ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-18-2016   #1
Roadster

Default Another oil change completed......

Just did another oil change on the '94 w/65,000 miles. Used Mobil 1 10W-40 High Mileage even though I am not at the 75,000 threshold. Upon start-up oil pressure is right there within a few seconds. When first started cold pressure is close to 80 lbs., when warmed up, pressure is around 35-40 lbs.(I am assuming 2nd large middle mark on the gauge), @ idle.
Also have noticed, although not overly warm outside temps, the chain rattle seems to have been eliminated with the 10W-40 compared to the 5W-30. As has been mentioned before that the thicker oil may help this, it appears that is does work. Having restarted instantly after shut-down, or letting it sit for awhile, so far no chain rattle. Now, just last week on a trip with the old oil still in there, I was getting chain rattle, so this is a good thing. I may not have to be concerned with doing the chain rattle fix after all.

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016   #2
edram454

Default Re: Another oil change completed......

that is the oil i use on my 1990. No smoke because 90's dont have exhaust valve seals, quiet, no chain noise at all and plenty of zinc to keep everything very smooth inside. I recently had some engine work and inside the engine was very shiney and clean. My mechanic said it looked new inside the cam covers and the cams looked great. I will stick with my high zinc mobil 1 for as long as I have my Z.

ed ramos #3028

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016   #3
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
that is the oil i use on my 1990. No smoke because 90's dont have exhaust valve seals, quiet, no chain noise at all and plenty of zinc to keep everything very smooth inside. I recently had some engine work and inside the engine was very shiney and clean. My mechanic said it looked new inside the cam covers and the cams looked great. I will stick with my high zinc mobil 1 for as long as I have my Z.

ed ramos #3028
Sounds good Ed, it was from some threads here on the forum that I decided to use the High Mileage 10W-40 version of Mobil 1. I am real happy with my decision as mentioned above, especially with the absence of the chain rattle noise.
So what type of engine work did you have performed? Was it some type of maintenance issue or did you have something done to increase the performance?
BTW, I have used Mobil 1 for many, many years in 99% of my vehicles without any complications whatsoever...I like their products.
Although I will admit that our '03 Pontiac Vibe which now has 162,000 miles plus has never used anything but conventional oil all of its life. Still runs great and hardly uses any oil.......

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 03-19-2016   #4
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Sounds good Ed, it was from some threads here on the forum that I decided to use the High Mileage 10W-40 version of Mobil 1. I am real happy with my decision as mentioned above, especially with the absence of the chain rattle noise.
So what type of engine work did you have performed? Was it some type of maintenance issue or did you have something done to increase the performance?
BTW, I have used Mobil 1 for many, many years in 99% of my vehicles without any complications whatsoever...I like their products.
Although I will admit that our '03 Pontiac Vibe which now has 162,000 miles plus has never used anything but conventional oil all of its life. Still runs great and hardly uses any oil.......
Roadster,

I just my 2003 Vibe GT 6 speed w 200k on the clock. Oil changes every 4K miles and still didn't use oil. What a great little DD it was w lots of room. NEVER had it in for ANY warranty work except for the airbags. 30mpg at 75mph.

I use 15W-40 CASTROL GTX Diesel on my LT-5. I like the thicker oil. Has sufficient zinc in it also.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016   #5
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Some info for Mobil 1 users:

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us...ecs-guide.ashx

Zinc...

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/news/...-in-motor-oil/

Some head-to-head comparisons...

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Per the 4-ball wear testing, and Marc Haibeck's recommendations, my choice has been the Amsoil 10W-40 full synthetic. I've NO chain rattle after the first couple seconds after the engine starts. Once oil pressure is up, there's no rattle...ever, consumption is typical for a 90 LT5 with seals installed on all valves (modification via Marc Haibeck).

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016   #6
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Roadster,

I just my 2003 Vibe GT 6 speed w 200k on the clock. Oil changes every 4K miles and still didn't use oil. What a great little DD it was w lots of room. NEVER had it in for ANY warranty work except for the airbags. 30mpg at 75mph.

I use 15W-40 CASTROL GTX Diesel on my LT-5. I like the thicker oil. Has sufficient zinc in it also.
XfireZ51, yes the Vibe/Matrix line has been very reliable to say the least. Our Vibe needed a intake manifold gasket a few years ago, and this year needed, a RR wheel bearing, a RF brake caliper & new front pads. It will need a complete rear brake rebuild (new drums, brakes, hardware, etc.) as it still has the original items back there, the rear brakes have not had any replacement parts in all of these years and with all of the mileage. So I can not complain at all, for this vehicle doesn't owe me a penny. A side note, I still say that the micro-fiber seats in our Vibe are still one of the most comfortable seats ever put in a car.....JMO........
Besides batteries, front brake work, and tires, that is it......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Some info for Mobil 1 users:

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us...ecs-guide.ashx

Zinc...

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/news/...-in-motor-oil/

Some head-to-head comparisons...

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Per the 4-ball wear testing, and Marc Haibeck's recommendations, my choice has been the Amsoil 10W-40 full synthetic. I've NO chain rattle after the first couple seconds after the engine starts. Once oil pressure is up, there's no rattle...ever, consumption is typical for a 90 LT5 with seals installed on all valves (modification via Marc Haibeck).

Paul, thanks for the good reading material, will have to read it a few times to absorb all of the info. Will probably try the Amsoil next time around. As for now, I am very happy with no chain rattle. I also used the Bosch oil filter I had in stock. I still have a K&N filter to use before going back to the AC DELCO unit.

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 03-19-2016   #7
WB9MCW

NUFF SAID - MY Z LUV'S IT

BTW STARTED FINE EVEN IN
THE COLD CHICAGO JAN-FEB TEMPS
NO CHAIN RATTLE AT ALL EITHER
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by WB9MCW; 03-19-2016 at 02:14 PM.
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016   #8
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB9MCW View Post

NUFF SAID - MY Z LUV'S IT

BTW STARTED FINE EVEN IN
THE COLD CHICAGO JAN-FEB TEMPS
NO CHAIN RATTLE AT ALL EITHER
Never heard of that brand, always good to know of another alternative....
Just got back from an afternoon ride, before a wipe down and cover-up in the garage......restarted the engine 3 times, 2 quick starts & 1 delayed start....
no hint or even the slightest possibility of any chain rattle.......

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member