ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Club Regional Areas > Mid-Atlantic Region

Old 10-01-2022   #11
Raykahn

Default Re: WAZOO WMD Westminster, MD September 18th, 2022

I just got home from my trip last night and the single pump unit was waiting for me when I got here, along with the new fuel boot. It is quite pretty, especially compared to my current.. thing with its bubbling paint.

Part of the instructions call for pulling a pin from the ECU connector. I was thinking it might be prudent to get a little extension cable and pull the pin from that. At least then I am not modifying the original cable. Maybe I am overthinking it.

Also monkeying with the idea of getting a little sandblaster and cleaning off the paint/corrosion from my current unit. Since they are hard to come by I would like to see if I could repair it and have it on standby.

Last edited by Raykahn; 10-01-2022 at 11:33 AM.
Raykahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022   #12
QB93Z

I would be wary of pulling connectors from the ECM wiring harnesses. I suggest that you use the wiring diagram, and determine which wire in the 4-pin connector at the fuel pump you can disconnect. On-line you can find pin removal tools for the "Weather-Pack" connectors.

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022   #13
Raykahn

My understanding is you cannot disconnect any of the 4 pins because the new single pump needs everything for power. The purpose of pulling the pin from the ECM connector is to prevent it from sending a shutoff signal intended for the second pump.

Haibeck's site notes that removing that pin doesn't impede the dual pump setup either. It just means the secondary pump runs full time since the ECM can no longer tell it to stop running.

I am not keen on modifying the original connector, so I am trying to find a male and female end to create my own custom extension cord that I can modify worry free, but my initial search hasn't been fruitful.
Raykahn is offline   Reply With Quote