ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-02-2014   #1
Billy Mild

Default Dead battery from a freak eletrical issue?

Last night I wanted to take the Corvette out. It has been on jackstands the past few weeks while I wait to see if leaks coolant.

I tried to hop in the corvette only to find the battery was dead. I checked the battery with a multi meter and saw only 1.5 volts. I put the battery on my 6 AMP charger. I noticed at that time the lights inside the car came on. So I turned the headlights on and off, at that time the lights inside the car went out. I left the charger on for another 30 minutes. At that time I switched to my automatic float charger to continue overnight.

This morning I went to check battery voltage. It only got up to 11.9 volts overnight. I went inside the car and the lights inside would not come on. The battery was dead it seemed. I went to flip the headlight switch the interior lights went on and the headlights worked as well.

I went to shut the door and once again the interior lights would not shut off. I tried opening both doors and closing them. Didn't make a difference. I noticed that that the SECURITY light in the gauge cluster was not flashing but was solidly lit.

I tried to use the power locks, lock and unlock. Well I ended up locking my keys in the car by accident and the SECURITY light was still lit and interior lights were on. I decided to unhook the battery and just leave it on the trickle charger.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this weird issue?
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014   #2
USAZR1

Default Re: Dead battery from a freak eletrical issue?

You have load-tested your battery,correct?
1994 ZR-1 White/Red #152 (sold)
1991 ZR-1 Callaway Aerobody #1332 (sold)
1990 ZR-1 Red/Red #952 (sold)
2002 Z06 Torch Red/Mod Red widebody
USAZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014   #3
Kevin

I had a battery issue years ago that came back about two years ago, the doors have a plunger on them that goes in when the door closes and out when the door opens to trigger the lights, mine were sticking. I preyed the DS one one out with a small screw driver and sprayed it down with wd40 till it worked properly
Old 10-02-2014   #4
GOLDCYLON

The battery is bad and prob has an internal short. I would get it load tested and replace it.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014   #5
Billy Mild

NNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Its an interstate battery too. Should I just get whatever kind of battery or is there a brand that is better than another. Advance has a $50 coupon right now.
Old 10-02-2014   #6
Kevin

I'd call aaa and have them do the swap. They were $12 more then sears when I needed a new battery in my mustang and have a far better warranty
Old 10-02-2014   #7
Billy Mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I'd call aaa and have them do the swap. They were $12 more then sears when I needed a new battery in my mustang and have a far better warranty
I have roadside assistance from my insurance company. I don't really have an issue swapping a battery myself.
Old 10-03-2014   #8
Billy Mild

What size optima battery will fit in the ZR1? Is that a good battery?
Old 10-03-2014   #9
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
What size optima battery will fit in the ZR1? Is that a good battery?
I have a red top with the top and side posts. They are pretty good and I am very satisfied with mine. You will need the mod (shave) the underside of the Cruise control bracket to allow clearance for the top posts. Its a mod that cant be seen as is under the bracket. About 20 mins work with a Dermal.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014   #10
Billy Mild

So it looks like my battery is okay for now. I left it on the trickle charger and the Z fired right up.

Now I am starting to see what could be causing this issue. A while back I had a problem with 1 or both door switches. My interior lights would randomly come on. At the time I sprayed some liquid wrench penetrating oil in order to free them up. That seemed to fix the issue I was having. So now it looks like that problem may be coming back up. When my door is shut the interior lights stay on. If the key is in the ON/Running position the lights will go out. When I turn the key off again the interior lights come on. Any suggestions what could be causing that issue?