ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > General > Past Events & Event Pictures

Old 06-16-2009   #1
A26B

Default Thunder at Stillwater II Registration

THUNDER AT STILLWATER II

Now until 01Sep09 Registration $50.00.
Register through the ZR1Net Registry Store. http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ZR1registrystore/
Registration will get you a few souvenirs, dash plaque, name card and lanyard, and in to all the events as a spectator, but the charge is essentially to help cover the expenses necessary to enable the VIP’s to attend.

Event Clothing: Purchase when registering for Thunder at Stillwater II

All hats & tee shirts will be pre-ordered through the registration process and provided to registrants when they “Sign-in” at Stillwater. Clothing orders made after 01Sep09 may not be available to registrants at “Sign-in.” and will incur additional costs for shipping.

Hats: $17.50. Pick up at Sign-in.
Black, embroidered in red, both front & back.

Tee shirts: $18.00. Pick up at Sign-in.
Black, screen printed in red, both front & back.
(S-2XL, add $3 for 3XL-6XL)

Fleece Long Sleeve Shirt: $49.95.
Black, embroidered in red & white, front only. Pull-over shirt w/collar & pockets .
(S-XL, add $4 for 2X-4X).

10Sep09 or 11Sep09 Lodging Check-in, Thursday:
http://www.stillwaterplaza.com/index.php A block of 40 rooms is reserved at the Stillwater Plaza Hotel. King & dbl queen rooms are available, Cost is $81.18/day with all fees included. Register early to insure you get a room. Seven rooms were already reserved, well before event registration was even officially opened. Make your own reservations by telling the desk attendant ZR-1 Corvette.

Thursday, 1500~1800, 10Sep09 Sign-in:
Stillwater Plaza Hotel lobby, 600 E McElroy Rd, Stillwater, OK

Friday, 0900~1700, 11Sep09 Hallett Road Course: $100.00
http://www.hallettracing.net/ Hallett, OK abt 35 miles from Stillwater. Bring your helmet! Track is all ours for the day.

Hallett has over 80 feet of elevation change and is considered technically difficult. It has wide, grassy run-off areas and zero concrete or Armco barriers.

If you have never driven your Corvette for it’s designed purpose, this is the perfect time. Glen Breitung, a fellow ZR-1 driver and former instructor has offered his expertise with ride-along instruction for anyone. We can group beginning road course drivers in the same sessions for laps at slower speeds. It is very safe, for the driver and the car, with absolutely no requirement to go any faster than you feel comfortable for yourself & the car.

Note: Your support is essential to insure that the track will be reserved. Track rental is $4,100.00 for the day. If you do the math, you can readily see that we need 41 registrants to break even on this event. That doesn’t mean that if we get 39, the event is cancelled, but the showing has to be strong. Our contingency plan is to open up the registration for Corvettes other than the ZR-1. If you have a buddy or know someone with a Corvette who would like to register for the event, point them in the right direction to sign up & pay.

Saturday, 1000~1700, 12Sep09 Tulsa Drag Racing:
http://www.tulsaracewaypark.com/ Located abt 80 miles from Stillwater. We will be merging in with a “Chevy Fest” event, so only Chevrolet cars will be there. The track is still working on planning as to whether Sat will be formal racing or more of a test & tune day. Either way, we can stage & run on our own or compete if desired. Great thing is.... no pre-registration, no minimum for track rental, just show up & pay at the track. Cost & rules will be forthcoming. Pit passes & bleacher passes are available at the gate for spectators.

Saturday, 1900~whenever, 12Sep09 VIP Assembly: (cost covered by your event registration)
Will be held at Mercury Marine plant in Stillwater. VIP contact & confirmation is in progress and will be published later. This will be in Mercury's auditorium. Objective is to hold a reunion, recognize & honor persons who played a role in the ZR-1 & LT5 development & accomplishments. Afterwards, it will be open question & answer with story telling for as long as they are willing. Bring your HOTB books!

VIP's will include the following, and others I have not yet contacted until Registry support was finalized. Now, I can contact others (4 more) and will post them soon.

Graham Behan
Gary Cline
Doug Rippie
Chris Allen

In addition to banners made for the event, special event VIP autographed LT5 pieces will be auctioned off at the assembly. Proceeds will go to offset costs of the event. Any excess event income will be used for future ZR1NetRegistry sponsored events.

Sunday, 0900~1200, 13Sep09 Autocross Solo: $25.00
Event will be SCCA sponsored and held at the Mercury Marine Plant in Stillwater. Standard, Solo rules apply.

MercCruiser was kind enough to allow us the use of their parking lot to set up the autocross course. Thunder II happens to fall on the same weekend as the SCCA autocross nationals, so the local SCCA chapter will be a little short on help. They will need our assistance to set the cones back up in the unlikely event anyone actually knocks one down.
Three runs minimum. Trophies awarded by SCCA

Photographs & Video:
Plans are to have a photographer at the various events to take pictures of the event and your cars on the track, pits or scenic background (like Mercury Marine) A Thunder at Stillwater II CD will be offered for purchase directly from the photographer after the event. In the works, is to have a quality video DVD of the VIP discussion made also, because there will no doubt be a lot of valuable knowledge shared. Cost & products will be forthcoming.

Banquets & Dinners:
The general impression I've gotten is that most folks think the cost is often too high & the quality & fare generally leaves something to be desired. As such, there won't be any offered as part of the event agenda. Stillwater has some great & famous eating places. Hideaway Pizza, Eskimo Joes, and many others. Good steaks, barbeque, mexican & plain old American fare available.

Airports:
It’s about the same distance to Stillwater from either Oklahoma City or Tulsa. Rental cars are available at both airports.

Commentary:
This will be a great homecoming event with performance driving events for everyone available. I've been thinking about a KOTH award on the order of a tri-fecta. Whoever posts the lowest total comprised from the lowest time in all 3 events wins! Only rule is....no changes to the car for events. Run drag slicks & skinnies, you gotta run them on the road course & auto cross too! You get the idea. What do you think about this? Fun?

Jerry
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.

Last edited by A26B; 06-17-2009 at 11:27 AM.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #2
carter200

Default Re: Thunder at Stillwater II Registration

Can we see what the shirt looks like?

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #3
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter200 View Post
Can we see what the shirt looks like?
Absolutely! I've edited the initial post to include them. Bear in mind that these are my Photoshop mock-ups. Real deals will be nice!
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.

Last edited by A26B; 06-17-2009 at 03:04 AM.
Old 06-16-2009   #4
scottfab

I don't see a date.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009   #5
A26B

Sorry Scott. I didn't make this thread to include all the particulars, just to drum up the registration for when it hit the Registry Store, and stress the importance of participating in the track events. I have redone the initial post to include everything I know at present. Please post here if something is missing.

Jerry

Last edited by A26B; 06-17-2009 at 03:05 AM.
Old 06-17-2009   #6
A26B

Who's going to be there?

I know the following are....

Ron, Las Vegas, NV
Marc, Addison, IL
Henry, Caledonia, MI
Charlie, Blue Springs, MO
Glen, New Braunfels, TX
Joe, Okemos, MI
Keith, East Jesus, MO
Jim, Wichita, KS
George, Waynesboro, GA
Rick, Houston, TX
Brian, Shreveport, LA
Ted, Paradise, FL

Last edited by A26B; 06-19-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-17-2009   #7
dbriana

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
Who's going to be there?

I know the following are....

Ron, Las Vegas, NV
Marc, Addison, IL
Henry, Caledonia, MI
Charlie, Blue Springs, MO
Glen, New Braunfels, TX
Joe, Okemos, MI
Keith, East Jesus, MO
Jim, Wichita, KS
George, Waynesboro, GA
Rick, Houston, TX
I made hotel reservations and planning to be there.

Brian, Shreveport, LA
dbriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009   #8
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbriana View Post
I made hotel reservations and planning to be there.

Brian, Shreveport, LA
That's great Brian!
Old 06-22-2009   #9
AtsZR1

Registration check is in the mail...See you in Stillwater! Henry
1963 Split Window Coupe
1954 Roadster
AtsZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009   #10
A26B

If you are planning to attend Thunder at Stillwater II, we really need for you to register ASAP. SImply put, ZR1Registry events are for all of us and if we don't get enough attendance to make it happen, then it won't.

Right now, I have contacted several VIP guests who have been kind enough to set aside several days to attend. I am also juggling track events, trying to keep our requested dates open and reserved for us, without obligating any funds. I have a hotel that has allocated a block of 40 rooms for the event and given us a discounted rate.

Bottom line is, it won't work without attendance. Consequently, out of courtesy to the VIPs invited, the tracks holding dates open for us and the hotel, I am obliged to set a deadline for minimum registration to hold the event. The number of registrants on Aug 5, 2009 will determine whether Thunder at Stillwater II will proceed.

So, if you're planning on attending and participating, please register soon!

FYI, if you register & pay, your payment will be refunded if the event is cancelled.

Thanks,