ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Club Regional Areas > Japan

Old 03-29-2018   #1
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Back in Black

It’s been a few years since I posted here when I was in Japan from 2011-2014 with my 1990 Red/Saddle (sold and never looked back). I love my 95 Black/Black and what I always wanted. Such a different car in many ways for me and this one is a keeper.

I have been back since 2016 and finally have the new house and garage I wanted. I am getting ready to start my adventures in Japan so I figured I better post to keep this regional page alive.

Well, I have decided to make Japan home and not sure I will ever return to Hawaii other than to visit family and check on my property. I’ll try to share the adventures and mods here with hopes to find the few other ZR-1 owners in this great country. I only know 3 of them despite there are more.

IMG_8809.jpgIMG_8810.jpg

I guess I might have to change my handle since this ZR-1 has never been to Hawaii and probably will never.

Aloha!

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
IMG_8457.JPGIMG_8455.jpg
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 03-30-2018 at 11:03 PM.
HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018   #2
conesare2seconds

Default Re: Back in Black

That’s a good looking Z.
conesare2seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018   #3
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by conesare2seconds View Post
That’s a good looking Z.

Thanks for your thoughts and greatly appreciate it.

Old 04-22-2018   #4
G-Sting

Nice lookin' ride, Craig. Are you able to have proper fun with it over there?

My best friend in grade school was Japanese and moved back there with his family after 4th grade (I hope this doesn't sound too cheesy). I remember his letters about how much he had to study to be successful in school and the testing there. He became a doctor. Love to get there to see him again after many, many years.

All the best,
G

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018   #5
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sting View Post
Nice lookin' ride, Craig. Are you able to have proper fun with it over there?

My best friend in grade school was Japanese and moved back there with his family after 4th grade (I hope this doesn't sound too cheesy). I remember his letters about how much he had to study to be successful in school and the testing there. He became a doctor. Love to get there to see him again after many, many years.

All the best,
G

Thanks G! Yes, they have awesome roads here but I have not enjoyed touring as much as I should. I’m still trying to crack the code to track the car here like I could in Cali. I got side track with a Harley after arriving here and neglected the Z. But I have a garage now and a QuickJack so I’m lining up all the projects now. I’ll be sure to post the mods and adventures here.

Nice story and it would be cool if you could meet up with your friend. You would love Japan if you visit. If you need help to reconnect with him just let me know.

I kind of abandoned my home and decided to retire here. It will be a challenge to keep this car as it gets older, but I’m determined to do so with the stash of parts I’ve acquired over the years.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Aloha and keep the shiny side up.

Craig

Old 04-24-2018   #6
G-Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Thanks G! Yes, they have awesome roads here but I have not enjoyed touring as much as I should. I’m still trying to crack the code to track the car here like I could in Cali. I got side track with a Harley after arriving here and neglected the Z. But I have a garage now and a QuickJack so I’m lining up all the projects now. I’ll be sure to post the mods and adventures here.

Nice story and it would be cool if you could meet up with your friend. You would love Japan if you visit. If you need help to reconnect with him just let me know.

I kind of abandoned my home and decided to retire here. It will be a challenge to keep this car as it gets older, but I’m determined to do so with the stash of parts I’ve acquired over the years.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Aloha and keep the shiny side up.

Craig
Craig,

Please do post up work and/or mods on your Z when you are able. Or videos of driving on some nice roads over there as well. There is something special about the "fellowship of the Z" that keeps us going with these machines.

I sure appreciate the offer to help make contact with my friend. I do believe we have a current address and I must get off my duff and simply write him (snail mail as we used to do it. )

If you need a chuckle, check out my attempt at a fun driving video. It's the black 4-speed '79... driven by our family dog. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0pJJOk7Uck

All the best in your retirement!

G
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
Old 04-24-2018   #7
tf95ZR1

Yes Craig, best of life and luck to you and your family
(& vehicles)! Maybe a Gathering or West Coast Get Together
in your future. Let us follow your Z works and adventures.
49th rockers? I assume you got it registered.

Ted
tf95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018   #8
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sting View Post
Craig,

Please do post up work and/or mods on your Z when you are able. Or videos of driving on some nice roads over there as well. There is something special about the "fellowship of the Z" that keeps us going with these machines.

I sure appreciate the offer to help make contact with my friend. I do believe we have a current address and I must get off my duff and simply write him (snail mail as we used to do it. )

If you need a chuckle, check out my attempt at a fun driving video. It's the black 4-speed '79... driven by our family dog. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0pJJOk7Uck

All the best in your retirement!

G

I have been looking for a camera and probably will go with GoPro for the adventures. I hear you and understand about the fellowship and brotherhood. Probably the main reason why I still have a ZR-1 and wanted to give up a few times. The folks I have met here and in person at the Gatherings is the reason.

That is so cool that you still have contact with a childhood friend. I hope you and make that meeting. You will surely enjoy Japan.

Thanks for sharing the video. I really enjoyed it and loved Theo!!! What a cool dog. Take care and Aloha! Craig

Old 04-25-2018   #9
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Back in Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by tf95ZR1 View Post
Yes Craig, best of life and luck to you and your family
(& vehicles)! Maybe a Gathering or West Coast Get Together
in your future. Let us follow your Z works and adventures.
49th rockers? I assume you got it registered.

Ted

Thanks Ted and good to hear from you. I appreciate your thoughts. I'll be heading to Cali this summer, but probably Northern. Sorry we could not meet when I dropped off my car to ship near you; timing was not on our side.

I think I am planning the Gathering for 2020 since it's not so easy to go to Kentucky from Japan. Yes, I did get the car registered after about 6 months from arriving early 2016. I had it stored for the first year and a half, but now I'm trying to get back into it. Spent the time building the Harley and touring around. Yes, we all ordered BFR (49th Street Rockers) from Brett during that group buy and I never installed them until last year since I scored the Yokohama BSM bumper.

My list of parts/mods sitting in the closets and storage units ready to install are as follows:

Ported top end
TB/IH coolant delete
DeWitts radiator
SW Headers w/C6 Z06 cats
ZFDoc shifter
DRM coilovers with new FX3 shocks and Banski pin top shock mounts
Full Banski set up
C-Beam plate
Rear Wilwood bigger brakes
Greenwood hood louver vents with Aerocatch flush mount hood locks
Kenwood DDX6704S DVD Receiver with front and rear cameras
C5 mirrors
too many more small things to list

Thanks again for the shout out!!

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 06-06-2018 at 03:34 AM.
Old 04-29-2018   #10
G-Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
I have been looking for a camera and probably will go with GoPro for the adventures. I hear you and understand about the fellowship and brotherhood. Probably the main reason why I still have a ZR-1 and wanted to give up a few times. The folks I have met here and in person at the Gatherings is the reason.

That is so cool that you still have contact with a childhood friend. I hope you and make that meeting. You will surely enjoy Japan.

Thanks for sharing the video. I really enjoyed it and loved Theo!!! What a cool dog. Take care and Aloha! Craig
Thanks for the good words, Craig. Glad also you liked the video and, of course, Theo. He's a pleasant little guy. Part of the family, for sure. ... and yes, I've got to make seeing my friend in Japan happen.

The video was done with a GoPro Hero II, but one can get so much more definition with the latest GoPros. I bought a Hero 6 Black a few weeks ago and the features are so much better. It also syncs up via wireless and bluetooth to my iPhone (or any modern cell phone) - one can turn it on/off and see exactly what is being videoed while driving though the App on the phone. I tried mounting it on the front of the roof, but seem to like the left side behind the grill a little better.

I have not figured out how to get good exhaust sound and not wind noise on the GoPro only, except to mount a separate, old iPhone on the rear of the Z out of the wind. I use the Voice Memo feature to record the exhaust (as I did in the Theo Vette video). Using iMovie to edit the results - as long as I record the starting of the car - it's easy to identify the peak where the sound of the video captured the start and where the peak of the Voice Memo recording captured it. Turn down or off the video sound and walla - you have video with the beautiful music of the LT5 aluminum guitar playing in the background.

A screen shot of the Spring drive around the neighborhood for a test is attached.

Aloha!
G
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '94 ZR-1 Grill Shot A.jpg (114.9 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by G-Sting; 04-29-2018 at 02:40 PM.