ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-29-2016   #1
GTOger

Default What is this cracking on my paint?

Hey guys,
I'm trying to work some blemishes on the hood of my car, and I'm not sure I'll be able to get it done without painting. Have you seen anything like in my pictures before? When I got after it, it looked chalky and all scratched. Since it had been outside in the summer sun at the shop in Central Texas for several months waiting on mechanicals, I figured that something had gotten on it or come into contact. But after working it with some compound, then moving on to color sanding before hitting it with compound again, it appears to me that the paint is cracking.

Is this the clearcoat failing after 27 years? Or the fiberglass underneath? None of the above? I wonder if there is something short of having the hood painted that can be done.

Note that after working these small areas for the better part of the afternoon, it looks better. Depending on the light, you might not notice. But hit the right glare and it's very obvious.

I'm hoping for some ideas from the collective braintrust here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paint1.jpg (68.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg paint2.jpg (58.5 KB, 55 views)
[B]1990 Corvette ZR-1 (#1930)
Red/Black, Stock Engine, Henderson Performance custom ECM, FIC Injectors, B&B exhaust, Kenwood DNX6160[/B]
Other Rides:
1992 Pontiac Firehawk (#010), 1967 Pontiac GTO
1998 Porsche 968, 2000 Harley Davidson FXST
1986 Pontiac Trans Am, 1931 Ford Model A Tudor Deluxe
GTOger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016   #2
KILLSHOTS

Default Re: What is this cracking on my paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOger View Post
Hey guys,
I'm trying to work some blemishes on the hood of my car, and I'm not sure I'll be able to get it done without painting. Have you seen anything like in my pictures before? When I got after it, it looked chalky and all scratched. Since it had been outside in the summer sun at the shop in Central Texas for several months waiting on mechanicals, I figured that something had gotten on it or come into contact. But after working it with some compound, then moving on to color sanding before hitting it with compound again, it appears to me that the paint is cracking.

Is this the clearcoat failing after 27 years? Or the fiberglass underneath? None of the above? I wonder if there is something short of having the hood painted that can be done.

Note that after working these small areas for the better part of the afternoon, it looks better. Depending on the light, you might not notice. But hit the right glare and it's very obvious.

I'm hoping for some ideas from the collective braintrust here.

I believe this is what's known as "checking". Apparently, very common with fiberglass. I don't have direct knowledge on how to fix it, but a google search should yield good info. Good luck.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016   #3
Vette73

My first question would be, were those scratches there before you bought the car to the shop? Looks like it's all to one small area and not spread out.....Any other evidence on different parts of the car?

I have a few minor spots on my 91 that wet sanding should be able to take out...Not experienced at all with wet sanding so I will leave it to a professional to take care of it.....Fiberglass is funny because from what I hear it's always moving......I also own a 73 with a recent paint job four years ago and you can see little stress cracks here and there on the car....I guess if your not going to treat the car like a garage queen it's something that you have to accept..

Let us know if you bring it to a detailer what he thinks...
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016   #4
G8nightman

Try wet sanding might make it less visible depending how deep it is.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2315 'SOLD'
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2774 'SOLD'
91 Chevy ZR1 Callaway aerobody
91 Chevy ZR1 #1512
91 Chevy ZR1 #951
95 Chevy ZR1 #338 'SOLD'
91 BMW 850i
94 BMW 850csi
95 BMW 850csi
94 Lotus Esprit S4
07 Benz CLS550
06 BMW M5 "SOLD"
G8nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016   #5
GTOger

Thanks guys. I think that Killshots was on the money. I did a little looking around and apparently it happens a BUNCH to RV owners. Which, of course, have a lot of fiberglass.

Wet sanding isn't something that frightens me and it made the situation a bit better. It's now very shiny and smooth. But you can still clearly see all the cracking in the paint.

When we got the car 6 years ago there was one patch of this on the hood. Now there are 3 distinct patches. It appears that the solution is going to be re-spray the hood.

Unfortunately, that's going to have to wait in line thanks to a dingbat realtor who darn near totaled my Trans Am. Or maybe did total it. Fortunately I've got good collector insurance on it and am well protected. Anyhow, after that's done, we can look at some Corvette cosmetics.
Red/Black, Stock Engine, Henderson Performance custom ECM, FIC Injectors, B&B exhaust, Kenwood DNX6160[/B]
Other Rides:
Old 12-30-2016   #6
Racinfan83

Quote:
Unfortunately, that's going to have to wait in line thanks to a dingbat realtor who darn near totaled my Trans Am. Or maybe did total it. Fortunately I've got good collector insurance on it and am well protected. Anyhow, after that's done, we can look at some Corvette cosmetics.
That sounds like an interesting story we need to hear...
I wonder if sitting out in the Texas sun contributed to the paint issue? Mine is covered and garaged all the time unless I'm driving it - but being black I wonder if it would be more prone to this issue if it did sit out for a time?
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016   #7
GTOger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinfan83 View Post
That sounds like an interesting story we need to hear...
Ooof. Well, despite it being brain damage to think about it's a little OT so I'll post it elsewhere and that way if anyone's interested they can see but no interference with the technical stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinfan83 View Post
I wonder if sitting out in the Texas sun contributed to the paint issue? Mine is covered and garaged all the time unless I'm driving it - but being black I wonder if it would be more prone to this issue if it did sit out for a time?
I'm sure that's the case. From what I have been reading, baking in the sun will expose the questionable fiberglass. The expansion and contraction of the material will cause the cracking. With my car, it was out on the South side of the building for the better part of a summer. The problem was already there... hiding... sneaking around in its microscopic ways until given the chance to thrive. And thrive it did.

A good body shop using modern materials ought to be able to put a finish on the fiberglass that will stand up better over time. At least, that's what I'm beginning to learn. While this car has been pretty well cared for over it's 27 year, 44k mile lifetime, it's no garage queen. But I'd still like for it to look nice...
Other Rides:
Old 12-30-2016   #8
Racinfan83

Yeah I hear that. Mine is pretty much a garage queen due to lack of time to drive it - and that I do show it, which means the more it gets driven the harder it is to clean up. I have the stuff to do a full paint correction on it - if I ever get time to do it. My hands are in bad shape (carpal + arthritis) so that isn't gonna be fun... I haven't seen any cracking like that in mine yet...

Sent from my LG-H830 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016   #9
GTOger

Thanks Racinfan83. And no disrespect intended in my comment. Another way to describe your car might be "time capsule."

For anyone interested in the story (with pics) of my poor Trans Am getting rear-ended by a clueless real estate agent (and thus putting off any ZR-1 paint project for a while), I've posted it here: http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?p=254942#post254942
Other Rides:
Old 12-30-2016   #10
WARP TEN

If you haven't yet, you might run it by a body shop that specializes in fiberglass repairs. Wouldn't cost anything and they might give you a more informed answer to your questions. It almost sounds like there have been repairs on the hood that are now not fairing well. But hard to say from long distance. It may well be that a little wet sanding would help but if it were mine I would have an expert look at it first to help with my decision. Wet sanding clearcoat well is a tricky art. The BMW/Mercedes/Land Rover/MINI dealer I worked at had only one very experienced guy in the detail/body shop who would do the wet sanding. Good luck with it! --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Last edited by WARP TEN; 12-30-2016 at 11:15 AM.
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote