ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-03-2016   #11
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: ECM And Ignition Module Availability/ replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
The DIS (Ignition) Module is no small project. I have been working on a replacement for well over a year now and still actively pursuing the project.

The electronics are imbedded in epoxy, making access & repair of electronic components impractical.

Add to that, the program stored in the ROM chip cannot be read & code is unknown.

The "replacement" will be plug & play into the engine harness, although the electrionic connections may be wire leads from the module to the connector instead of the present one-piece mold for all 4 connectors. It will require utilization of the aluminum mounting plate from the original DIS module.

As for the development cost, I expect it to exceed $35,000.00 to produce beta test samples. Development will include actual engine dyno sessions before releasing the beta modules.

I hadn't planned on releasing this info because ultimate unit costs, delivery schedule, etc. are not known and always have hiccups along the way, but I couldn't ignore the concern for the future of our ZR-1's.

Damn Jerry!!! This is Awesome news and Scary news at the same time. Especially the reverse engineering aspect. I will venture to guess the Epoxy that covers these units is the reason the electronics have survived the heat for so long!!!
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 08-03-2016 at 11:45 AM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #12
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Damn Jerry!!! This is Awesome news and Scary news at the same time
The scary part is, I am sure, is your concern for the ultimate cost per module. For most businesses, there are certain economic parameters, ROI, Payout, Rate of Return, and amortization of capital costs. Jerrys Gaskets is not a typical business. I can allow all of the other products to carry those parameters to keep the retail price in line, i.e. a price that will keep the ZR-1 LT5 alive.

I like to think of it as a joint effort...... All of the support that Jerrys Gaskets has received over the last 8 years, has enabled the development and manufacture of many different parts that became extinct.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.

Last edited by A26B; 08-03-2016 at 11:54 AM.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #13
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
I have been dealing with older FI cars for some time now. What I have noticed is usually Cold Solder joints fail or capacitors/transistors die. Anyone who had an older TV back before they were really cheap may remember the TV repair man. They were good at working on small electronics and replacing these critical electrical components.

What we need to find an old DIS and send it off to an ECM rebuilder to see if it can be re-furbed. Such as redoing all the solder joints and replacing any questionable components. I had old TV repair shops do this for me in the past with great success.

Can anyone tell me exactly what the DIS does? Does the ECM not send any type of signal to the coils?
Billy DIS is an Acronym (Distributerless Ignition System) This is the LT5s electronic Distributer that is pancaked on the underside of the Plenum. If it dies. Your done.

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 08-03-2016   #14
LGAFF

Jerry the Mercedes Ignition Transformer is repairable and its in the same Epoxy.....

Quote:
The DIS (Ignition) Module is no small project. I have been working on a replacement for well over a year now and still actively pursuing the project.

The electronics are imbedded in epoxy, making access & repair of electronic components impractical.

Add to that, the program stored in the ROM chip cannot be read & code is unknown.

The "replacement" will be plug & play into the engine harness, although the electrionic connections may be wire leads from the module to the connector instead of the present one-piece mold for all 4 connectors. It will require utilization of the aluminum mounting plate from the original DIS module.

As for the development cost, I expect it to exceed $35,000.00 to produce beta test samples. Development will include actual engine dyno sessions before releasing the beta modules.

I hadn't planned on releasing this info because ultimate unit costs, delivery schedule, etc. are not known and always have hiccups along the way, but I couldn't ignore the concern for the future of our ZR-1's.
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #15
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
Jerry the Mercedes Ignition Transformer is repairable and its in the same Epoxy.....
and then... there is the code issue.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 08-03-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-03-2016   #16
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
and then... there is the code issue.
So only scavenging from a dead unit and transplants are the only way forward for now. My kingdom for lack of a horseshoe mail comes to mind. I wonder why that chip cant be read.

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 08-03-2016   #17
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
So only scavenging from a dead unit and transplants are the only way forward for now. My kingdom for lack of a horseshoe mail comes to mind. I wonder why that chip cant be read.

Well, we could make new aluminum bases for each unit, but it just adds bucks to the cost.. The base will be optional as some yet-to-be-determined price.
Old 08-03-2016   #18
Billy Mild

So there is no other way to drive the ignition?
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #19
XfireZ51

Jerry,

Giving any consideration to driving individual cylinder coils?
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #20
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Jerry,

Giving any consideration to driving individual cylinder coils?
Dom,

I am a big fan of the cylinder coils, but my agenda for Jerrys Gaskets is to fill the parts vacuum with direct replacement parts that require no modifications and perform exactly as stock. By far, the bulk of my customers are only interested in keeping the ZR-1 running, in stock condition. You know me though.... personally I am a mod addict. So much so, my ZR-1 isn't really a go for a Sunday afternoon drive..... on public roads anyway

Quote:
Billy Mild, So there is no other way to drive the ignition?
Sure there is, just requires a different system (aftermarket) that requires modifications and non-stock appearance.