ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 Members' Rides

Old 03-25-2023   #11
dredgeguy

Default Re: 1990 #2659

Glad you made it through the snow Zack, did the same a few years ago and was not fun. Glad you are getting the Haibeck treatment, you will love the way the car is returned. Very interesting information as well, sure somebody will chime in about the previous owner Paul Brown. See you soon.

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023   #12
AlbanyBrian

I too am a new owner of a ZR-1, a 1993 that I have had for 3 weeks now. You mentioned a receipt with the name Tom Wong. Probably more than one Tom but the Tom Wong I know is a very good GM tuner located in Vancouver, Washington. Enjoy your car. Brian
AlbanyBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023   #13
Raykahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanyBrian View Post
I too am a new owner of a ZR-1, a 1993 that I have had for 3 weeks now. You mentioned a receipt with the name Tom Wong. Probably more than one Tom but the Tom Wong I know is a very good GM tuner located in Vancouver, Washington. Enjoy your car. Brian
I have come across that name on the other forums with the same association, however I am very certain it is not the same person.

Welcome to the club!
Raykahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023   #14
Raykahn

Default 1990 #2659

The car is back from Haibeck's. Marc works evenings on Fridays and that allowed me to catch a late flight and pick up the car close to midnight. I was not entirely unsurprised by that, we have actually exchanged a number of emails in the wee hours of the morning. I can appreciate a fellow night owl.

The car feels great. Worlds away from what it did prior. The combination of new shocks and frame stiffener goes a long way to make for a more comfortable and enjoyable ride, and the rebalanced clutch has removed the concern of imminent disintegration at high RPMs.

A bit of everything was touched during this visit, but the big things are as follows:

DeWitts double row radiator
Frame Stiffener Kit
Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel
New Shocks (A mishap with the supplier actually means I only have 3 new shocks, 4th to be shipped down. Potential WAZOO maintenance day item I suppose)
Rebalanced Clutch
Dyno Tuned
Speedometer Correction for 3.91 gearing
Minimum Dimness for the gauge cluster to ~20%

Along with a number of smaller items that Marc discovered along the way. I had made a comment that I wasn't entirely happy with how my shifter boot just falls loose down the stick instead being mounted up and he figured out a way to rig it up. He really goes the extra mile.

Maybe the one less than happy item from this whole thing was the Dyno numbers and what they mean. Marc got it clocked in at 509hp, and while a great result it does indicate the engine is not as powerful as I had thought. A potential upgrade I will have to consider for the future. In the meantime I will leave my door sill protectors on as a historical artifact of the car.

Today I washed and waxed it. The exhaust tips were straight black after having traveled ~1500 miles (somewhat visible in the photo above), and they received a well deserved polish. Lots of road grime to wash off, but I am glad to have it back. The weather has been so nice recently that I was sorely missing the car.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5249.jpg (117.3 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5247.jpg (144.5 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5245.jpg (162.8 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5242.jpg (165.4 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by Raykahn; 04-10-2023 at 02:53 AM.
Old 04-10-2023   #15
dredgeguy

Welcome back!

Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Old 05-26-2023   #16
Raykahn

I've had the car at a couple shows recently. I get a huge kick out of going to them. I probably need to step up my game and get a poster made for it.

First was 'Finish the Race Car Show' in April. It was a pretty huge turnout, probably over 200 cars. The minister for the church has C4, C6, and C7 ZR-1s. Him and his wife are definitely car people!

Part of this show is an exhaust competition called 'Rev Your Rumble,' They take a decibel meter and hold it to your exhaust and see who has the loudest car. I took third place overall, coming in at 117.6 dB

Here is a clip of me starting off the competition:
https://www.facebook.com/718355433/v...6698597338434/
(if I have the privacy settings wrong and you cannot view it let me know)

and a pic from after:

The second show, 'LHS Car Show for the Special Olympics 2023,' was right across the street from my house in Bealeton. Probably 100 to 150 cars turned out. Proximity to home made this feel much more laid back since I didn't need to clean off road grime when I got there

Not sure when the next show will be. My schedule has me traveling a lot over the next 2 months.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5259.jpg (208.9 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5266.jpg (183.8 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5409.jpg (178.0 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0074.jpg (140.9 KB, 149 views)
Old 05-26-2023   #17
dredgeguy

Looking good Zach, way to represent. I have seen the Minister and his cars at Carlisle, impressive!

Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Old 05-29-2023   #18
1977CamaroZ28

Your car sounds lovely!! Very nice pics and good level of cars. Thanks to share.
#2342 - Black/Black - March 1.990 -
OBX Headers and OBX complete Exhaust Line (No Cats).
K&N Air Filter with open Air Box.
Jerry's Gaskets Silicone Air Duct.
DeWitts Two Row Pro Series Radiator.
Samco's Hose Coolant Kit.
ECM/EPROM Improved.
MSD Spark Plug Wires 8,5mm Super Conductor.
EBC Brakes YellowStuff with EBC D-Series Rotors and Raybestos hoses.
1977CamaroZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023   #19
Raykahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977CamaroZ28 View Post
Your car sounds lovely!! Very nice pics and good level of cars. Thanks to share.

Thanks. The video doesn't do justice to how loud it actually is. If you pay attention to the people on the right side of the video you can see some of them wincing and plugging their ears or making faces. It really catches you off guard because at idle it doesn't sound like it will scream so hard.

I think its a bit raspy, not quite as full bodied of a sound as I my ideal would be. I've been told by one of my older friends I need to put some cherry bombs on it, but at that point I may as well just straight pipe it and make my neighbors hate life. I actually quite enjoy how civilized it is under 3500 RPMs, and the Corsa tips are by far my favorite look.

There were ~15 cars in that competition. Lots of scatpacks and mustangs ringing in between 110 dB and 115 dB. Also a couple of Hondas with fart cans that sounded extremely quiet after all the muscle roared. The loudest was a lamborghini modded to spit fire, it hit 119.1 dB. The C3 next to me was second loudest at 118.3 dB, really great sounding car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2023   #20
1977CamaroZ28

I saw the people you talk about... Good remedy for build up of ear wax

I agree with you that Corsa rear look is amazing for our cars and the sound is one of my favorites

My unit has OBX headers and complete exhaust line ("similar" to Corsa look but with soft noise) and I'm completely satisfied with noise. Quiet until 3.000 rpm and acceptably screamy over 3.000 rpm.

I never checked my noise level. I should try...
#2342 - Black/Black - March 1.990 -
OBX Headers and OBX complete Exhaust Line (No Cats).
K&N Air Filter with open Air Box.
Jerry's Gaskets Silicone Air Duct.
DeWitts Two Row Pro Series Radiator.
Samco's Hose Coolant Kit.
ECM/EPROM Improved.
MSD Spark Plug Wires 8,5mm Super Conductor.
EBC Brakes YellowStuff with EBC D-Series Rotors and Raybestos hoses.
1977CamaroZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote