ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-23-2023   #1
WydGlydJim

Default INFLREST; I've replaced front impact sensor 3 times

Once years ago; may have a had a bad ground still after that one; then once right before I sold it about 10 years ago, I replaced it again, and made sure it was grounded properly; then when I bought it back several months ago, it was on again, I replaced it with a NOS sensor, made dang sure ground was good, even ran a jumper ground to the battery ground located close by. Each time the light went out for a good long while, but came back on. I would say this last time, the light was out for at least a month........can't keep throwing sensors at it for $250 a pop........any ideas as to what could be causing premature failure, or just really unlucky? Codes always indicate left front sensor.
1973 LS4/sold
WydGlydJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023   #2
Dynomite

Default Re: INFLREST; I've replaced front impact sensor 3 times

Post 65 - INFL REST grounds and Alternator Connector Boot

Post 299 - Infl Rest Inside The Car

Last edited by Dynomite; 11-24-2023 at 10:14 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023   #3
rufcar

Mine indicated it was the right. Fixed that and it kept saying right. So I found a NOS unit but 1st I did the left one and the surrounding grounds. Took several attempts to clear but it did and I never used the NOS unit. It's been 6 months so far. I used the seat frame as the ground.
rufcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023   #4
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by WydGlydJim View Post
Once years ago; may have a had a bad ground still after that one; then once right before I sold it about 10 years ago, I replaced it again, and made sure it was grounded properly; then when I bought it back several months ago, it was on again, I replaced it with a NOS sensor, made dang sure ground was good, even ran a jumper ground to the battery ground located close by. Each time the light went out for a good long while, but came back on. I would say this last time, the light was out for at least a month........can't keep throwing sensors at it for $250 a pop........any ideas as to what could be causing premature failure, or just really unlucky? Codes always indicate left front sensor.
How are you clearing the codes? I am asking unless you are using a Tech-1 and even with a Tech-1 with the correct adapter this is a bear of a code to clear. I had to repeat the procedure multiple times.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 11-25-2023 at 11:51 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023   #5
WydGlydJim

Update........so I could not bring myself to believe I had a problem at the sensor anymore, because it is NOS, and I was very careful with installation, paying close attention to grounding, etc........decided to go upstream to the connector inside at the driver's side kick panel. What I found was that when the connector was placed in the holder attached to the car, the wires that came in from the bottom became very taut, and were kinked pretty badly. moving forward on the premise that a badly kinked wire could cause a restriction or resistance with the flow of electricity, the same way a kinked hose causes a restriction in water flow, I pulled some more slack in the wires, and created a much bigger radius to the wire routing. Then I put some dielectric grease in the connection and Viola! light is out, and stayed out for a 15 minute drive. So I was skeptical I could have a problem there, but lesson learned, a resistance issue can occur not only at the sensor, but at the connector inside the car. I cleared the code with a grounding wire on the first try, because now I am an expert unfortunately. thanks for the links!

I think it may be fixed; so satisfying to have a clean DIC on a 75k miles car.

1973 LS4/sold

Last edited by WydGlydJim; 12-04-2023 at 02:02 PM.
WydGlydJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023   #6
rufcar

congrats as that how I felt too!
rufcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023   #7
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WydGlydJim View Post
Update........decided to go upstream to the connector inside at the driver's side kick panel. I put some dielectric grease in the connection and Viola! light is out, and stayed out for a 15 minute drive. So I was skeptical......a resistance issue can occur not only at the sensor, but at the connector inside the car. I cleared the code with a grounding wire on the first try, because now I am an expert unfortunately. thanks for the links!

I think it may be fixed; so satisfying to have a clean DIC on a 75k miles car.
I suspect it was the connector itself inside the car that was disconnected and cleaned as I did once....If it were the restriction in the wires as in restriction in plumbing, the restricted wire would act like a fuse and burn open unlike a plumbing restriction that would just increase the velocity of the flow through the restriction if the flow were constant which would require increase in the line pressure to compensate for the increased head loss....

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-05-2023 at 08:10 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023   #8
mlipmd

I also had the INFL REST indicator problem on my car (was on when I bought it), checked the codes, cleaned off both R and L sensor grounds, then the indicator light came on months later and I did it again (not hard but a PIA).The light persisted until I took apart and cleaned the yellow plug connector to the airbag under the driver side dash well under the carpet, as in Dynomite's post #2 above referencing #299 on the CF. One thing I have to add to that post - make sure you disconnect the battery before fussing with that connector as you don't want risking the airbag going off in your face. Also, as I keep saying on here, dialectric grease is an INSULATOR. If you want a good secure connection, use NO-OX-ID grease instead. I haven't had the light go on in maybe 3 years since I did that.
Those impact sensors have very rarely been known to fail and the problem is usually some grounding or electrical wiring problem instead.

Last edited by mlipmd; 12-05-2023 at 04:18 PM.
mlipmd is offline   Reply With Quote