ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-16-2011   #1
mgbrv8

Default ZR1 was acting funny last night

Well I stopped to gas up and when I got back in the courtesy lights would not turn off. Well when I stopped to pick up the girlfreind I pulled the courtesy fuse and turned off the lights that also killed the radio and a/c. I then put the fuse back and the all I got was heat out of the vents for a long time and then it finally cooled off. On a side note my security system is acting funny. When i lock my doors with the door lock switch and then go back to unlock it with the key the alarm goes off. Now if I lock the doors manually the alarm wont go off.

Dave
mgbrv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #2
Kevin

Default Re: ZR1 was acting funny last night

I have an idea. open your doors and find the little black plunger on the door. get a small flat head screwdriver and GENTLY wiggle it out and then apply some wd40 and then move it by hand a few times to get it lubricated and see if that helps. it did for mine.
Old 08-16-2011   #3
QB93Z

I had some of your same problems. The cause was a bad Door Ajar switch on the driver's door. I replaced the switch and corrected the lights and alarms problems.

Here is the GM Part #: 10098478 I just ordered some more switches from GM Parts Direct.

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #4
gbrtng

The plastic button in the door sill is collapsing - shim it with a couple of layers of duct tape. You probably don't need a new door switch.
Old 08-16-2011   #5
rhipsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrtng View Post
The plastic button in the door sill is collapsing - shim it with a couple of layers of duct tape. You probably don't need a new door switch.
Glenns right. Had the same thing happen to me years ago. I just took an old credit card and cut out a piece the same dia as the button on the door sill and cut one side so it looks like pac man with his mouth open with a hole in the center and just slip it behind the plastic button. It simply spaces the button out further. Quick fix.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #6
mgbrv8

Well first off they seem to be working cause with either door or rear hatch open the "Door ajar light turns on, and when the courtesy lights wouldn't turn off and I pulled and replaced the fuse then they worked fine. Dose anyone have pictures of the mods they made to the switch??
mgbrv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #7
rhipsher

The mods won't be to the switch. They will be to the plastic button inside the door jam.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #8
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
Glenns right. Had the same thing happen to me years ago. I just took an old credit card and cut out a piece the same dia as the button on the door sill and cut one side so it looks like pac man with his mouth open with a hole in the center and just slip it behind the plastic button. It simply spaces the button out further. Quick fix.
Wocka Wocka Wocka A good idea I never thought of that one. I just replaced the switch last time.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 08-16-2011 at 04:03 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #9
gbrtng

You can fix most anything with duct tape or WD-40; the trick is knowing which one.
Old 08-16-2011   #10
crossfire

I had this problem a few years back with a '96 that I had. I work nights so I drove the car at night alot. It was as if the car was possessed. The replacement door ajar switches from Corvette Central were crap and I un-installed and returned to them. I re-installed the original switches and pulled the self-adjusting plungers out. Weird. It worked ok after that. Every few weeks I would just check the plungers to make sure they didn't start to shorten themselves. You can try something as simple as just pulling the door ajar switch plungers out. It might work for you as it did for me.
1994 LPE 475HP, Torch Red #400
1996 G.S. #45
crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote