ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-04-2017   #21
Helium3

Default Re: Shopping for 1st ZR-1

All I can say is that:

1. You need to have a devout love for these cars, and be 110% sure you want a ZR-1.

2. These cars are going on 30 years old and operations and maintenance support for long term reliability is getting smaller. We have a couple shops that know what they're doing and a good parts supplier plus regional club meetups where people work on each others cars. In the last 5 years several shops that were working on them only do C5 and newer or retired.

3. If you're thinking of getting a bigger cube engine, buy it now instead of waiting until later. 390+ CID engine work can exceed 20k easily. Only 2 crank makers (Bryant and Moldex) and both are 5k just for the crank. Neither crank are much lighter than factory one. Only 2 long tube header makers (OBX and Stainless Works). Neither are top notch like American Racing, Borla of Pfadt. Especially OBX. If you love to mod get a newer C5Z or C6Z, way cheaper and massive support for LS engines. The day support for LS engines stops is that day the last drop of gasoline is refined on planet earth.

4. If you're looking to use this as a long term investment I would shy away from that. I recall a gentlemen who had a 95 wrapped in plastic the day he bought it from the factory and held onto it for 20 years expecting value to appreciate. He barely got original MSRP for it. 2015 dollars are not the same as 1995 ones. At least a 60% inflation factor. Maybe one day these cars will command sky high prices like Ferrari Testarossa (512M especially) or air cooled Porsches.

5. Like others have stated; buy from a forum ZR-1/Corvette member if possible. Dealerships charge too much and their mechanics will take one look at the engine and say "heck no, I ain't touching this thing!"

6. Again refer to #1; devout love of these cars who seeks the thrill to improve upon and keep running in top shape.

7. I own 4 of these cars with one being a world challenge with full race bodywork and aero with Jeal headers. Love these cars. Sometimes I regret it and think I must be a real dumba$$ for buying them relative to newer Vettes. When they run right, you add horsepower or put them on a Snake Skinner diet they come alive.
Helium3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017   #22
A1990

Helium3, would love to see a few pictures of the world challenge car.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
90 ZR-1 #2562 Atomic-Z
ZR-1 Net Registry Chairman of the Board
ZR-1 Net Registry Treasurer
A1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017   #23
zrfast1

Pete has a white 90 at the house that a customer left it behind to sell, after Pete did some work to it...I've seen it ...very nice car but not perfect. Needs TLC. diamond in the rough! And the seller is motivated.
His Name is Pete on this forum.
zrfast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017   #24
ghlkal

OP, lots of great advice in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helium3 View Post
All I can say is that:
1. You need to have a devout love for these cars, and be 110% sure you want a ZR-1.
I agree with Helium3 _except_ you only need to be 75% sure you want one (as I was). It will convince you after you have it
1990 ZR-1 #2180 Red/Black
Many of the usual mods for 460HP, tuned by Marc Haibeck
ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1548
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017   #25
SpeedGeek

Not completely married to idea of getting ZR-1 but I have the ring already, 😁. But yes, I've narrowed down my choices and leaning heavily towards one as long as I find the right one for me. So yea sorta like marriage, lol. Long story short, I finally have the opportunity to get another car that's just for me and not the family. I prefer that it be a "rare" car that was considered special for the time and still significant to this day. In terms of upfront affordability, nothing else but the ZR-1 immediately came to mind. Plus, I've always wanted a Vette, so 2 birds 1 stone. 😉

Appreciate ALL the input! Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-T350 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
SpeedGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017   #26
edram454

Think it through carefully. You must be committed to maintain this car and become very knowledgeable with the mechanics around you who can work on it and its vulnerabilities it has. Some parts are readily available and some parts are discontinued and in demand. It is a rare car but it is a two edged sword also. This site is one that you must belong to if you want any chance in being able to maintain and care for the car correctly.

Most people who can tell the difference from a run of the mill c4 appreciate it and the ones that do appreciate it like looking at it but would never consider owning it since it is rare and a unicorn among corvettes and the chances of recovering your money will be kind of slim unless you buy real low. always get the best car you can. buy a modded car from a great owner. there are a few here who are selling great modded cars. there is a 368 stroker with a polished engine that has been for sale a while but I find to be an excellent value. It has extensive great mods and is in mint condition. If you want less risk then buy a c5 or c6 z06. I wish you good luck in your search. It is a historic car and it holds up well despite it being over 25 years old in some cases. It is still relevant performance wise but with the new cars like camaros and mustangs pushing 440hp in stock condition dont be surprised to be smoked in a race unless you have a well modded, head ported, long tube headed, intake plenum and injector housing ported and stroked LT5. Just my opinion. If you are in love with the history and mystique then this car is for you.

edram454

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017   #27
Vette73

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
Think it through carefully. You must be committed to maintain this car and become very knowledgeable with the mechanics around you who can work on it and its vulnerabilities it has. Some parts are readily available and some parts are discontinued and in demand. It is a rare car but it is a two edged sword also. This site is one that you must belong to if you want any chance in being able to maintain and care for the car correctly.

Most people who can tell the difference from a run of the mill c4 appreciate it and the ones that do appreciate it like looking at it but would never consider owning it since it is rare and a unicorn among corvettes and the chances of recovering your money will be kind of slim unless you buy real low. always get the best car you can. buy a modded car from a great owner. there are a few here who are selling great modded cars. there is a 368 stroker with a polished engine that has been for sale a while but I find to be an excellent value. It has extensive great mods and is in mint condition. If you want less risk then buy a c5 or c6 z06. I wish you good luck in your search. It is a historic car and it holds up well despite it being over 25 years old in some cases. It is still relevant performance wise but with the new cars like camaros and mustangs pushing 440hp in stock condition dont be surprised to be smoked in a race unless you have a well modded, head ported, long tube headed, intake plenum and injector housing ported and stroked LT5. Just my opinion. If you are in love with the history and mystique then this car is for you.

edram454
Yes I believe the 368 stroker if I'm not mistaken is at gateway classics right now...I believe it's on consignment......I saw this car after I bought mine and I believe the asking price was around 25,000 when the forum member was selling privately....

Worth every penny of 25K, plus owned by an enthusiast.....If you go on gateway classics website they have a video of the car in motion.....Not a big fan of the white stripe but when I saw the video it looks great.....Car is showroom with the right mods......The mods alone were probably close to if not more than 25K....Something to consider if we are talking about the same car...
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017   #28
randy ransome

The red car with the white stripe is mine and yes it's at Gateway Classic Cars.

It's a great car with no issues. It has the best of everything when it comes to modified parts. The Only reason I'm selling is I've got another ZR-1 and I bought a 67 427 coupe.

If interested give me a call.

Thanks,
Randy 901-573-3406

randy ransome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017   #29
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy ransome View Post
The red car with the white stripe is mine and yes it's at Gateway Classic Cars.

It's a great car with no issues. It has the best of everything when it comes to modified parts. The Only reason I'm selling is I've got another ZR-1 and I bought a 67 427 coupe.

If interested give me a call.

Thanks,

Randy 901-573-3406

Whomever buys the Randy Ransome car is going to get an awesome car. I remember when you bought that car. Wow, a 67 427!! GLWS and glad to hear you'll keep one.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017   #30
XfireZ51

Randy,

Did Ligenfelter do the 368? I'd LOVE to see what that motor does if
Pete were just to breathe on it a bit.