ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-05-2008   #1
gbmidyear66

Default $25K(ZR-1) Vs $250K (F430) Experience?

Been lurking for a while now, sucking up info, educating myself in peparation for purchasing a ZR-1. Am about half-way through "Heart of the Beast".

So on the weekend a friend of mine takes me out for a thrill ride in his F430 spider. Man - what a rush that was. I was in lust, and my knees nearly buckled afterwards (which brings to mind an interesing comparison...).

I realize these are very different cars, different $, different generations, etc, etc and hardly comparables -but am nonetheless interested to hear the impression on any ZR-1 owner who has had he chance to experience both of these cars? I am hoping that a lightly modded ZR-1 in street situation would provide a level of "man was that fun" in the same ballpark as the 430? On paper - it would seem to be the case.
gbmidyear66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #2
rkreigh

Default Re: $25K(ZR-1) Vs $250K (F430) Experience?

well, I've never been in a ferrari, but I can offer this.

the stroker ZR-1 I bought for $55k (very rare LPE) that came with 5k of extras, most sold, puts 508 rwhp down, is daily driver mild, and has had very limited maint done with 62k on the clock

runs mid 11s, will give you all the HP you can put down with street tires, and looks sexy as hell (but not as sexy as a ferrari to some)

is the ferrari woth all that $$l, not to me. but modding the zr1 isn't cheap either.

if you want 500 at the tires, hunt around and get a 368 (more like 470) or 415 that's done with low miles (they'll do 530-550 and up!). they don't come cheap or around often.

but these level of mods will get that 25k to be a 55k zr-1 quickly and with a lengthy wait.

the LPE invoice on my car was 36k and it was in late 90s $$$

it does have titanium rods and cams and an alcon brake package, but still quite a bit of coin.

one trip to the ferrari dealer for the major maint and you'll leave behind a small fortune. the LT5 on the other hand is not bad at all. plugs and oil changes, an occasional plenum pull, not hard to work on.

the exotics have equally exotic prices, but the LT5 gives a very ferrari like growl from the beast and will top end with the best of them.

a stroker with stock 3.45 gears will give the ferrari a good run. LPE did 219 on the track with the yellow bird that Norm now has. pretty amazing if you ask me.
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #3
gbmidyear66

Good info.

I have no interest in the $25K "routine maintenance" experience (my buddy was out about $3K when he discovered the front spoiler was not designed to clear a std parking curb), and no need for the "ego rush" of free valet parking at the best restaurants in town.

More interested in the adrenalin rush of hammering it on the on ramp.

The F430 "only" has 490hp, 343ftlbs, weights 3350lbs. 0 to 60 about 4.0, 1/4 is 12.3 I still think a lightly modded King would probably get me were I want to be.

The pre-modded LPE would be the way to go - but it probably limits choice to much for me (I care about color and condition).
Old 05-05-2008   #4
Z Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmidyear66
Been lurking for a while now,
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I've driven a few of my friends Ferrari's over the years, such as the 308 GTS, 360 Modena, and even rode in a Testarossa. Here is S Florida they are more common than you might imagine with Lambo's also in abundance. In my opinion you cant really compare the two in that ZR-1's are clearly an American sports car legend without all the Italian flare and style. They stimulate different senses if that makes sense. Bang for your buck clearly goes to the ZR-1 along with the brute force feeling you derive from it. The Ferrari is more refined but do you really want to pay the $$$ to own a status symbol (what many owners down here consider them). Don't get me wrong, the Ferrari line is wonderful and appealing to car enthusiasts with money to burn, but the ZR-1 possesses attributes the Ferrari can't despite the numbers. If I had a stable of cars, I'd own a Ferrari, but given the choice between the two, I'd drive the ZR-1 more often.

Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #5
gbmidyear66

Thanks Mod.

Was never my intent to "compare" the two cars specs per se - I understand they are about as similar as Sushi is to Texas BBQ.

I was looking to compare them more on the adrenalin rush / fun-factor scale (which is really why I want one - I have a top flight 67 roadster - which in my mind is in the same league as the F430 as far as style goes).

I'm already pretty much set on a ZR-1, guess I'm now trying to decide if I'm going to be happy with bone stock or not. I need to find a local "volunteer" over the summer to take me out in a ZR before I take the plunge.
Old 05-06-2008   #6
tccrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmidyear66
Thanks Mod.
<snip>
I'm already pretty much set on a ZR-1, guess I'm now trying to decide if I'm going to be happy with bone stock or not. I need to find a local "volunteer" over the summer to take me out in a ZR before I take the plunge.
Welcome to the Brotherhood of the Beast.

If you're looking for performance even a stock ZR1 is more than enough.
A 415 stroker will get you there *much* quicker.

The best bang for the buck is to buy one already modded.
There's a Lingenfelter ZR1 for sale right now for less than the original Lingenfelter mods alone cost the owner:
http://www.zr1netregistry.com/forum/...ead.php?t=5629
Be very wary of buying a car off of eBay. If possible arrange for the car to be inspected by one of the tuners, JeffVette, Marc Haibeck, Jim VanDorn, SGC, etc.
Try to talk with the actual owner, in this case the owner is a member here so getting in touch with him shouldn't be too difficult.

Be wary of buying a 0 mile garage queen.
Do your homework first.
If it was stored in less than an optimal setting it could cost you $$$ to get it road worthy again.
If stored correctly, it's a new car and will drive like one.

A modded car will likely have most of the usual wear items already taken care of. Remember, the Heart of the Beast is the LT5, everything else is C4 with all of it's little annoyances.

Good luck!!

TomC
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #7
cuisinartvette

They are both quite different experiences, and as you said you arent comparing but...They really dont compare. Different leagues.

For being a 1/4 mile brute on the bang for the buck factor...Modded ZR1
Old 05-06-2008   #8
Kevin

mmmmmmmmmmm bbq
Old 05-06-2008   #9
ZR1Vette

Bit of a twist here... I have driven the F430 more than the ZR-1...just got the ZR-1 in December. From my perspective you really can not compare the two cars (leaving out price and maintenance cost) in the driving experience area. Simply put there is nothing like sitting in a 430 or F40/50...pure refinement in the best Italian style. The sound of the engine winding out is just automotive heaven (although the Tubi exhausts are now standard I personally do not like the sound (harsh) compared to the previous stock exhausts- 2 model years ago Tubi was an option). Close to 90% of most Ferraris are sold with the F1 tranny which I have mixed feelings for... aggressive sport driving or on the track just a amazing tranny...makes you an instant Schumacher BUT driving around “town” it shows its flaws…very abrupt and almost ‘clunky’.

The ZR-1… wonderful car, love the LT5 (particularly at the 6000+ rpm range…great sounding engine but exhaust note is weak and for those of us who want to keep a ZR OEM looking something we have to put up with), ZF tranny extremely easy to use (I prefer over my C6 tranny), very engaging interior (sport seats is what should be in the C6) and fun to drive. Certainly not up to the finish standards of the F430, but you would expect that. And I think that sums up in a phrase an answer for you.. do not expect a Ferrari when buying a ZR-1 and you will be very pleased and smile when you are in the ZR-1.

[I][SIZE="2"]1990 RED on RED #566[/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE="2"]WAZOO MEMBER[/I][/SIZE]
ZR1Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #10
Aurora40

You might be more pleased if you compared the ZR-1 to a 328 or 348. A car that is 18 years newer, and 2.5 times the original MSRP of the Z (inflation adjusted) certainly ought to provide a more exciting experience.

Compare a $25k ZR-1 to a $60k 328 and I think you'd really have to [i]want]/i] a Ferrari for it to make any sense. The Z does everything better, and other than a lot of leather, the interiors on those 80's and early 90's Ferrari's were nothing to write home about.

I wonder how an LT5 with a flat crank would sound...
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote