ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Corvette > Corvette Audio/Electronics

Old 08-09-2005   #1
We Gone

Default 100 watt rear amps

How many of you know you can change the rear bose amps from the 50 watt to 100 watt amps..did mine a few years back after Gordon K. told me about it.

Lots more bass out of the rear speakers.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold

Last edited by We Gone; 08-09-2005 at 05:46 PM.
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #2
Z Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Gone
How many of you know you can change the rear bose amps from the 50 watt to 100 watt amps..did mine a few years back after Gordon K. told me about it.

Lots more base out of the rear speakers.
I saw a few amps on ebay a while back that were either 100 or 150. I called Bose to ask about them, and the tech said they were aftermarket amps. He recommended against using them.

You are actually the 1st person I have heard say they upgraded their amp watts, so where did you get them, and how much of a difference do they make for overall sound quality?
Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005   #3
We Gone

Well I was at Gordon’s ZR-1 class in 02 and he told me about using 99 100-watt amps in the rears, in fact he gave me one and I had to find the other. I would have to pull one to find the part #, Anyway I called one of the Bose radio repair company’s and talked with them about it. I believe they where out in Oregon anyway they can take any C5 100-watt Bose amp and change the plug so it will work in the C4 box.

The amp is a bit larger than the one that comes in our C4s but will still fit. The depth of sound is much better and so is the bass. Hope this helps.

More power is alway better
Steve
Old 08-12-2005   #4
Z Factor

Quote:
I believe they where out in Oregon anyway they can take any C5 100-watt Bose amp and change the plug so it will work in the C4 box.

The amp is a bit larger than the one that comes in our C4s but will still fit. The depth of sound is much better and so is the bass. Hope this helps.

More power is alway better
Steve
I'm with you on the more power front Steve.

I will call Bose to check and see about any adapter that might be needed and look into whether or not they would do it if the speakers were sent directly to them.

Old 08-14-2005   #5
Z Factor

I spoke with Bose Car Audio on Friday. They said there is no upgrade in wattage available, and further stated that C5 amps put into C4 speakers could cause damage. I told them about your story and that things are working fine for you, but he said they will not retro fit anything like that into a C4 speaker.

I will be sending in all 4 speakers to have a complete change out of components including the speakers and amps this coming week. The only drawback to using Bose is the turn around time which is running 3-4 weeks at present.

Old 08-16-2005   #6
We Gone

Jim,

Well you got my curiosity up…so I went down and removed a rear speaker from old blue..As you can see it is in fact a Bose 100W amp out of a 99-rear corvette speaker. No mods were made to the AMP plug. It was a plug and play and has been playing with no issues for the last 3 years and trust me I play it loud. As the amp was a bit larger, I only used the lower two mounting holes. I do think Gordon was right on, if you get an opportunity drop him an e-mail about this.

Now run that by Bose they can even check the part # 182670-0199 on the amp.

Some things in life you just have to find out on your own

Last edited by We Gone; 08-16-2005 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-17-2005   #7
Z Factor

Quote:
As you can see it is in fact a Bose 100W amp out of a 99-rear corvette speaker. No mods were made to the AMP plug. It was a plug and play and has been playing with no issues for the last 3 years and trust me I play it loud.
Now run that by Bose they can even check the part # 182670-0199 on the amp.

Some things in life you just have to find out on your own
I certainly believed you, but Bose makes it sound like sacrilege, and wont do it for me regardless. I think the tech said the amp for a C5 was running at 2 ohms as opposed to 1.

I will get on the horn with them to present this info with the picture and see what their thoughts are. I might just try looking for used amps from a C5 myself since you have had such good luck with yours.

Old 08-17-2005   #8
We Gone

Just be sure you look at the plugs..they changed after 99 and will not work.
Old 08-17-2005   #9
zr1mom

I usually see these higher amp amps in Carlisle every year for sale.
NCM Lifetime Member
zr1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005   #10
Z Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1mom
I usually see these higher amp amps in Carlisle every year for sale.
Well if you do please drop me a line as I might buy a few if the price is right. I should hear back from Bose tomorrow, but considering WG's luck, I might go this route now.