ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 09-30-2020   #1
rush91

Default Z always surprises

Before I go any further, just wanted to say I don't street race nor do I drive like an a@#hole. BUT lol.....

I went to go put some Shell 93 octane in the Beast last night. On the way home on the highway, I can see some cars coming up from behind quickly. The speed limit is 55mph, but we here call this stretch of highway the Southern Illinois Autobahn. Because if your not going 65-70mph, your not keeping up with traffic. So these cars coming up fast were a 370Z ( which had the LOUDEST exhaust I've ever heard) and two BMWs. BMWs were both 4-doors, one was a newer M and the other I couldn't tell cause it was pretty dark already. They all fly by me, and the BMW M passes but then noticed me. He hits the brakes, slows down and pulls up along side me, reving his engine. And I must say that M sounded amazing!!

Traffic was thick, so I just kept cruising behind the wolf pack not wanting to egg this guy on. He then punched it weaving in and out of traffic to catch up with his buddies.....About 5 minutes later when I reach the next red light, of course there they all sit waiting for the green light. When I pull up, they all of course start reving up. Traffic had cleared by this time, light turns green and they fly off. I catch up, driving normally, about a mile down the road. I pass by them and then its on....the BMW M pulls up along side and is taunting me. We are going about 60ish, I'm in 4th gear. He takes off, so I drop into 2ND and floor it. Before I know it I look down and see 121mph on my speedo!! What the hell am I doing I say and back off. But you know how that gets the blood flowing and adrenaline going lol..... so we did another roll at about 50mph and I just pulled away. BEAST!!!!

I guess the point of my little story is how this car amazes me constantly. For a 30year old car to perform like that against modern cars is amazing! For a 30 year old car to get the respect from other high performance cars is cool. People see that ZR-1 emblem and they ALWAYS want to race, never fails. Being bone stock (expect Marc's chip) I can't imagine these cars with mods. Some of you with Marcs 510 package, or higher modded Zs, wow!! You must feel like your steering a rocket when you hit the gas!!!
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020   #2
WARP TEN

Default Re: Z always surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush91 View Post
..... Being bone stock (expect Marc's chip) I can't imagine these cars with mods. Some of you with Marcs 510 package, or higher modded Zs, wow!! You must feel like your steering a rocket when you hit the gas!!!
Never had that experience but it sounds like a lot of fun and one of the many reasons to own these and other Corvettes. And yes Marc's 350/510 HP was exhilarating. I made many a run in mine when alone and on the drag strips or tracks and it was always exciting to reset my PermaGrin. 405 stock HP is no slouch (originally 4.8 sec. 0-60 time when new) but 510 HP is even more fun. You should try it sometime. And if you ever think about moving on to a newer Corvette, a stock C7 Z06 with the 8 speed automatic does 0-60 in 2.95 seconds according to GM. Also a fair amount of fun! Ask Marc--every time I come down to have lunch with him he drives my Z06, not me! As noted below, "Too much horsepower is almost enough" -Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine (6).jpg (243.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 2016VAShow (6).jpg (188.7 KB, 21 views)
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Last edited by WARP TEN; 09-30-2020 at 12:03 PM.
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020   #3
XfireZ51

Went to Galena this past weekend w the gf. On US20, I could see a white low slung vehicle coming up. Lo and behold it was a C8, non-Z51. It was booking. Pulled up next to it and gave driver a wave. They waved back. I jumped on her tail( female driver) and we were cruising at over 90. If I had been alone it would have been different but I ultimately let off for reasons I am certain u can imagine.
😎😉
Funny thing tho. When I went to put gas in, I could only find 91 octane in that part of Illinois. Not sure why that is. Needless to say I drove a bit more gingerly to avoid any detonation.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020   #4
ram_g

Nice!

The other day I had a young kid in a late model Mustang GT pull up behind me at a stop light. After we started moving again he took the very first opportunity to change lanes to the right and zip past me...or so I thought. Actually he pulled up right alongside (we were both going about 45) and rolled his window down and gave me a huge thumbs-up, his arm entirely out the window. Then he fell back again until I had to turn off.

Respect...for a 30 year old car...from kids that might not even have been born then!
ram_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020   #5
Tripler

Had a young guy in a WRX pull up beside me at 30 mph and he does the 3 horn beeps then takes off . I had no idea why he was beeping his horn until he floored it and pulled away from me and I realized he wanted a little run down the road . I dropped it from 3rd to 2nd and very quickly caught up to and passed him before we got to the next light . He pulled up beside me with 2 thumbs up and turned right .
Had a slight smerk on my face all the way home . It was fun but a little nerve racking too . I like to keep my racing to the track . Roads are insanely dangerous now and up here speed limits are downto a crawl . Some areas down to 12 mph/30 kph . Yup . 12mph . Jeepers murphy .
Have fun , be safe .

Sent from my SM-A205W using Tapatalk
Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020   #6
secondchance

I enjoy eating rice occasionally.
Those who know me will see the humor in this.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020   #7
Young1

I had the targa off and a gentlemen in a pickup put his windows down at a light and said ?Is that really a ZR-1? How long have you had it? I can?t believe you actually drive it.? I politely answered ?They were built to drive.? Then i courteously let some smoke out of the Nittos.
1991 ZR-1 Quasar Blue Metallic/Black #729
Second Owner
1991 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Black #2040
SOLD

1990 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Saddle #1670
SOLD
Double your happiness.....complain half as much.
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020   #8
ram_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
I enjoy eating rice occasionally.
Those who know me will see the humor in this.
Ha ha - me too, me too!
ram_g is offline   Reply With Quote