ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-05-2017   #1
1991KOTH

Default Advice/help with header install (watson)

I hit a little bit of a roadblock with my Watson headers on the passenger side. I have removed the manifold, which has a triangular flange on the end of the manifold pipe. I had to hammer this off, but this flange wont fit on the longtube header. Keep in mind at some point in time the manifolds were switched to '95 manifolds; my car is a 91. Here is a pic.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1991KOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017   #2
Marc Haibeck

Default Re: Advice/help with header install (watson)

The three bolt flange was used at the factory for '90 to '92 exhaust systems. In '93 the flange was eliminated and the connection to the exhaust manifold is a slip fit. The '91 flange was installed on your '95 manifold so that the '91 exhaust system would still fit.

With headers a roughly 10 inch long adapter pipe is needed on the right side. I believe that all of the Watson adapter pipes had a three bolt flange to connect to the exhaust system. A Jeal adapter with a three bolt flange will probably fit with a little modification. The currently available Stainless Works adapter pipe will fit except that it has a '93 - '95 style slip fit to the exhaust system. You will need to weld on a three bolt flange to fit it to the '91 exhaust system.
Marc Haibeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017   #3
1991KOTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Haibeck View Post
The three bolt flange was used at the factory for '90 to '92 exhaust systems. In '93 the flange was eliminated and the connection to the exhaust manifold is a slip fit. The '91 flange was installed on your '95 manifold so that the '91 exhaust system would still fit.

With headers a roughly 10 inch long adapter pipe is needed on the right side. I believe that all of the Watson adapter pipes had a three bolt flange to connect to the exhaust system. A Jeal adapter with a three bolt flange will probably fit with a little modification. The currently available Stainless Works adapter pipe will fit except that it has a '93 - '95 style slip fit to the exhaust system. You will need to weld on a three bolt flange to fit it to the '91 exhaust system.

Thanks for the reply Marc! Im trying to fit a smaller tube into the header then sliding the flange onto that same tube to connect them but no one carries 2 3/4 pipe. Im wondering if I can cut that manifold pipe and use it as such.. the bend in it may complicate things though.

Old 08-06-2017   #4
1991KOTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Haibeck View Post

Also; on the passenger side it looks like someone spliced the o2 sensor wire to the crankshaft sensor wire? It is very odd and im wodering if it can be a problem? The car runs fine as is.

Old 08-06-2017   #5
Top Toy

Auto Zone usually has 2 3/4" straight sections (around 18" long) of exhaust tubing on the shelf. Swaged on one end to slip over 2 3/4".

Sent from my XT1254 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
'95 ZR-1, aqua/gray, #167
368 LPE/Haibeck, Web cams, Stainless Works headers, B&B Fusion exhaust, 18" Fikse wheels, Alcon brakes, lowered. 491 SAE RWHP.
Top Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017   #6
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991KOTH View Post
Also; on the passenger side it looks like someone spliced the o2 sensor wire to the crankshaft sensor wire? It is very odd and im wodering if it can be a problem? The car runs fine as is.

WHAT...????.?!!!!
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017   #7
LGAFF

You might be able to use a flex pipe from a local auto parts store until you can get an exhaust piece made; the crank sensor and O2 come in through the same area from the front of the car, I don't think its spliced
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote