You need to flush and fill with something with a higher boiling point than stock DOT3/4. My favorite is ATE Blue and ATE 200 (amber). Start with blue and toggle back and forth between the two; this assures there is fresh fluid in each caliper. Why fresh brake fluid? You haven't lived until you come to the next turn and the pedal goes to the floor because the fluid has boiled.

You can get a bit more fresh air to the front brakes by removing the corner spoiler pieces. Also, start with fresh oil in the crankcase and check the oil levels in the trans and diff. And know your personal limitations if you're a novice at this.
Old 02-10-2008   #5
RedSled

Good advice all. The organizers also suggested brake fluid upgrade for the reasons you state. And I hear you on the "Personal limitations." Many thanks for the comments.
Old 02-15-2008   #6
Captain A

Great course. It should be pretty hot that time of year. Make sure you don't use your emer. brake when you park the car between sessions. Make sure you check your nuts (on your rims) before you go out. Have fun at oak tree bend....and don't forget to check your nuts after you go out (not on your rims I hope)
Captain A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #7
RedSled

Thanks for the parking brake reminder. That can be bad news. 10-4 on the nuts.
Old 02-10-2013   #8
LancePearson

I ran vir in 2011 with my 76 l48 and now that I have a 1991 zr-1 it would be much more fun. The track full course is 3.27 miles, 170' of elevation change with 17 turns, two kinks and in essence three straights. The third is through the esses by clipping the corners but two are flat out accelerations. The one from oak tree turn goes up a blind hill which takes a little getting used to but once you've been around the track three or four times you can see the lines to take and it is a fun course. The one concern I have is that the 1991 Z is so much faster than my 76 due to both handling and engine power it might overwhelm my reflexes as the track is not hugely wide though it is out in the country and does not have a lot of steel barriers, mostly grass and hay bales or tires so is reasonably forgiving if you err.

It is a fun course to drive.

Lance P.
[COLOR=red][I]'91 ZR-1 #00682[/I][/COLOR]
Net Registry #1461
LancePearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013   #9
Daniel_Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrtng View Post
You haven't lived until you come to the next turn and the pedal goes to the floor because the fluid has boiled.
This is true or the caliper has spread do to the heat and stress (not cool)

RedSled90,
How old are the tires? What is the remaining pad thickness? Also jack the car up, easy to do one side at a time. Grab the tire top and bottom and wiggle to insure you have no play in the hub.

Most importantly have fun, enjoy yourself, and keep it out of the woods!

Daniel

Last edited by Daniel_Mc; 02-12-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Daniel_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013   #10
mgg

My first suggestion would be to buy a new set of brake pads and bed them in pryor to the event. I would purchase a set of pads that are specifically designed for track/race use and switch out to your street pads when you are street driving. You will notice immediately after the brakes get up to temp the significant difference. Performance friction 01 compound need to HOT before they actually stop but they will definately be a huge improvement over a combination pad. As was earlier states, a complete bleeding of you brake system and the use of a quality fluie like ATE will work well. Have fun / drink plenty of water!!!!
mgg is offline   Reply With Quote