ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-29-2010   #1
-=Jeff=-

Default A/C issues.. Are these normal?

So my A/c sort of works.. but i want it to work better (if that is possible)

Last year when I went on a 3 day trip with the car it had a hard time keeping the interior cool when the sun was out, if the sun was behind a cloud the AC worked better. Then I thought it was low on charge (it is converted to r134a)

This year I have the same issue, but not only with temperature but Volume of air coming out the vents. I replaced the blower motor with one I had. the blower motor I installed seemed to spin better then the old, but the volume is still not there

When I had the Blower out i looked to see if the Evaporator was plugged with junk, but looking through the motor hole, the Evap looked okay

Where do I need to look now? I know on a 90 deg day currently i get about a 30 deg drop out the vents so my A/C charge could be low, or maybe my Compressor just is not working as it should. (need to throw gauges on it again)

about 2 years ago with the AC on, the compressor did make and odd noise, I shut it off and then tried it a few weeks later and it seemed fine then and no issues since.

Since I have had to replace most of the accessories off the belt, maybe the compressor is bad and it is not cooling the ac as much. since on a High blower the ac air seems cooler then on a lower blower setting, while my Daily ride the air is cooler if the blower is slower...

Dunno, looking for suggestions and ideas of what to check next
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #2
Aurora40

Default Re: A/C issues.. Are these normal?

FWIW, mine is fairly unimpressive in operation too. The air is cool, but the volume of air doesn't quite cut it. It definitely works better when the car is moving though.

I had mine discharged, the expansion tube changed, purged, and refilled (R-12) about two years ago to make sure the charge level was right.

If the car is always garaged when stopped, it seems to be adequate to keep the car cool. But if the car is baking in the sun, the A/C never really gets it cool again.

I sort of think that's just how the A/C is.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #3
-=Jeff=-

thanks bob,

how is the temp out of the vents on the lower speed settings? mine seem like th only way I get cool air is on High fan (C60 so only 4 speeds) my 89 had better AC cooling ( out the vents)
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 07-29-2010   #4
GOLDCYLON

Mine comes out in the 55 degree region. I was having problems with air volume but I resolved that with a new blower motor a few years ago. I remember reading that the reason that we have that nifty front solar loaded glass was because GM undersized our AC compressors due to fitment issues with the LT5. So the engineering compromise was the Sun loaded front windshield. So if your not running with a factory windshield..... That will heat things up a little.

My Friend Phil was complaining about his volume of air recently in his 91. I think these above issues are a part of the problem or AC woes for all our cars. I know the Ac controller above the gas pedal can be a problem as well but the biggest problem with those controler have been to a soft vs. hard nipple collaspse in the 96 C4 platform only. This would cause an alternating flow between both the defroster and the normal vents.

My last thing to say Jeff is you mentioned you converted the car to 134A. I have done this to a few cars over the years and both times I have been completely unimpressed by the cooling abilities of both vehicles. I would have used the artic freeze stuff or maybe a few cans of R12 from Mexico and not recommend converting over to 134. I realize you live in IL Jeff do I can understand not taking a run to Mexico (LOL)

Bob made a few good comments as well. The AC performs well when the car is moving, check underneath the car to see if the evap fins are bent or clogged as well. Just some comments and Ideas. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 07-29-2010 at 09:30 AM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #5
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
And you guys in AZ are fighting illegal immigration when they are bringing you R12
Who said they are bring it in lol
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #6
-=Jeff=-

Yeah R134a is not the best and the cool is not that of r12. but it is easier to get... LOL

I do have a regular replacement windshield which I know does not help.

for cooling I think I am going to buy a Parallel flow condenser to replace the tube and fin that is stock
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 07-29-2010   #7
rhipsher

I'm still running R12 but the A/C always sucked on these cars from everything I've heard. Youd think with as small of a cabin space we have that it shouldn't take that much to cool off. Another problem is that the transmission creates allot of heat that radiates up through the shifter boot. If I set my cell phone in one of the cup holders my cell phone gets really warm. So the A/C has that working against it to. More insulation would help in that area.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #8
John Boothby

Are you using the Auto mode? There is also a HIGH mode, you may want to check that to see if the volumn increases. My A/C works fine out here in Nevada. My problem is the engine starts to overheat in city traffic with the a/c on.
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Haibeck AYBKG5 Chip/RC Engineering/Flowmasters/K&N/Samco/Fuzzy Dice
:cheers:
John Boothby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #9
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Boothby View Post
Are you using the Auto mode? There is also a HIGH mode, you may want to check that to see if the volumn increases. My A/C works fine out here in Nevada. My problem is the engine starts to overheat in city traffic with the a/c on.
I have no auto mode.. I have C60 not C68.

I ordered a parallel flow condenser. After talking to a refrigerator guy at work ( as well as a car guy) he thinks the Compressor should be fine/ big enough, but the condenser might not be efficient enough, especially with r134a. He suggested I find a parallel flow Condenser to try which would improve cooling. I found one and bought it. once I get it I will post details, it is suppose to be a direct fit to our cars. I noticed that the 97-present corvettes also use a parallel condenser over the older tube & fin like we have.

maybe that is all I need.. (hope so)
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 07-29-2010   #10
pantera1683

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
I have no auto mode.. I have C60 not C68.

I ordered a parallel flow condenser. After talking to a refrigerator guy at work ( as well as a car guy) he thinks the Compressor should be fine/ big enough, but the condenser might not be efficient enough, especially with r134a. He suggested I find a parallel flow Condenser to try which would improve cooling. I found one and bought it. once I get it I will post details, it is suppose to be a direct fit to our cars. I noticed that the 97-present corvettes also use a parallel condenser over the older tube & fin like we have.

maybe that is all I need.. (hope so)

keep us updated
pantera1683 is offline   Reply With Quote