Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-11-2020   #161
BigJohn

Default Re: Ruff Idle ,Huge Loss of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
You're not coming to coffee tomorrow smelling
like that are you?
I still have the stripes, but the odor is long gone!

BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020   #162
Tripler

OMG LOL . Ya , skunks are great fun . You know they smell better when you run them over compared to this . Smells like ABS plastic pipe burning .
Anyway , took the beast for a short tear anyway to gas it up and Holy Mackerel ! W O W . What a difference . Rear wheels keep braking loose too easily and with the ASR engaged ! [emoji16][emoji38][emoji1][emoji2][emoji3][emoji39]
What a thrill to drive one of these Beauties ! Motor smooth as smooth can be . No stumble , just get up and go . Sweet !

Sent from my SM-A205W using Tapatalk
Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020   #163
Tripler

Huge thanks to everyone's input , ideas , hunches and facts .
Another huge Thankyou to Marc Haibecks help and support and also to his awesome Plenum Pull and Injector Replacement Video . I watched it multiple times and kept the labtop close to double check proper procedures and checklists .
I would have been completely lost without it .
But I do have one issue . Everytime I turn the lights off , the headlight motors reset themsleve every time . Never did that before other than when the battery is reconnected.
Thanks
Mike

Sent from my SM-A205W using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2020   #164
Rodder

For me when going parking light on/off and had one headlight motor run it was the headlight gears. Failed totally shortly after. It also could drain the battery in just a few days. But both sides run for you, sounds unusual both go bad at once. Do the manual knob work normally? Otherwise its gears for sure.

Last edited by Rodder; 09-13-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020   #165
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Pellets, Pellets, and Pellets.
A $20.00 fix.

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020   #166
ZR2

I had accidentally interrupted this thread in the middle with my hesitation issues and apologize, but have been following it and with some advice here and just some old school stuff finally got around to looking into my stumbling / hesitation issues. If felt like an old fashion mis and so I hooked up my timing light to each plug wire. Been awhile since I had t he timing light out. I went down the line up with cylinder 1 first then 2 etc. Sure enough once I got to plug 5 the light started shuddering, not the constant pulsed flash of the first two cylinders. I kept going and sure enough 8 was acting the same way. So upon some research the WSM etc. I saw that it is the same coil that sparks both cylinders, so pretty sure I found my issue. I haven't started to start the operation yet, but have all new coils and wires and also decided to splurge and get new FIC injectors. I had used them previously on a 91 ZR1 I had and was really happy with the response. I am looking forward to getting started, It has been too long.
ZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020   #167
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR2 View Post
I had accidentally interrupted this thread in the middle with my hesitation issues and apologize, but have been following it and with some advice here and just some old school stuff finally got around to looking into my stumbling / hesitation issues. If felt like an old fashion mis and so I hooked up my timing light to each plug wire. Been awhile since I had t he timing light out. I went down the line up with cylinder 1 first then 2 etc. Sure enough once I got to plug 5 the light started shuddering, not the constant pulsed flash of the first two cylinders. I kept going and sure enough 8 was acting the same way. So upon some research the WSM etc. I saw that it is the same coil that sparks both cylinders, so pretty sure I found my issue. I haven't started to start the operation yet, but have all new coils and wires and also decided to splurge and get new FIC injectors. I had used them previously on a 91 ZR1 I had and was really happy with the response. I am looking forward to getting started, It has been too long.

WHAT?

Are you some kind of heathen or anarchist?

How can you possibly diagnose such a thing without the latest wiz-bang Scanner costing upwards of $10,000.00?

Good Job!!!

I chuckle when I see one of my techs pulling individual spark plug wires and evaluating what effect, if any, each has on the running engine.

Some things that you learn as a kid, fortunately stay with you throughout your life.

When young, I wished I had access to a then "state of the art" Sun Distributor Analyzer.
When the"old mechanic" asked me what I needed that for, he reached into his tool box and pulled out a box of distributor advance weights and springs.
He instructed me to grab my timing light.
Over the next hour of trying various combinations and observing changes in the timing with the light, we "curved" my distributor the old fashioned way.
For years he had me keep fresh match book covers and a new set of points in my glove compartment so that I could do "Super-Tuning" whenever needed.

My ear can still tell how many turns a mixture screw needs.

Kind of neat with all of the welcome technological advances, some old tried and true methods still get you to the same place.

Now get Mark's DVD and tackle that plenum pull and replace those coils!

Keep us posted with your progress!

Marty
Old 09-17-2020   #168
ZR2

Marty, so funny that you say old school. I did start the pull this morning before my lovely wife.......well needed help well say. I have had many carburetor cars and yes I agree pretty easy.....screw the mixture screw in until it stumbles and then back it out a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Funny you talk about the distributor and using the different weights etc. I had a 71 454 LS5 corvette, which i redid the car pretty completely over about a year and it was the 1st Big Block I rebuilt. I built it similar to an LS6 but with a hydraulic cam and roller tipped rockers. I put an MSD Distributor and Box on it, but still used my fancy timing light to adjust the base timing and advance with different weights etc. I had the notes in my timing light box before I started this morning. The car had a Rochester 4 barrel on it which I tried to rebuild and it just wasn't right. I admitted defeat......but had a guy he was about 70 at the time and all he did was rebuild carbs. He had a 40 year old Holly flow machine. He rebuilt it for me for $130. He told me to stick with doing mortgages!!!! Once I put that carb on, it had a 100 more horsepower or so it felt. It would bust loose the tires loose at 25 mph in 1st gear with 3:36 gears. I have moved on to the ZR1. I had a 91 in the past and missed it. Before I owned it I didn't care as much for the C4, but once I owned it, my opinion changed and I love it.
ZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020   #169
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Those lessons learned on the 454 will serve you well, still!
I was a banker for 40 years, Now I have even more fun!
We are here to help you all; Just ask!

Marty
Old 09-19-2020   #170
Tripler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
For me when going parking light on/off and had one headlight motor run it was the headlight gears. Failed totally shortly after. It also could drain the battery in just a few days. But both sides run for you, sounds unusual both go bad at once. Do the manual knob work normally? Otherwise its gears for sure.

Thanks for the tip . I have not had time to hand crank them yet but will try that this week . Just the right side resets itself after lights turn on then off . Weird . Did not do that before .