ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-27-2014   #1
LantanaTX

Default R134 A/C conversion

Does anyone know where the orifice is? I realize I can just put the R134 in but changing the orifice to a variable results in colder air. Usually there is some dimpling in one of the pipes near a union which holds the orifice but I am not finding it on this car.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1991 #0663
LantanaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014   #2
WVZR-1

Default Re: R134 A/C conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LantanaTX View Post
Does anyone know where the orifice is? I realize I can just put the R134 in but changing the orifice to a variable results in colder air. Usually there is some dimpling in one of the pipes near a union which holds the orifice but I am not finding it on this car.
Drops in the evaporator tube.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014   #3
LantanaTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
Drops in the evaporator tube.
Great thank you!
Old 04-27-2014   #4
WVZR-1

Quote:
Great thank you!
You should see the crimp in the tube. Those connections can be difficult to unthread.

The crimp can be seen here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Evaporato...d0ba3b&vxp=mtr

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-27-2014 at 09:45 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014   #5
Schrade

I converted an '87 to 134 without changing any hardware, except an adapter fitting, that I remember.

I did do the conversion flush a couple extra times, and vented it ( just to see how much was left, of course ), and had no problems thereafter.
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014   #6
LantanaTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
I converted an '87 to 134 without changing any hardware, except an adapter fitting, that I remember.

I did do the conversion flush a couple extra times, and vented it ( just to see how much was left, of course ), and had no problems thereafter.
I did the same the first time I converted one, but it never got quite as cold and then I learned about changing the orifice and then freezing cold.
Old 04-27-2014   #7
LantanaTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
You should see the crimp in the tube. Those connections can be difficult to unthread.

The crimp can be seen here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Evaporato...d0ba3b&vxp=mtr
Thank you, I must have missed it. Just couldn't see the crimp. They are usually at the evaporator or the filter dryer.
Old 04-28-2014   #8
scottfab

Quote:
chances are you're going to introduce some moisture to the system when you put the new orifice in I would suggest changing the dryer while you're in there. they are surprisingly cheap

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #9
LantanaTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post
chances are you're going to introduce some moisture to the system when you put the new orifice in I would suggest changing the dryer while you're in there. they are surprisingly cheap
Never had to replace a dryer before when doing this, but the system must be evacuated before charging.
Old 04-28-2014   #10
GOLDCYLON

Its always recommended to change out the receiver driver before doing the conversion. Your going to have to recharge the system anyway.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote