ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Club Regional Areas > Mid-Atlantic Region

Old 01-24-2021   #1
Black Red '90

Default Antique Plates In VA?

I'm relocating to the Richmond, VA area. My ZR-1 is not a daily driver. However, if the weather is nice I'll take it out every weekend / every other weekend. Anyone in VA using their ZR-1 similarly and have antique plates? I don't know if regular weekend drives fit under the "occasional driving pleasure not to exceed 250 miles from your house" guideline.

Last edited by Black Red '90; 01-24-2021 at 07:20 AM.
Black Red '90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021   #2
Jagdpanzer

Default Re: Antique Plates In VA?

I'm in Northern Virginia and still running regular plates on my 94. Thought about antique plates but decided the regulations were to much hassle. I like to drive my car as much as I like and don't want the worry of violating the limits of the fine print restrictions. Also, at least for me, there is the psychological factor of seeing "antique" tags on a car that in my mind is still technically relevant. However, in few years could change my mind if electric vehicles take over like many are saying.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021   #3
Black Red '90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer View Post
I'm in Northern Virginia and still running regular plates on my 94. Thought about antique plates but decided the regulations were to much hassle. I like to drive my car as much as I like and don't want the worry of violating the limits of the fine print restrictions. Also, at least for me, there is the psychological factor of seeing "antique" tags on a car that in my mind is still technically relevant. However, in few years could change my mind if electric vehicles take over like many are saying.
Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
I don't like the idea of skirting the rules either as the consequences don't seem worth it. However, I'm worried about my inflator reset & seat belt warning lights not passing inspection. I know the impact sensor fix isn't difficult, but I prefer to keep my 31 year old air bag disabled.
Old 01-25-2021   #4
dredgeguy

I am in MD but think this might help your decision. When I went to register my car after purchasing it in CT, the lady at MD MVA told me, "your car is 20 years old, your getting historic tags". I told her no, I wanted to be able to drive my car anytime and not be restricted to weekends/car shows. She said that was up to interpretation and nobody would bother me. She said if I was worried, and I quote, "stick a damn filter in your glove box.....you are going for maintenance"!!! I was afraid of her, she was getting pissed so I said give me the historic tags. Been 9 years, 55,000 miles and never had any issues.

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021   #5
Black Red '90

Yeah, I lived in MD for many years. The state wasn't strict about the historic tags. I had the pleasure of working at one of the VEIP Emissions centers for a year (state program & facilities, but not state employees). We would tell people all the time to switch over to historic. As long as you didn't pass the same cop every morning on he way to work, no one cared.
Old 04-22-2021   #6
staminqia

I had this discussion here in PA and after a long winded discussion, there is no issues with antique plates with Mileage and when you can drive day or night. Drive confidently with antique plates.
The issue with day or night is only for vehicles that done meet today lighting standards so a model T may have issues but not our Z's.
staminqia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021   #7
ADML ZR1

I would highly recommend the antique plates for your stated amount of use. I drive mine a similar amount and have not had any issues with antique tags in the Hampton Roads area of VA. I got mine the first chance I could. The biggest relief is not having to do the State Inspection every year and having to worry about tossing the keys to strangers or wasting time waiting around at a shop to get it done. The one time only registration fee and low (or zero) personal property tax is an added bonus ...
Old 05-24-2021   #8
Black Red '90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADML ZR1 View Post
The one time only registration fee and low (or zero) personal property tax is an added bonus ...

I didn't know about the reduction in personal property tax. I went the antique route, and this makes that decision even better.
Old 12-14-2021   #9
bsneade

I'm in northern VA and have had antique plates on my '65 for ~15 years now. I've never been bothered. I think you'd only have issues in a few cases:
* The police notice you commuting in it regularly
* You are in an accident and are not using the car in the specified way
* You are in an accident and not having maintained your self inspection could be reason to shift the cause.
* You get pulled over out of range.

I recently registered my zr1 and didn't hesitate to go with the antique plates. Bonus is they look great on my black car. What I haven't done is put the front license plate on. But, that is another discussion.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
bsneade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021   #10
dredgeguy

All of you in northern VA, hope you can attend the Wazoo lunch in Ellicott City this Sunday posted in this section of the forum!

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote