ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-10-2012   #1
GSJoe

Default Love My Tech 1

I bought a used Tech 1 two weeks ago, and today, with a newly acquired "Operator's Manual", I played a bit with this tester on my '90 ZR-1. Wow! The Tech 1 is a very useful and powerful tool. It reminds me of the Bosch KTS-300 tool (AKA The Hammer) I had in 1991 or so when I was driving a Porsche 911 Carrera 2. Like the Hammer, the Tech 1 doesn't just read fault codes. It allows you to test and even change lots of other things. I had fun playing with the IAC test changing the idle in increments of 25 rpm at a time. There's even an idle relearn program to reset idle to compensate for engine wear and tear. I was also pleased to find that there was a "Block Learn Reset" function to return all block learn cells to a nominal value of 128. I paid about $2600 to Porsche in 1991 for a new Hammer and only a bit over $200 for my used Tech 1 this month. All in all, though, both were well worth the price.
GSJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #2
Kb7tif

Default Re: Love My Tech 1

Yep I found my tech 1A on craigslist for 125$ Boy am I glad I did, currently reading real time fuel trims to adjust for my new 60 lb injectors, got the closer then the stockers.
Watson Headers
Ported Plenum, Housings
Random tech cats
Fidanza Flywheel
Chipped, Relocated Mat
Woods 165 stat
Borlas, Straights
1996 Lt4 Sold
1994 Lt1 Sold
2004 Z06 Sold
AKA** Illenema
Kb7tif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #3
ghlkal

Thanks for posting this Joe. I got my Tech1 about a week ago, but I've been out-of-town on business and haven't had a chance to try it out ... yet. I'm looking forward to pulling down the panel to find where the PO shoved the ALDL connector (since it isn't visible), and then trying it out.
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #4
GSJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghlkal View Post
Thanks for posting this Joe. I got my Tech1 about a week ago, but I've been out-of-town on business and haven't had a chance to try it out ... yet. I'm looking forward to pulling down the panel to find where the PO shoved the ALDL connector (since it isn't visible), and then trying it out.
I found my ALDL connector dangling thanks to the previous owner having broken the plastic attaching points under the dash. I put mine back in place with Velcro which has worked out well for me. Now whenever I want to access the ALDL connector I just pull it down which makes things really easy.
Old 06-11-2012   #5
mike100

^^^ the velcro souds like a good idea...no way I'm ever going to screw it back into place...too hard to reach when you need it.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #6
GSJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
What cartridges did you get with your Tech 1?

For a 91' ZR-1 Which cartridges does one need when using a Tech 1A?
I didn't get too many cartridges with my Tech 1, but I got the one most important to me--the powertrain one which I've already used several times on my '90 ZR-1. The cartridges I got are as follows: 1)P/N02002424 GM/Ford/Chrysler Powertrain--it covers GM and Ford for years '81-96 and Chrysler '83-'96; 2)P/N 02002098 GM 88-95 Chassis and 3)Tech 1 Test Adapter. I also got an ALDL pin E adapter with my purchase. I suppose I should soon see what other cartridges--perhaps updates to the ones I have plus a "body" cartridge to do CCM checks and programming--might be available on eBay etc. From what I understand, the cartridges for the Tech 1 that I have and the Tech 1A are interchangeable. Hope this information helps.
Old 06-19-2012   #7
GSJoe

I found a GM Body Cartridge on eBay this morning for my Tech-1 and bought it for a little over $30 delivered. Now I feel my Tech-1 case is complete...at least for our ZR-1 cars.
Old 06-19-2012   #8
GSJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Do you have a P/N for that GM Body Cartridge?

Thanks for the Cartridge Update and keep us posted on other cartridges you might find useful

Any Cartridges specifics just edit your post #7 above as that post is a referenced TIP in the first post of -Solutions- under the Heading TOOLS.
To answer your question, the P/N of the body cartridge I bought on eBay this morning is TK03040
Old 06-19-2012   #9
USAFPILOT

Is the Tech 1 also correct to use with a 94?
1994 #293 ZR-1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, B&B catback w/ X-Pipe, 18" Shelby Series One Wheels, SLP CAI.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #10
VetteMed

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFPILOT View Post
Is the Tech 1 also correct to use with a 94?
Yes, it is fully capable as long as you are using the appropriate cartridge. I think 95 was the oddball year, with OBDI software but the OBDII connector under the dash.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote