ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Racing > Professional Motor Sports

Old 09-18-2006   #1
gaijin

Default Petit Le Mans: From Then to Now

PETIT LE MANS: FROM THEN TO NOW

Braselton, Ga. - Petit Le Mans is where it all started for the American Le Mans Series. In 1998, the first 1,000-mile/10-hour endurance event took place at Road Atlanta and set the stage for the debut of the American Le Mans Series the next year and Don Panoz's vision for a professional sports car series in North America based on the traditions and rules of the French classic.

Nine years later, many of the same competitors are back for the 2006 Petit Le Mans powered by Mazda CX-7. While the cars certainly are different (and more advanced) the aspirations and dreams of winning Petit Le Mans - and an automatic entry to Le Mans - remain the same. Here's what some of this year's Petit players, who were at Road Atlanta in the beginning, had to say:

David Brabham, Multimatic Motorsports Team Panoz Panoz Esperante GTLM (GT2)
"I've seen it grow from something no one knew about to an event that has been developing a history and heritage at a young age. The link to Le Mans has made that race grow not only in stature but also in importance. Getting a Le Mans entry is not easy. That makes it critical to do well at Petit, and that can take a lot of pressure off a team."

Jon Field, Intersport Racing Lola B05/40-AER (LMP2)
"It is in a position equal to Sebring and not very far from Le Mans. The Series has done an awesome job marketing the event as something so close to Le Mans. It has that flair that brings the people in. If you say Petit Le Mans to a racer, they'll know what it is. And that's pretty amazing to me.

"The thing about sports car racers is that we love endurance events. People want to compete in longer races because the most well prepared teams usually come out on top. History has shown that, and that's why we're looking forward to this year's event so much."

Allan McNish, Audi Sport North America Audi R10 TDI (LMP1)
"The last time I raced at Petit was in 2000, and I am glad to say everything I felt about the event in 1998 was the same or even better - well the result certainly was as Dindo, Michele Alboreto and I took an enjoyable first Audi R8 Petit Le Mans victory that basically put the 2000 Series title within our grasp.

"The Series has grown substantially in stature both in the USA and Europe. The race itself is becoming a legend in its own right and is seen as one of the "Big Three" with top manufacturers, cars, teams and drivers on the grid. Also I understand there are more fans and families coming along each year. In fact, I am sure that there will be a few youngsters at the race for the first time that will be inspired by it all and decide there and then, "Dad, I want to be a racing driver.'"

Didier Theys, Horag Racing Lola B05/40-Judd (LMP2)
"Definitely the publicity and glamour of the race has picked up since the first year. I think we can put Petit Le Mans as one of the classic endurance races of the world alongside Le Mans and Sebring. It is part of the top three endurance races in the world.

"Most of the time when we speak about endurance races, that is what makes the race quite competitive and intense - it is the length. The fact that the race is 10 hours and 1,000 miles makes it more challenging for the drivers and teams in preparation of the car."

Darren Law, Flying Lizard Motorsports Porsche 911 GT3 RSR (GT2)
"I am very proud to have been a part of the inaugural Petit Le Mans. I'm not surprised at the popularity that it has gained over the years. It's a great choice for a venue and a great event. What I am amazed at is the stature of the event and how it has grown. When you thought of IMSA and road racing in America prior to the first Petit, you thought of Sebring. Now Petit Le Mans has reached that level as it is one of the two big endurance events you want to do and win in America."

Butch Leitzinger, Dyson Racing Lola B06/10-AER (LMP1)
"It is amazing how quickly Petit Le Mans has gained stature. It's right up there with Sebring and Le Mans, which is tremendous given how young it is. It's a testament to how difficult the race is and how tough Road Atlanta is. Sebring is harder on the car because of all the bumps, and it puts a beating on the driver too. Road Atlanta is a much faster track, and it is a track where you can be caught out very easily when trying to pass the slower cars. After Road Atlanta, you're more mentally drained as it's a more furious pace."
gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote