ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > OFF TOPIC

Old 09-03-2014   #1
alnukem

Default Need help on Vintage Stereo buying.

I bought a new house & wanted to set up my stereo in it. Went to where it was stored & no stereo???? I would now like to replace it. You know, this bites the big one! It was a early 1980's Teac. I would like to do something similiar but maybe component set. Any pointers on getting something good or learning about it. I would probably like to spend $1000 including speakers & tuner, I would probably spend more for something kickass. I think I would really dig a tube tuner. Thanks.
alnukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014   #2
XfireZ51

Default Re: Need help on Vintage Stereo buying.

Very good source.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl

Also

theabsolutesound.com

High end stuff. You won't get close to tubes for $1k.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014   #3
Schrade

Like this TEAC Tim?

I just took it out (bought new in '02, have ALL paperwork, receipts, boxes), and replaced it with

Pushing Bose 301 x 2, Cerwin Vega-712 x 2, and Mitsu SS-152 x 2, and the house quakes 1050 watts!

TEAC specs here:
http://www.cnet.com/products/teac-ag...r-5-1-channel/
And it quaked before, only without the 301's...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 09-03-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014   #4
batchman

I would be absolutely tear-assed if my stereo stuff disappeared. Condolences.

Anyway for vintage stuff I've had good luck with old A/D/S, both for the electronics (search up Atelier) (separates not the receivers) and especially for speakers. Their stuff has aged very well for me. I love my overgrown bookshelf L-980s but the tower L-1290 is arguably easier to place for good imaging.

At the more complicated end of electronic stuff (ie leaning more toward kick-***) I have a great collection of old dbx components but they are harder to find and may require more maintenance.

All the above gets pretty tough to ship though.

For my money the old analog tuners drift too much - digital frequency locking was a good invention especially as the spectrum has become more crowded and lower power.

Good luck,
- Jeff
[I]91 ZR-1 #1840, autocrossing in SCCA BSP. FIC S/S's
DRM chip/Watson/Borla/lid/LW batt&headlights,
springs, shocks, pads & lines, quick rack & Turn One,
camber brace, 32/22mm sways, A/C halfway deleted
17x11 & 12 CCW's, 315 & 335 Hoosier A6s

[/I]

Last edited by batchman; 09-05-2014 at 08:29 PM.
batchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014   #5
Vette Guy

Tim,

Take Dom's advice and review Audiogon.... And take a look at the Rotel amp/preamp and B&W speakers. It really depends on what you are looking to do with your stereo as to the amp/preamp/receiver selection, but I will say that Ive been so impressed with B&W 684s that I bought a set of 643s as well as 685s and center speakers. I still have 4 different rotel systems, and still deciding which to keep/sell.... If you want home theater, then I recommend the Rotel RSX-1065/7, or just stereo, then the rsx-965 or the rx-975 w/985 amp. You'll be right around a grand with a straight 2-speaker stereo system; more with the home theater setup.

After all these years, I never really understood what sound was all about until I got into Rotel and B&Ws... Soundstage and presence don't really exist in "normal" equipment...

Regards,
Mark
91 ZR-1 #2016
95 ZR-1 #21 DRM-600, LPE 385
Vette Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014   #6
alnukem

Well, I think I kinda did some good & some bad. I went to a Thrift store near Pittsburgh & bought a NAD 2400 Amplifier & a NAD 1600 Tuner & Pre-Amp, clean as a pin for $147, out the door, circa 1990. I searched for speakers & could not find "ANY" decent speakers, so I went to a Audio Boutique & ordered a set of Goldenear Triton Three speakers with powered bass. The salesman actually turned out to be one of my customers & cut me a sweet deal, I think. I hooked the Amp & receiver up & everything seems to work, although in my building, FM reception sucks & I don't have any other input devices. I think once I set everything up in my house it will work great. These speakers kick ***, order will probably be in Thursday.
Old 09-21-2014   #7
alnukem

Here is my "Ersatz" setup, it kicks butt! I need to do some finetuning, but it's pretty impressive! I also found a rack mount line conditioner at the thrift store for $25.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140919_193646_104.jpg (103.3 KB, 7 views)