ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-24-2014   #81
5ABI VT

Default Re: Pulling the plenum / IH Some pics !!

Wiping wiping wiping .. Before I get any further ... I noticed something .. When pulling the bell housing I remember some bolts being hard to reach .. After I pulled the coil packs there are easily accessible bolts on the bell housing from the top . Maybe it's a good thing I decided to do both at the same time !
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014   #82
XfireZ51

[QUOTE=5ABI VT;212888]Wiping wiping wiping .. Before I get any further ... I noticed something .. When pulling the bell housing I remember some bolts being hard to reach .. After I pulled the coil packs there are easily accessible bolts on the bell housing from the top . Maybe it's a good thing I decided to do both at the same time !

Yes that's called the rule of "While you are there you may as well...".
Basically the rule states that you take advantage of doing one or more things since they are already adjacent to the initial thing you started out to do in the first place.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014   #83
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
Wiping wiping wiping .. Before I get any further ... I noticed something .. When pulling the bell housing I remember some bolts being hard to reach .. After I pulled the coil packs there are easily accessible bolts on the bell housing from the top . Maybe it's a good thing I decided to do both at the same time !
Rather than wipe I would HOT pressure wash Using Degreaser first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Yes that's called the rule of "While you are there you may as well...".
Basically the rule states that you take advantage of doing one or more things since they are already adjacent to the initial thing you started out to do in the first place.
"While you are there you may as well..."
Everyone should follow that rule
Goes right along with my Standard Top End Restoration which usually takes three days. One day to remove, fix, and modify stuff (including a steam cleaning), One day to think and let it dry out, and one day to put it back together and take it for a ride

That fits right in with getting Gaskets and stuff from Jerry which usually takes only two days from time of placed order

Minimum Restoration of a 1990 ZR-1

Last edited by Dynomite; 09-24-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014   #84
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
Grounding straps? Back of the heads?

There's 3 on P side

and 5 on D side (although they're on the coil mounting grid bolt, on '90)

Looking good so far there
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014   #85
5ABI VT

What are all those ground straps for ? I haven't seen them or are they screwed down onto the bell housing ?

Got the secondary blades out and pulled the shafts out tomorrow I'll get to plugging them and then onto the clutch !

Any thoughts on cleaning the valves or secondary runners ? Obviously don't want to get crud in there but they're pretty gunked up. Fuel may clean them up slightly over time I'm hoping.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014   #86
Schrade

There ARE 2 BRAIDED grounding straps on the bellhousing - 1 / side.

The ones in my hand - on the P side, are on the back end of the head [circled, in your snappic). Good Q - what ARE they? I cannot find them in FSM 8A???

But the 5x was on the Coil Pac mounting plate, D side back corner. I can't find THEM in FSM either. You didn't see 'em on yours?

Another shot of 'em here:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7B8164CA-C655-4690-B5B2-C34CD9E8F2F1_zps82dsdfz7.jpg (154.2 KB, 74 views)
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote