1993 ZR1 Ruby 40th Anniversary #112
MickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014   #12
WVZR-1

Default Re: Fuse Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
It is a 90.
First thing I would do is check the cruise fuse and make sure that you understand the requirements that need to be met for the vanity, map lights etc to function under. I don't recall if some require "key on" or not. If you've a test light check each component for power at the device. If you want to check any fuses you do NOT need to remove them. All ATO fuses have 2 exposed ports on the plastic end that you can access with a test probe. It would be very unusual to have to remove a fuse to confirm continuity as was mentioned in your other post. Very unusual.

Here is an image of an ATO fuse that you can "zoom" to see the exposed ports that I mentioned. You can go down and around an entire fuse block and check in a matter of minutes. Just determine which should be powered "constant" and from "key on"!

http://shop.pkys.com/Blue-Sea-System...15A_p_809.html

Do you have a FSM? If yes see the pages in book 2 that I mentioned.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014   #13
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
My cigarette lighter, visor lights, (new visors) and storage bin lights all out. Can anyone tell me which fuse or fuses that is. And where is the fuse for hood lights so I can pull fuse.

Thanks guys
Initially depending on memory (first mistake) I did some testing/verifying to discover what is really what with regard to the 90, CTSY fuse (upper left corner of the main fuse panel), and the AUX FUSE BLOCK and was able to verified the following:
  • The foot courtesy lights - come on when the door is unlocked with the key, but if the door is left open/adjar OR the ignition switch is turned to the ON position, they will go out.
  • The MAP light on the rear view mirror will operate w/ or w/o the IGNITION (IGN) switch ON or OFF.
  • The outside TEMPERATURE reading display will register with the switch ON. But, if the fuse is pulled/blown, the temp display back lighting will be present, but no digital temp display
  • The speaker amplifiers AND the antenna will operate IF the radio itself is turned ON along with the IGN switch is either in the ON or the ACC position. (Note, however, the radio itself IS NOT powered by the CTSY FUSE, but rather a separate fuse. This is a little tricky, because the radio pre-sets display will indicate the radio is working, but there's no sound (and the antenna will not raise) which can perhaps lead one to conclude the radio is not working and lead them in that direction instead of the CTSY fuse.)
  • The climate controls; A/C, heat, etc. will operate IF the IGN switch is ON
  • The cigarette lighter IS ALWAYS HOT.

The AUX FUSE BLOCK: (apologies for the pic quality - the camera lacks a macro capability. I'll replace it when I get a chance.)

The block is located under the passenger hush panel. The panel is held by two screws on the bottom edge, and one screw under the bottom right of the cover for the main fuse panel. (that panel cover is held by 3 screws). Find the AUX FUSE BLOCK located right of center of the hush panel, directly above where a passenger's right ankle might rest. The AUX BLOCK might be obscured by some wire harnesses that might have to be pushed aside to view/access the fuses thereon.

from the top:
  • the primary fuel pump (FP2 - correction) is the 10A fuse (red) at the top
  • the THEFT deterrent fuse, a 15A fuse (blue) is second from the top
  • the power door lock is the third fuse fuse a 15A fuse (blue)
  • the "CRNK A/B" fuse is a 10A (red) fuse (ref the FSM).

Sometimes when in the midst of troubleshooting problems consisting of several circuits which are further complicated by layers of switches and relays, and the occasional misprint in the manual, what controls what can get confused: - as apparently I became during my trek through these very circuits only a couple months ago. So, my apologies if I confused anyone earlier.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 07-14-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014   #14
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
The AUX BLOCK might be obscured by some wire harnesses that might have to be pushed aside to view/access the fuses thereon.

from the top:
  • the primary fuel pump (FP1) is the 10A fuse (red) at the top
  • the THEFT deterrent fuse, a 15A fuse (blue) is second from the top
  • the power door lock is the third fuse fuse a 15A fuse (blue)
  • the "CRNK A/B" fuse is a 10A (red) fuse (ref the FSM).
Almost correct Paul but the FP1 is in the primary fuse receptacle like all '90 C4's - bottom most right in the main. FP2 is in the AUX (only LT5)

Something that needs to be mentioned is that this is a '90 only configuration. In '91 I believe there are 2 AUX receptacles

Cliff - your images weren't there when I was doing mine. I went and confirmed in the FSM the FP1 placement. You can't read the lower row of fuses in your image any way so left to right: STOP/HAZ, WPR, ECM, FP1

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-14-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-14-2014   #15
WVZR-1

The '91 with the addition of the additional accessory harness in the console the CIGAR was moved to the AUX 2 as well as the "keyed on" wire of the accessory harness.
Old 07-14-2014   #16
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
Almost correct Paul but the FP1 is in the primary fuse receptacle like all '90 C4's - bottom most right in the main. FP2 is in the AUX (only LT5)

Something that needs to be mentioned is that this is a '90 only configuration. In '91 I believe there are 2 AUX receptacles

Cliff - your images weren't there when I was doing mine. I went and confirmed in the FSM the FP1 placement. You can't read the lower row of fuses in your image any way so left to right: STOP/HAZ, WPR, ECM, FP1
Dayam, the AUX photo! Thanks, and I'll make the correction. However, there is another 10A FP fuse under the ECM...which I discovered too. Marc told me what it was, but I've not investigated it further - just re-attached it and moved on as part of the re-assembly process. Just why they scattered fuses all over the place is annoying, to say the least....

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014   #17
WVZR-1

Default Re: Fuses on a 90' and 91'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Now tell me why I have different amp fuses in the 90' and 91'.
Guess I have the correct fuses in each but interesting the different amperage for the various components between a 90' and 91'.

This is a 1990.

Your '90 has an incorrect "TAIL" fuse
Old 07-14-2014   #18
WVZR-1

10 AMP is radio, B CONV is cigar lighter and B+ for the accessory harness in console, I CONV is "switched" wire in console.

10 AMP top is L INST which does a multitude of LEFT functions, left door courtesy, LH window switch, Heater and AC control, DIC. Power mirror and radio control lamps. There's a R INST 10 AMP in the main block. It does get confusing on the '91.

The fuse value in the AUX 2 is deceiving, in your snapshot the value of the fuse is above the fuse and the function of the fuse is under the fuse. Next time you look the lower 10 AMP says RADIO below it. It took me a little to sort out your snapshot, it's dramatically different from the labeling of the AUX 1 where value and function are combined.

OP is likely ready to kick all our a$$es but I really believe he just needs to concentrate on the CRUISE fuse, the CTSY fuse and check each component separately if those fuses are good. I believe he should be good to go with no major issues! That's all I intended was to get the OP to concentrate on only those 2 fuses and circuits so that he could disregard the removal of the RH hush-panel etc.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-14-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-14-2014   #19
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
But...there is a 10 amp fuse on primary fuse panel for radio (90' and 91')?

Oh....you are saying 10 amp to receiver box (radio) on 91'? Are you talking CDM?
And....which fuse was cigar lighter on 90' primary fuse panel?
After I looked at your snapshot I redid the response and ID'd both 10 AMP fuses because your snapshot looked to be a little short on the AUX 2. Yes CDM.

'90 cigar was covered yesterday - CTSY 15 AMP.
Old 07-14-2014   #20
MickeyD

I'm so confused. LOL
1990 ZR1 Red/Black #2469
1990 ZR1 Black/Black #843
1993 ZR1 Ruby 40th Anniversary #112
MickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote