ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-28-2014   #1
Dynomite

Default ZR-1 Towing Adapter

I have started this as a new thread to separate Standard ZR-1 Towing using a Commercial Tow Truck/Carrier and commercial attachments (often jury rigged for the ZR-1) and Towing by another vehicle short distances (not cross country) using your own Tow Adapter.

For simplicity of discussion lets keep this thread focused on the Tow Adapter cited here only.

Towing the ZR-1.

Before I get to Towing the ZR-1....lets talk No Start. With this adapter as long as you can maneuver a vehicle in front of the ZR-1 No Starts are history. Just attach nylon rope to Tow Adapter and with Key ON in Second Gear with just a little pull....POP the Clutch....You Are OFF and RUNNING.

Emergency Kit.....15 ft tow rope (5,000 lb vehicle rating), Jumper Cables, Tow Adapter, Lug Wrench

Daniel_Mc provided a concept/photo of a Tow Adapter for a ZR-1 that in its simplicity I just could not pass up
So......I designed one after the photo provided by Daniel_Mc and had a local steel shop fabricate the Tow Adapter.
I did some towing tests to see if there are any issues or limitations. One limitation will be towing at an angle in a turn which this adapter without being bolted on the back side of the cross member will not function (that did not seem to be an issue during the tow tests). The Tow Adapter is made from 1/8 inch steel plate which is substantial and flexible enough to tow the ZR-1 with Nylon Tow Ropes having a steel hook on one end.

The Tow Adapter is made to engage the 1-1/4 inch square tubing of the frame support under the front of the ZR-1.

See Lifting and Towing the ZR-1

Last edited by Dynomite; 04-28-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #2
Dynomite

Default Re: ZR-1 Towing Adapter

A. Tow Adapter Description.

When needed for towing, the Tow Adapter is slipped through a 4 inch x 1/8 inch slot in the front Air Spoiler. There are two 1/2 inch holes (not shown in photos) in the Tow Adapter plate (one for 90' and one for 91') depending on which model year you use the Tow Adapter. 1/4 inch Allen Head Bolts are inserted into one hole or other with large Pan Head Washers on each side (and adjusted snug against the Air Spoiler. The 1/4 inch Allen Head bolt keeps the Tow Adapter in place if you want to keep it installed as you drive which is NOT recommended as it tends to contact curbs just as the spoiler contacts curbs and gets damaged.

The Tow Adapter sticks out about 4 inches in beyond the skirt on a 91' and about 6 inches beyond the skirt on a 90' (variations in skirt design).

The best tool to make the 4 inch x 1/8 inch slot in the front Air Spoiler is an Angle Grinder (with Cut Off wheel).

A nylon tow rope (a steel hook on the end is required) can be attached to the receiver in the Tow Adapter (2 inch x 2-1/2 inch hole).

B. Installing the Tow Adapter.

The Tow Adapter is simply installed by reaching under the Air Spoiler and inserting the front tip of the Tow Adapter into the slot in the Air Spoiler. Push forward and then lightly tap the rear of the Tow Adapter onto the cross member with a small hammer. The Tow Adapter is removed by lightly tapping on the front tip of the Tow Adapter with a small hammer.

Last edited by Dynomite; 04-29-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-28-2014   #3
Dynomite

C. Testing Tow Adapter.

The Tow Adapter was tested towing the 91' ZR-1 with a lawn tractor on gravel. A small nylon sling was used for towing. The Tow Adapter was NOT bolted to the frame in any way.

When towing at an angle of 45 degrees the front wheels were turned in the direction of towing. With a lawn tractor and the use of this Tow Adapter, the ZR-1 could be backed into the street and with a lawn tractor pulled and then releasing the clutch in second gear starting the engine if your battery is dead. There was no deformation of the Tow Adapter during these tests .

Towing in a straight line............................................Towing at an angle of 45 degrees.

D. Storing Tow Adapter.

I have elected to carry the tow adapter on the right side of the passenger seat where it fits perfectly with my Gorilla Lug Wrench. I have found with the tow adapter installed it is easy to hit it with a curb when parking. It is very easy to slip in place if needed without jacking the vehicle. The Tow Adapter can be installed in 5 seconds after you are standing in front of the ZR-1 and removed in 5 seconds same position.

Tow Adapter Stored next to Passenger Seat......................Gorilla Lug Wrench

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-13-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-28-2014   #4
efnfast

Would this be used to secure the car to a flatbed?
efnfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #5
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
Would this be used to secure the car to a flatbed?
No as it is only one direction and I would use typical chain around A-Arms/frame for tying down with wheels blocked for towing on a flat bed similar to what commercial car carriers would do.

Last edited by Dynomite; 04-28-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-28-2014   #6
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZR1 View Post
Absolutely love the tow adapter
Makes loading the car in the trailer soooo easy!!!!
Thanks cliff!!!!
David
Thanks Dave....they work great for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmvette View Post
Dynomite: Did you make extras? I am interested in buying a tow hook to install on my car for winching it up into a trailer.
If these are available, please let me know. If somebody has other suggestions, please share.
Thanks
Yes......and having more made up as we speak

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
I like the look of this and it is a good idea. How long does it stick out?? I have seen many c5 corvette with tow hooks installed running around all the time. Is this installed with bolts or just to place on metal bar and pull? I am interested in one of these. You never know..... Do you make them?? Price?

ed ramos #3028
The Tow Adapter sticks out about 4 inches in beyond the skirt on a 91' and about 6 inches beyond the skirt on a 90' (variations in skirt design). The 90' ZR-1 Tow Adapter is installed shown below.

I have elected to carry the tow adapter on the right side of the passenger seat where it fits perfectly with my Gorilla Lug Wrench. I have found with the tow adapter installed it is easy to hit it with a curb when parking. It is very easy to slip in place if needed without jacking the vehicle. The Tow Adapter can be installed in 5 seconds after you are standing in front of the ZR-1 and removed in 5 seconds same position.

Last edited by Dynomite; 04-30-2014 at 04:16 AM.
Old 04-28-2014   #7
Tyler Townsley

Another idea would be to use the J hook locations and 2 J hooks. Use a rope with one hook at each end. You can get to the J hook locations from the top after opening the hood. I use these to tie down for trailering as there are 2 in front and 2 in rear.
Tyler
68 Torch Red
88 ZR1 Blue
90 ZR1 White
Tyler Townsley is offline   Reply With Quote