ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-17-2008   #1
-=Jeff=-

Question Finally drove the Z.. But have issues>>

the Z drives GREAT when it wants.. I filled it with coolant today (using my current hoses until I get the others to install)

so I was driving around town, thent he car stumbled, back fired (pop) and died. It started right up running like crap.. I got it home (not too far) shut it off, popped hood and ooked aroufn for vacuum lines off etc.. nothing, started it up, runs fine..

I got my scan tool out and hooked it up. seemed fine.. then when it stumbled again I noticed something.. Left BLM was aroud 132, Right BLM was at 160.. I then noticed the right O2 was solid at 0v.. it would go to .45 with slight throttle but the Right injector pulse width was at like 10-12ms when the left was 4. then like magic, it cleared up and all was fine..

Looking over the whole scan, the Left and Right BLM, Injector pulse width, and O2 voltage track almost perfectly, but those few instances it get skewed.. now I guess there is a possibily of a sticking injector, but to stick then not stick? my other thought is a bad Passenger side O2? maybe intermittent?

Anyone one else have suggestions? Oh yeah, not DTC set..
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008   #2
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: Finally drove the Z.. But have issues>>

I forgot to add that when it is acting up it feels like it is loading up on fuel, then all of a sudden it is fine again. Not sure if that helps, I am kind of stumped at the moment
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 05-17-2008   #3
bradslt5

dont know if this will help jeff, but here goes . you might have a piece if something thats floating around in the fuel rails. i couldnt believe the trash that came out of the rails.you might also have a map sensor hose that is collapsing. i tried to cut one out of a hard rubber line without any extra line s.so it wont collapse . might ck and cleaN THE IAC if that stks . but it might be an o2 sensor or the fuel rail on that side wth the funky readings . hope this helps .
bradslt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008   #4
-=Jeff=-

Being it is the Right side only.. it has to be there, not any of the single sensors..

it is possible there is something in the rail I guess, but I am thinking of swapping the O2 first.
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 05-17-2008   #5
bradslt5

that sounds like a good plan. are you going to swap them or do you have a spare?
Old 05-17-2008   #6
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradslt5
that sounds like a good plan. are you going to swap them or do you have a spare?
I will probably try to pick one up tomorrow.. they probably both should bereplaced, but I will just do the one for now
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 05-18-2008   #7
bradslt5

I have found thT REPLACING THEM EVERY 40K KEEPS THINGS ALOT CLEANER .
Old 05-18-2008   #8
XfireZ51

Jeff,

I'll send you a scan I did today. All of a sudden BLMs are in the 115 range which is pegged at the bottom. Its both Rt and Lft. O2s track with each other although one seems a bit lazier than the other. Wonder if its a notchy TPS? Or exhaust leak, but on both sides?
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008   #9
tomtom72

Just some thoughts Jeff.

If you have the OEM injectors in theory they can't stick...according GM(?). I don't see why not & I don't see why they can't unstick themselves and then stick again....the disc has to keep the junk inbetween the pintal and the disc untill it pulverizes it enough to pass the holes in the disc. JMHO here

Also, when the car acted out, do you think it was lean or rich? Smell anything? Reason I asked is that maybe some injectors coils are shortting intermitantly....when my OEM injectors shorted badly they presented some rich BLM & Inte #'s, but the plugs & exhaust said dead lean along with the O2 readings on the worst bank.

Lastly, this thought crossed my mind & it's a dark one indeed.....quad driver issue....I hope not as ours are nla...Oh, just thought of this: how's the injector wiring harness?....I'll shut up now before I think of anything worse.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008   #10
-=Jeff=-

Tom, injectors are replacements.. I bought the FIC rebuilts, I have already received and email from Jon at FIC (great customer service). he said the same about injectors sticking and unsticking, rare to happen. but offered to send replacements if needed. I am really thinking it is the O2, in open loop it seemed fine from what I remember. being it happens on one side and not the other leads me to think it is a bank problem..

I don't think it is a quad driver, I thought those were primary and secondary, if so, then I would see it on both sides, not one in my scan..
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978