ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-01-2020   #1
Growler

Default Looking to get into my 1st ZR1

It's been one of my favorite cars every since they came out, and with my other hot rods getting close to being complete I'd like to grab one.. I had a built head/cam C5Z a while back and wish I still had it.. Went head to head with a Rippie ZR1 back in the day, and fell in love with it.. Plus the LT5 is a work of art.. How do they compare with the C5Z's? What's the best years to have? Modding them a nono at this point? I'm not a huge fan a stock cars.. Been reading this site a lot and a lot of good stuff here.. Looking forward to learning as much as possible
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020   #2
Dynomite

Default Re: Looking to get into my 1st ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler View Post
the LT5 is a work of art.. Looking forward to learning as much as possible
Yes...The LT5 IS a Work Of Art

[LT5 Modifications/Rebuilds Details]

Last edited by Dynomite; 11-01-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020   #3
tccrab

Buy whatever one you like, theyre all good.
Drive one first, get to know the feeling and sound of a healthy LT5.
Tell us where you live and I'm sure one of the members here will give you a ride and key you into all the technical aspects.
These days its far cheaper to buy a modded car if thats what you want.
They trade fairly often and some really great buys can be had.
There are lots of ZR1s listed on eBay, but be forewarned, rarely a good deal is to be had from there.
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]

Last edited by tccrab; 11-01-2020 at 02:25 PM.
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020   #4
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Year doesn't matter if you're going to mod them, tho the later years are truly refined.

Porting and exhaust will get you into the 510HP league w/o sacrifice to drivability or gas mileage (Cruise control set at 75mph and I still get 26.4 mph. The "510" package consisting of porting, headers, 3" exhaust, and tune.)

What's not to like!!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020   #5
Ccmano

Welcome! You found the right place. This is the friendliest most helpful group of its kind on the internet. Educating yourself about these cars before you buy is the best way to find the right car for you and minimize unrealistic expectations that could later sour the experience.

Remember, your buying a ~30 year old car. There will be challenges with parts availability and repairs. Your best off to learn the car and do your own work, if your capable. Even low mile cars can have major issues from simply sitting. Also be aware your dealing with 1st generation automotive computer electronics that are, in many cases, very unlike today's electronics. Generally, within this community, parts availability is not a problem. Especially with supporting vendors like JerrysGaskets.com. Don't expect to find many LT5 specific parts from the normal sources.

You ask about comparing the ZR-1 to a C5 Z06 and such. Simply put there really is no comparison. The C5 chassis is more refined. But the C4 will handle as well if not better depending on what you do with it. The C4 is a more raw, visceral even analog driving experience. Squeaks and rattles included. The LT5 and the LS1/6 could not be more different. LS motors need no explanation. The LT5 is more European in nature with a ~7200 rpm redline and most of its power (hp & torque) well above 4000 rpm. Don't look for the LT5 to have the low end torque of an LS. Its simply a different experience.

In any case, poke around here, ask questions and like has been said see if you can find a local owner and drive one.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020   #6
Stingray1967

I own a modded '94 ZR-1 and a good friend bought a stock '02 Z06. WILDLY different cars.

My car has improved air flow to the engine (ported plenum, injector housings, and headers), 4.10 gears and upgraded cooling and braking. The rest of the engine is stock (injectors, cams, crank, etc). My car is a LOT more engaging to drive on the road than the Z06 was. The Z was more tight feeling (in a good way), quieter (he has the trunk divider in it) and smoother.

When driving the Z06, I immediately missed the high RPM and how the car was "wrapped" around me. A good friend of mine once said, "You get into a C5, and you PUT ON a C4."

Were the C5Z modded, I'm sure my impression would have been different.
Stingray1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020   #7
Corvette95

One common thing I see in threads like this is.... ZR-1 or any decent to nice C4, you need to understand these are hands on cars. You will need a factory service manual. If you ( and I am not saying you are- this will answer future questions like this) plan on learning the car and be able to work on your own car, if you send your car out every time an issue pops up, it will never be cost effective and you will not love the car. I am not saying they aren't great cars, on the contrary, they are but at 30 years old, these cars need regular maintenance and lots of little small items all the time. I personally believe you fix and issue when it occurs, the worst thing to do is let a lot of little issue pile up and when you go to fix multiple items at once, it makes diagnosis and repairs much harder than it needs to be. The ZR-1 is a GEM in the car world and one of the most under appreciated vehicles EVER. NOTHING beats opening the hood of a clean ZR-1 LT5 engine, nothing even comes close to that awe inspiring view of the C4 ZR-1 not the C5.C6,C7, C8...period. JMHO
1989 C4 Conv Wht/Red Auto SOLD
1996 C4 Conv Black/Tan Auto SOLD
1994 C4 Coupe Wht/Blk SOLD
1995 C4 ZR-1 White/Gry #278 Dual Dunn Head SOLD
1986 C4 Coupe Black/Red 4+3 SOLD
1990 C4 ZR-1 Red/Red #0454
Corvette95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020   #8
EvanZR1

I think pretty much everything has been covered. My biggest piece of advice, if you're looking to mod one, see if you can find one that's already done. Will be way cheaper than doing it all fresh (speaking from experience).

I'll echo the sentiment that there's nothing else like a C4 ZR-1, it's American muscle combined with European exoticness. The LT5 at 7000+ rpm is a joy (especially a modded/built one). It may not sound like much, but the extra revs over the 6500 of an LS1/2/3/6 make a big difference (especially in my case with a 7400rpm limit). I've had C5s (including Z06), C6s (GS & ZR1) and C7, and my modded C4 ZR-1 is the most raw, driver focused driving experience of any of them. The only one that compares for fun/uniqueness is my C6 ZR1, but that car has over 200HP more, an incredible sound (between the exhaust & blower whine) and is an even rarer color.
SOLD - Steel Blue 91 391cid ZR-1 #391
SOLD - Black 91 ZR-1
EvanZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020   #9
Prez1967

I was on the hunt for a "normal" 95/96 C4 when I stumbled upon a Z owner at a local Cars and Coffee.

Bought my 1994 ZR1 about a week later

Work on your own cars, stay connected to the network of enthusiasts via this Registry and and the car will be a joy to own.

I've got a laundry list of items "TO-DO" on my car but thats going to be fun!

All Corvettes are beautiful and the C4Z is a modern marvel, but the Z community adds another level of enjoyment to an already AMAZING car.
1994 #353 "Bluey"
Prez1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020   #10
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray1967 View Post
A good friend of mine once said, "You get into a C5, and you PUT ON a C4."
Yep! Well put!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved