ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-09-2013   #11
Corbusa

Default Re: Which headers?

I thought I read where a few Gents. had to shim the engine or dimple the obx headers . Correct me if I am wrong.. I too would rather support a local guy. Does anyone have the picture of Coreys headers or cost etc?
Corbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #12
Karl

I am leaning towards purchasing the OBX headers also. I do not see why the others charge so much for LT5 headers since they are all made of the same stainless steel material.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #13
boostedmaxPSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod-v8 View Post
I am leaning towards purchasing the OBX headers also. I do not see why the others charge so much for LT5 headers since they are all made of the same stainless steel material.
....and there's the difference. Not the same material at all. More specific it's the thickness of the pipes that are not the same. I watch one of Corey's guys make one of their headers. It is a time intensive process.

If you are interested in Corey's headers I would encourage you to get a quote. I will say I paid much more for my SW then what Corey quoted me. Again, I was impatient.... And it cost me. However, I am 100% satisfied with my SW headers. Amazing sound and I did improve my rwhp by just under 30hp with a hot motor. Not too bad.

Hope this helps.
1992 Callaway SuperNatural 435 Aerobody (sold)

For Sale:
boostedmaxPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #14
Karl

I looked on his webpage and could not find out about the LT5 headers.

The OBX I found out about:

1990-1995 Chevy Corvette ZR1 LT5

(2") primaries
(3") slip fitted to stock
(16) gauge runner wall
(2) o2 sensor ports
304 stainless steel
CNC Machined 3/8 inch Thick Flange
CNC machined
Mandrel bend for smoother flow
Individual port designed
Backed by OBX warranty
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #15
mike100

I'm in the process of installing a used set of mystery headers (2" primaries). Previously, I ported the intake. The intake work was probably good for a little mid range torque gain, but the headers seem to be the key to getting the big rwhp improvements in conjunction with the intake work.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #16
Fully Vetted

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedmaxPSI View Post
100% satisfied. Very good product. Would have preferred to support a local vendor. Plus Corey is just a great guy. I don't know anyone at SW.
Oh, yeah. I totally get that. Had my car not come with SW's I def would have gone with Corey. And he is absolutely a class guy. I thought at first you were having an issue.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #17
Corbusa

Will Corey be at BG?
Old 05-10-2013   #18
USAFPILOT

I like my SW headers, installed by me. Though I need to make a drive out to Corey's for a tune. It has been like 2 years since I put them on and I still haven't.
1994 #293 ZR-1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, B&B catback w/ X-Pipe, 18" Shelby Series One Wheels, SLP CAI.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #19
Corbusa

Schrade I reread your post and thought I'd add. To go along with my headers I bought dynomax mufflers #17228 and will be using the factory exhaust since its 2 3/4, It should breath just fine. I'll change out the resonator to an X pipe. and today I made some brackets for the mufflers before taking them to have the ceramic coating installed. ( I want to try and use the factory type hangers)The X pipe will be coated as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0840.jpg (119.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-10-2013   #20
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod-v8 View Post
Welcome onto the boards there...

-----------------------------

What work do you have in your top end there, boosted, to get the extra twist in the rear wheels???

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedmaxPSI View Post
....and there's the difference. Not the same material at all. More specific it's the thickness of the pipes that are not the same. I watch one of Corey's guys make one of their headers. It is a time intensive process.

If you are interested in Corey's headers I would encourage you to get a quote. I will say I paid much more for my SW then what Corey quoted me. Again, I was impatient.... And it cost me. However, I am 100% satisfied with my SW headers. Amazing sound and I did improve my rwhp by just under 30hp with a hot motor. Not too bad.

Hope this helps.
------------------------------------

and is header wrap beneficial?

With no portwork up top (yet), and exhaust gases not pushing capacity, the gases would cool quickly, and cooler gases are heavieir to push out the back...

I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote