ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > General > ZR-1 Net Registry Club News

Old 11-19-2009   #1
DaveK

Default Registry suggestion

There have been several posts recently by people looking for the various special tools for various jobs on the LT5/ZR-1 and that set me thinking. Would it be possible for the registry to buy a complete set of these tools that could then be loaned to members when needed? This way it would mean that all the members would have access to the tools needed to keep their beasts in top shape and minimise the cost to individuals instead of having to find and buy often expensive and rare tools for infrequent maintenance.

Obviously there would be a cost to buy these, perhaps that could be covered through donations initially (like a 'group buy') or perhaps through a "rent-a-tool" fee.

Thanks

Dave
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009   #2
QB93Z

Default Re: Registry suggestion

I agree with what you are proposing.

I am a member of a Model A Ford club in the Baltimore area that has a club-owned collection of all of the special tools and equipment to do any job on a Model A. Any club member can check out a tool and use it. The system works well.

Since the ZR-1 Net Registry is an international organization, the system may have to be different than my local Model A club with less than 50 members.

I suggest that a small group of members formulate a plan on how to procure and manage the "loan" of the tools and then make a proposal to the club at a board meeting.

The ZR-1 owners in the Washington DC area (WAZOO) are doing something similar to what you propose, although the tools and parts are all privately owned, and are offered to other WAZOO members for use.

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/forum/...ead.php?t=9915

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009   #3
phrogs

I wany to get a tool set so I can machine a copy of all of the tools I have quite a few of my own already but I want a nice complete set.

The big thing with a set that the registry owns is what kind of time limit would you give a individual using the tools? and what $$ deposite would you require incase they didnt return the tools?

I have borrowed other members tools in the past and was greatly apreciative but I have also broken tools and had to replace them and also probably kept them way past what I should have.

thats why I say what I say because I have done it

Currently own

90 ZR-1 #845 DRM 500 engine package

90 #226 Parts car Hit me up if you need anything.
phrogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009   #4
Hammer

Talking Re: Registry suggestion

Great idea.

I think a program similar to the Autozone program would be a good way. You provide a valid credit card to "check out" the tool you need and the replacement cost of the tool would be added to that card. When the tool is returned in operable condition the card is then refunded the amount charged.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009   #5
bobbyhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Great idea.

I think a program similar to the Autozone program would be a good way. You provide a valid credit card to "check out" the tool you need and the replacement cost of the tool would be added to that card. When the tool is returned in operable condition the card is then refunded the amount charged.

Good idea John. However, there should also be a time limit added somehow.
1990 #2405 White/Gray
Haibeck chip,4:09 gears,Power Effects Exhaust,5 spoke chrome,C5 brakes,49th Street rockers,K&N,Hurst,Headers,Upper & lower ported

Minnesota State Director
Founding Member #19
bobbyhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009   #6
xlr8nflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogs View Post
I wany to get a tool set so I can machine a copy of all of the tools I have quite a few of my own already but I want a nice complete set.

The big thing with a set that the registry owns is what kind of time limit would you give a individual using the tools? and what $$ deposite would you require incase they didnt return the tools?

I have borrowed other members tools in the past and was greatly apreciative but I have also broken tools and had to replace them and also probably kept them way past what I should have.

thats why I say what I say because I have done it
Also, it seems like a full time job just to keep track of that "Heart of the Beast" Book that is loaned out to members. In theory it seems nice, I think you would just have to have a strict policy and monetary penalty if you don't obey the rules and timeframes.
xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009   #7
tomtom72

JMHO, but I agree with John and Jim.

Please not trying to say it's a bad idea. I just think that we might be better off looking at it from another direction.

I feel strongly that we should not involve the NetReg in any official way ( unless we can pull a discounted group buy thru it).
We should take a head's up from the local guys like the FBI & WAZZO and Jim's experience with the Model T guys.

I think that if we divide into regional groups where there are enough wrenchin' types in each group to make a "group buy" financially easy on the wallet.

We figure out how many sets we will need. Approach the guys that are members who are engine builders and or machinists, or the guys that do this stuff often, so we get the skinny on what is possible & how to properly use the stuff, and any other tips they want to share with our groups.

Maybe with that knowledge we will know if we then could use the NetReg's contacts as an entry point to actually buy how ever many tool sets we need and if we will get a price consideration from the source. Or, with guys that are machinists, maybe we could actually make the stuff? That part I don't know anything about because I'm not a machinist.

Then if we get a source or sources for the tools, and know how much $$ we need per set, the local groups can organize the cash for the buys. Then each local group will decide the rules for tool check out, what to do when new owners come into our registry and what to do when people leave.

Sorry to be so long. JMHO

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009   #8
DaveK

Hi Tom

The only issue I can see with that is that it would probably leave groups where there are few ZR-1s kind of out in the cold and stuck with the same kind of problem.

The suggestion of John's about the credit card 'checkout' sounds like a good one. Obviously any program of this type has to balance availability with security of the tools themselves. Bob is also right about needing a timelimit. Something like max of 1 month. That would be enough time to do any job I would say, if you can't get it done in that time then you probably weren't ready to do the job when you requested the tool.

The person loaning should also pick up any shipping costs - both ways.

Just my thoughts.
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009   #9
Jagdpanzer

Can those knowledgeable post up a list of the ZR-1 and LT5 tools with three categories:
"A" Those that are essential for building up an LT5 that cannot be readily improvised or duplicated in a typical shop.

"B" Those that are needed but can be improvised, duplicated, or worked around.

"C" Important special tools to have for the rest of the the ZR-1.

A good improvised example are the cylinder liner hold downs that HAWAIIZR-1 was asking about the other day where JeffVette and lbszr had a couple of acceptable alternatives that would do the job just fine and save having to run out an spend a lot of money on hard to find special Kent-Moore LT5 tools.

I have a home machine shop in the basement that is probably capable of fabricating most of the mechanical tools if I had sufficient details on the originals. For example Last year I produce a full set of special tools needed for rebuilding the C4 Dana 44 rearend.
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #10
tomtom72

I agree with Jag's post. I guess that's what I was thinking....

Hi Dave! I agree with your assessment of there will be some of us out in the cold....I'll be one of them more than likely. It will be up to us out in the cold guys to ally ourselves with the closest "group". It can't be helped as in some spots we are spread pretty thin. I just feel the more "local" the ownership is, the more flexibility there will be with regards to the loan out rules. JMHO

I just feel that the registry should not be responsible for making the investment in the purchase of tools. I'm sure I don't understand all the 'political' & financial in's & out's of running the registry so it's just an opinion that I hold concerning the tool purchase.

1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote