Old 07-12-2014   #11
HIZNHRZ

Default Re: My "new" 1995 ZR-1 with 1853 miles

Congrats. Beautiful car!
HIZNHRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014   #12
JThomas

Very nice Joe. I enjoyed meeting you and Clint earlier this year.
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014   #13
GSJoe

Thank you, Joe. The car now has about 3400 miles on it after Clint and I returned from Carlisle a couple of weeks ago. Sorry you were not there to see it and experience Carlisle again. We remember you well from Bowling Green in May and your exceptional driving of Robert's car in the autocross. Clint might have come in in 3rd place were it not for that superb driving. It was, however, a sight to behold.
GSJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014   #14
5ABI VT

Beautiful car ! That must be like a time warp with those miles wow !
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014   #15
GSJoe

A time warp...exactly so! It's like 1990 all over again for me when I bought my first ZR-1 brand new. I'm driving and enjoying this '95. A few weeks ago my godson and I drove it to Carlisle, PA for the annual Corvettes at Carlisle event. It was a rainy weekend and the underside of the car saw road water for the first time. It survived, and the car worked impeccably. Right now the odometer reads about 3400 miles...and counting.
Old 09-12-2014   #16
Hog

Beautiful car Joe!!!
I'm glad the previous owner "saved" his car for you. I am living vicariously through you and other members enjoyment of actually driving their cars. Something that my family understands about automobiles, is that no matter the car, they were built to be driven.
My Father did a Southern car back in 1991, it was known as "Southern Belle" as that was my parents CB callsign that was used when they would caravan around North America with their friends.

Some highlights:
This car was used by GM to make a Superbowl commercial, back for the 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier
Snap-On Tools used the car at an international show for the introduction of their non-Red colour palate used on their tool boxes. They lifted the car up and set the car's tires down on top of 4 of their new Tropical Turquoise tool boxes.
Snap-On also featured the car in the 1997 Snap-On calendar, month of March with all the other Turquoise cars. Selection was from across North America and Europe.
It is a CCI/CCCC judged multiple Platinum certificate car, peaking in the mid 90's scoring 993/1000 points, retaining at LEAST Gold Certificate status for over two decades while having 75,000 miles added to it's driveline since the 1991 frame off resto which started the odometer off at zero miles.

Mom and Dad once drove to Florida, from Southwestern Ontario, Canada about a 24 hours drive. Upon arrival at Florida's east coast, they found a boat launch and dipped Southern Belle's rear tires in the Atlantic. They then drove across the USA eventually repeating her "Christening" , this time in the Pacific Ocean in the State of California. Needless to say they won "long distance" awards at every single show across the country that they stopped at. And yes, these were judged events.

Purists scoffed when "Southern Belle" arrived at the hotels all grimy with road dirt before the shows. They wondered how someone could actually "drive" a car, of quality, that long of a distance. Thinking to themselves that their own show car, neatly nestled in its trailer in the parking lot, will kick this grimy "driven" car when judging time comes.
These thoughs are occurring as my M & D are unloading suitcases from "Southern Belle's" trunk and taking them to their room.
The next day, Mom and Dad would find a local U-Wash, pull out their crate of detailing products and do their magic. Then once she was all shiny and cute again, they would go find a local garage/shop who wouldnt mind sharing their car hoist so that the cars "underbelly" was made ready for judging.
After judgeing was over, it came trophy time, more often than not, that "driven" car would outscore the trailered cars. (even the guys that would transport their "trailer queens" to the hotel, unload there, then drive 5 miles to the show and enter their cars in the driven class) yes, people actually do that.

Then just over 2 years ago, Dad passed away. Mom and I took that pretty hard. Everytime I would work in the shop, I would see "Southern Belle" resting in her bay, all "tucked in" under her car covers. Her whitewalls just begging to see some pavement, her life meter reading 75,000 miles.

After a few months, Spring arrived, and I said to Mom, "You and Dad enjoyed showing/vacationing in that car, why not try it out for yourself? " So plans were made, the show was selected as was a travel companion. A fellow newly widowed lady who was very good "show and car" buddies with Mom and Dad.
I spent a few days prepping the car, raiding Dad's old stash of NOS parts where needed, certain headlights, certain tag on the radiator, the tar top battery was swapped out for a modern version-but saved for judging. Mom didnt have her star mechanic of 43 years, who provided consistent and loving service, sitting in the opposite seat anymore. As such, the car had to be safe and reliable, esp. with the three ladies (Mom, her friend & Southern Belle) travelling in a different country.
Nashua, New Hampshire was the chosen destination who was holding a certified, judged car show, so look out Nashua, here comes "Thelma & Louis".
700 miles later, the 3 ladies arrived safe and sound. They both met with old friends at the show, some of which they hadnt seen in many years. Mom heard a lot of "Where's John?" with many show attendees not knowing of his death the previous year. The first day of that show had it's fair share of tears and hugs. But prep for the show had to go on, and on day 2 the judges descended on the cars.

All told the "Southern Belle" scored a 948/1000 points, which is a Silver Certificate (2 points short of a Gold Certificate), but she won "Best in Class" and was one of the runners up for "Best in Show". And in true fashion and still laid waste to her fair share of "trailer queens".

Mom gave me a phone call before leaving New Hampshire and heading for home. Mom voiced her disappointment over scoring "ONLY" a Silver Certificate and that maybe she didnt do as good of a job as Dad would have liked. I told her that Dad would have been proud of her, for not only having the balls to drive the 1400 miles for a show in the States, but also for enjoying the car that he built,---- that he built to DRIVE. The three ladies all made it home safe, without so much as a glitch during the whole trip.

A couple months later, the judging entity mailed us the scoring sheets, and I wasnt surprised. I knew the tires had some miles, the undercarriage wasnt detailed as it usually was, etc etc etc. But I tried my best, with what I had, and sent Mom with safe, reliable car.
Over 1400 miles of 65-70mph cruising with a 2 speed Powerglide(cast iron case back then=heavy), stock 3.36 rear gears and 26" tires(IIRC) revving 2750-3000rpm. The single 4bbl PowerPack 283 netted 18 US mpg(I asked Mom to keep receipts so she did), so I had her tuned pretty damn good IMO.

People used to ask Dad, if he was worried about the miles he accrued driving the car to all these car shows all over North America. He replied no, that he "BUILT THE CAR TO DRIVE".

I try to take Southern Belle out for a drive at least every 2 weeks when the weather is nice. And every time I hear "Did you have your Dad's car out last night?" I reply, "Yes, just taking her out to stretch her legs". And almost always, the next comment is "Are you sure you should be driving it so much? Doncha wanna keep the miles down for when you sell her'?
A) That car isnt leaving the family, for many, many years.
and
B) My Dad built that car with the sole purpose to DRIVE IT!
So I have continued with my weekly or bi-weekly 10-15 mile drives through the hometown where Dad and I were raised. Down the same main drag, with the same buildings echoing the same Chev SBC sounds for over half a century.
Back in the day his "noise" was made by a 365hp/327 L76 non-fuelie-in his 57 with the sheetmetal filled rear window with a diamond shaped piece of glass inserted right in the middle.
Whenever the opportunity presents itself, "Southern Belle" sees local parade duty and takes the occasional cruise
The car with the diamond back window was called "Diamondback". This same car, after Dad had died, was "donated" back to me and my family, even after NOS sheetmetal was installed and a trailer load and pickup box full of spare parts came with the "donation".
I can only explain such a jesture of generosity because of the huge amount of respect Dad garnered during 30 years of frame straightening/alignments and other work that was always done the "right way". Not one advertisement, not one sign on his shop. Except for the cars in the driveway, youd never know a business was there. All word of mouth, fueled by quality work.
Very large shoes, no way I could even try to fill them.
So when "Southern Belle" is out in public, I try to do Dad's work justice and have her presentable.
Sometimes its just nice to drive. But most importantly every August, I drive her up see Dad.
Dad is probably pretty happy to see her in person, though as you can, see "Southern Belle" is represented at Dad's final resting place.

(As you can tell, DRIVING this car is important.)

Car just before I sent her to Nashua, New Hamphire with "Thelma & Louise".

Dad's add selling the "Diamondback" back in the early 70's.(The Vette engine is a true 365hp L76 327-same longblock as the 375hp L84 fuelie)

A pic of Diamondback at a car show here in Woodstock that Mom and Dad co-ordinated. The then owner of Diamondback trailered her to the show. This is circa 1995. I was on a weekend pass from Basic Training and came home for the car show.

And here is a pic of Dad's old "Diamondback" on the trailer just after "coming home" after being donated to me in 2013.

Joe, I apologize for cluttering your thread, but I just got to posting about Dad and going through pictures, and felt like sharing. It reinforces the strong bonds that can be fashioned when a car is enjoyed when it is driven. You are essentially taking a new ZR-1, obviously a dream car, and seizing the opportunity to make lifelong memories. My hats off to you sir! I wish I could do what you are doing.(hopefully someday)

I dont mean to be hacking on the trailered guys, or the non-driving collectors, too much, it's all in good fun. So long as YOU"RE happy, that's all that matters.
When at the shows, dont sneer down on the driven cars, as there just might be a Southern Belle in attendance just to keep you honest.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494

Last edited by Hog; 09-13-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #17
GSJoe

No apologies necessary, sir. This is a great story, and I thank you for sharing. I'm sure we ZR-1 people--people who share a real passion for our very unique car and drive it with a super grin on our face every time we get behind the wheel--can relate to your story and its message. One cannot help but be touched by the human interest side of your story as well. I hope it will be read by many of our members and other frequenters of this website. It is both inspiring and moving. Thanks again.
Old 09-12-2014   #18
WB9MCW

Holy Smokes HOG that is a wonderful story you posted. Brought a tear to my eye. No doubt in my mind your Pop is smiling down form the heavens above and ever so proud of you. I think you are doing a fine job filling those shoes BTW. When you have a father that is/was your hero it is very hard to imagine that you are filling those shoes. But not to worry we just do the best we can and live up to the honesty and moral compass that out fathers instilled into us as we were growing up. That is all we have to do and rely on the fact that we know they are smiling down from above on us and telling all "That there is my boy alright and I sure am proud of him".

I think you should go to edit mode and do a copy/paste and then make your own thread of this fabulous story in the off topic section so all can see.

It is that great of a story and it warrants its own thread for all to see IHMO. Thanks ever so much for sharing it with us all.
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by WB9MCW; 09-12-2014 at 01:06 PM.
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014   #19
Fully Vetted

Yeah, Hog, that was great and it hit home. Having lost my Dad last Dec I'm having a lot of those moments while I'm working his shop and taking care of his Harley. Thanks for sharing...

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014   #20
on3wego

Good looking "Z"!. Enjoy the ride.
'95 Blk/Tan #208
NCRS "Top Flight"
on3wego is offline   Reply With Quote