ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 04-21-2012   #21
ghlkal

Default (why you shouldn’t worry when you first drive that “new to you” car)

The first day of driving my new-to-me Z was a little nerve-wracking. Any used car has its own idiosyncrasies that you need to get used to. I had experienced this before with other cars, so I wasn’t shocked, but still ... There are always items that won’t bother you after you figure them out. I’m watching the tach and thinking “what??” but fortunately I remembered some posts about issues with the tach filter and inaccurate readings. At a constant 70mph in 6th, it was reading nearly 3K RPM. I’m assuming that might be 2x (?) the actual reading.

We left San Antonio much later than I was hoping. The first leg of the flight down was perfect. I told my wife as we boarded the hop from Dallas to SA that I couldn’t believe how smooth the trip was starting out. Once we were all seated, the captain announced “We have a broken seal in one of the exterior lights. Should be fixed within 30 minutes.” The guy next to me said “an hour and a half” - he was right. I also had to stop at Henderson Performance, so by the time we left there it was well past 3pm. Corey advised me to take the “toll bypass” around Austin. Well, I missed it and directly after that we were in stop-and-go traffic for an hour. I was worried as I kept watching the temp rise. But, the Z held together and finally got beyond Austin. The first night we stopped in Plano (after a 10pm traffic jam in downtown Dallas – this was a Friday night).

The car isn’t too dirty after the first day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZR1 1939.jpg (56.1 KB, 33 views)
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012   #22
93RubyZ

Default Re: Bringing home ’90 #2180

When I got my Z, I had eventually came to the decision that a Ruby was my first choice but didn't think I would find one. At that time I lived in a somewhat small town outside of LA. Surely there would be tons of Zs in LA, and maybe even some Rubys. Well, it turned out the one I ended up with was from someone that lived maybe ten miles away from me!

Congrats and welcome. Nice looking car and sounds like a fun trip. Don't forget to join the registry.
93RubyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012   #23
USAFPILOT

this story makes me want to fly off somewhere and buy a car. Any time I've bought one they were always within a days drive.
1994 #293 ZR-1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, B&B catback w/ X-Pipe, 18" Shelby Series One Wheels, SLP CAI.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012   #24
ghlkal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Allowed??? Oh, heck yeah!!Tell ya what...Gimme your shirt size and I'll buy you a "T" shirt that Ken is going to be bringing to the shindig! Then you'll look "official"!
Thanks, Paul. As you can tell, I wasn't at Marc's today, so you'll have to send me an XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93RubyZ
Well, it turned out the one I ended up with was from someone that lived maybe ten miles away from me!
Cool that you got the color you wanted and it was close. I wouldn't mind that someday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFPILOT
this story makes me want to fly off somewhere and buy a car
I'll admit that it is fun ... and it really does "make memories." My boys and I have done this in the past and they still talk about the trips many years later.
Old 04-22-2012   #25
boostedmaxPSI

Congrats on the purchase. Make sure you nail that Texas plate to your garage wall.

I visit Wisconsin. Several times a year. Usually in Hudson and Rice Lake/Cameron area. Nice place to visit.
1992 Callaway SuperNatural 435 Aerobody (sold)

For Sale:
boostedmaxPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #26
RICHARD TILL

Congrats. Nice car and color too.
My 90 is a red/red #2161.
RICHARD TILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #27
ghlkal

Default (are weirdos attracted to your Vette too?)

I know better than to cruise in urban areas with my Vette. Everyone with an exhaust pipe bigger than my head wants to race. I hadn’t had any trouble driving through Texas until I needed to stop for gas. The billboard said “clean rest rooms” – that should have been my first clue to keep going. As I was walking out of the building, an inebriated individual was trying to communicate with me. I just kept walking. Once in the Z, he walks up to my wife’s side and starts pounding on the roof. As I was pre-occupied it took me a few seconds to put the key in to start it up. Did I mention that there’s an issue with the clutch interlock switch? No start. Release clutch – push clutch. Again, no start. It fired up the third time. I yelled, “back off” and left. I’m sure the right-rear 315 didn’t run over his foot, but it was close

I was eager for my first “wave” in the Z, but the only other Vette I saw the whole time in Texas was being trailered. Of course I was driving on Friday the 13th and severe weather was coming … maybe that had something to do with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZR1 1940.jpg (48.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-23-2012   #28
ghlkal

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedmaxPSI View Post
Congrats on the purchase. Make sure you nail that Texas plate to your garage wall.
I plan to. I was glad the plates stay with the car in TX so I could get it home easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHARD TILL
Congrats. Nice car and color too
As I've been able to do just a little "repair" with the clay bar, I'm starting to really like the color too!
Old 04-23-2012   #29
tf95ZR1

Default Re: (are weirdos attracted to your Vette too?)

Congrats! You will have LOTS of adventures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghlkal View Post
The billboard said “clean rest rooms” – that should have been my first clue to keep going.
You know why it took the Blonde 3 days to go 20 miles?
She saw a sign that said, "Clean Restrooms 20 miles."

Slow day.
tf95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012   #30
ghlkal

Default Re: (are weirdos attracted to your Vette too?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tf95ZR1 View Post
You know why it took the Blonde 3 days to go 20 miles?
She saw a sign that said, "Clean Restrooms 20 miles."
Good one