ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-09-2017   #1
USAF Retired
BANNED

Question ACR Viper vs C4 ZR1

My friend has the 2016 Viper and asked me why I was looking for a 90s ZR1 and I said because that's just me. He proceeded to try convince me to go the ACR Viper route and spend more money. Question has anyone on this forum test driven the latest ACR Viper? How does it compare?

Thanks
USAF Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017   #2
ssrszz4

Default Re: ACR Viper vs C4 ZR1

It costs about 6-10 times more

Sent from my XT1585 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
ssrszz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017   #3
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrszz4 View Post
It costs about 6-10 times more

Sent from my XT1585 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
That,and its a Viper🤢
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #4
USAF Retired
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrszz4 View Post
It costs about 6-10 times more.
I'm aware of the higher costs involved. Is it worth the extra money? I guess my question is if you had the extra money to burn, would you buy it over your ZR1? I've driven the C4 ZR1. I like the open air targa top and interior feels open, comfortable, excellent sight lines all around. The Viper has no removable top. My friend says it's a tight fit inside. Viper isn't made anymore and looks like the ultimate American muscle car, could one day be highly valued, the raw power of the V10 at 645 horsepower. Was curious what is the general consensus opinion these days on the latest ACR Viper from C4 ZR1 owners?

Last edited by USAF Retired; 08-10-2017 at 01:18 AM.
USAF Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #5
Z51JEFF

Your talking about a C4 ZR-1 but what about a C6 ZR1? I have no idea what a Viper is going for but the price between the 2 cant be that far off. Personally I've never liked the Viper,the first Gen car was a halfass attempt to build something but I'm definitely in the minority here,even today somebody will piss themselves to to get close to one. The only Viper that was decent looking was the last body style with a conventional convertible top and roll up windows. If someone had a perfect Viper and wanted to trade for my 91,I wouldn't even consider it. But like I said,I'm one of the very few that don't care for the car.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #6
efnfast

Does the Viper come with this group of guys?
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #7
cvette98pacecar

Look at the cost of Gen1 and Gen 2 Vipers, They are on the rise.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #8
Hog

Latest iteration of the V-10 uses forged aluminum pistons, supposedly part of MOPARs overbuilding of the engine so that buyers can simply install blowers/nitrous and not have to get into the engine to make it live.

GM has only used forged pistons on a couple modern V8s.
The GEN 4 LS9 used forged pistons, the GEN 4 LSA in the Cadillac CTSV and Camaro LSA used hypereutectic(high silicon) cast pistons.
The GEN 5 Lt1 uses cast hyper pistons with piston oil spray tech and the GEN 5 LT4 that is supercharged uses forged aluminum pistons.
The GEn 4 427 LS7 used vast hypereutectic pistons.

If you plan on driving the car on the street, it appears that other Viper models might do better as many of the advancements of the latest ACR are aerodynamic in nature. It's a track car that has the ability to legally drive on the street.

645 hp @ 6200 rpm/600 lb/ft torque @ 5000 rpm
Their fuel saving strategy is the concentric camshaft technology. AKA DuoCam or cam within a cam
It allows the intake and exhaust lobes to be passed independently of each other. This like GMs Variable Valve Timing, allows to the engine to retain lower rpm torque while allowing for upper rpm power. Its a stepping stone to the Internal Combustions Engines panacea which is camshaftless technology.
DuoCam video
http://www.mechadyne-int.com/duocam-2/

(GM uses variable valve timing, Ford uses smaller displacement with boost)
Brembo brakes Kuhmo tires

Top speed is 177mph, while the cheaper Viper is 206mph. 11.5 1/4 mile
The rear wing looks ridiculous.

For an investment though, highly optioned cars usually do the best and ideally you shouldn't add mileage.

The exhaust cant be compared. While the Viper V-10 DOES sound better since they have actually connected bothe banks of 5 cylinders together in a rather complicated crossover design, it still sounds like a V-10. I remember an old car magazine trhat described the sound of the 1st Gen Viper to a UPS truck with a sparkplug disconnected. That has always stuck with me.
Nothing sounds as good at idle, or 10,000rpm as a V-8 engine. No matter the manufacturer, be it a Lambo, Audi, VW, Dodge, the extra 2 cylinders when compared to a V8 or the missing 2 cylinders, when compared to a V-12, make the exhaust sound unbalanced to the ear.
Something as simple as the number of cylinders under the hood, automatically disqualify the Viper from my "theoretical" garage. Even if dineiro was no option, the "No V-10s" are allowed sign would still be posted in my garage.
The V-10, trying to separate yourself from the plethora of V8 engines, but really don't have the hutspa to step up to the V-12. I know that this is what every V-12 Lamborghini and Flat-12/V-12 Ferrari equipped owner has run through their minds whenever a 5.0/5.2 liter V-10 Gallardo drive by.

I find it amusing when I see questions like "What muffler will make my V6 sound like a V-8?" or "How do I make my V8 sound like a V-12?" The answer to all is, you tear out the V6 or V8 and install a V8 or V-12 in its place. No matter the muffler, no matter the X-pipe, Y-pipe or H-pipe, the only object that will defeat physics and make your V-6 sound like a V-8, is the overuse of a "crack-pipe".

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #9
Tripler

Personally I will never go near a Chrysler/Dodge product . It's a C4 ZR-1 for me forever . If you go ZR-1 go with the 1995 model year . Little or nothing to do to the car and they have the best seats ...

Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #10
rush91

Back in high school the Viper and the ZR-1 were my dream cars...I was obsessed by the Viper. It was Designed by old man Shelby himself, in the vein of being a modern day Cobra. It had all the curves and lines and was so mean looking. And of course it had that V10!!! Say what?!! a V10 engine in a car from an American manufacture.....it was all crazy stuff.
But then when I moved to Florida, probably around 1997. I came across a Viper owners car show at Disney where I was working. had to be around 100 Vipers, something you just didn't see in those days. AND then I heard one start up and drive away.........might of well been a V-6 under that hood, because it sounded like crap. All of them!!! That is when I lost my lust for the Viper. I give Dodge huge credit for taking a essentially a truck engine, and stuffing it into a sleek Modern supercar. And the prices are going up fast for 1st and 2nd Gen Vipers as mentioned.

I wouldn't want to own a Viper now. I mean yes, if I pissed money, then I could see owning one. But the horror stories I've heard and read from owners, doesn't paint the car as very livable at all. Our ZR-1s on the other hand, are great comfortable cruisers. And still a fast car today, and can be made faster. And such a unique piece of Automotive history......We still hold all those world records!!!!! Does anyone really think that massaged truck engine and chassis could of run of 24 hours at 180MPH without breaking??

This guy has some good vids on his GTS Viper he bought.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWonxlP2pXQ

Last edited by rush91; 08-10-2017 at 08:42 AM.
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote