ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-19-2008   #11
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: Weak Coils?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON
Bobby I replaced my coils during the last plenum pull with AC/Delcos. I picked up the set of 4 from thepartsladi on Ebay. I believe the cost for all 4 was $140. Daryll
$155 now.. worth it to swap I think just for piec of mind
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #12
bobbyhi

When I talked to Doug Rippie this morning he said that he had the GM coils and was going to install tomorrow. He reiterated that fact that the after market coils will fail at some point - "cannot take the heat under the plenum". I don't know what the cost will be but having the peace of mind of what Doug said makes me feel better. He hopes to have the Z tuned and dyno'ed tomorrow. Hoping to see 390+ when it's done.
1990 #2405 White/Gray
Haibeck chip,4:09 gears,Power Effects Exhaust,5 spoke chrome,C5 brakes,49th Street rockers,K&N,Hurst,Headers,Upper & lower ported

Minnesota State Director
Founding Member #19
bobbyhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #13
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyhi
When I talked to Doug Rippie this morning he said that he had the GM coils and was going to install tomorrow. He reiterated that fact that the after market coils will fail at some point - "cannot take the heat under the plenum". I don't know what the cost will be but having the peace of mind of what Doug said makes me feel better. He hopes to have the Z tuned and dyno'ed tomorrow. Hoping to see 390+ when it's done.
Bob, stock coils will fail as well. The inside of the V of the block is nothing but a huge heat sink. I've been running Accels for a while, Rob has been running the MSD's. The only ones i know that have bad issues are the Scream'n Demon coils. The towers are really prone to cracking on those.

I will give you a call tomorrow as my travels are done for a while, and I can hear somebody on the phone instead of a car going by at 150.