ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 04-26-2017   #1
Livin' in the 80's

Default New ZR1 owner experience.

For all of you that are owners and alike. I have owned many sport bikes in my Life. I can say that I have experienced the hayabusa at over 180 at a snap of a finger. This car is the closest I have driven that reminds me of that. If you haven't drive fast sport bikes, you. Need to at least experience it. The zr1 tonight on the highway blew me away as far as the acceleration. My busa would have blown it away, but this would have eventually kept up. Holy crap is this car fast! WOW

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
:Eagle:[URL=http://s653.photobucket.com/user/craigwhite84/media/Kelly%20Boat/IMG_0468a_zpso50qvl1y.jpg.html][IMG]http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu256/craigwhite84/Kelly%20Boat/IMG_0468a_zpso50qvl1y.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

1990 ZR1 Black/Black #2317
Livin' in the 80's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017   #2
Livin' in the 80's

Default Re: New ZR1 owner experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin' in the 80's View Post
For all of you that are owners and alike. I have owned many sport bikes in my Life. I can say that I have experienced the hayabusa at over 180 at a snap of a finger. This car is the closest I have driven that reminds me of that. If you haven't drive fast sport bikes, you. Need to at least experience it. The zr1 tonight on the highway blew me away as far as the acceleration. My busa would have blown it away, but this would have eventually kept up. Holy crap is this car fast! WOW

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0622.JPG

:Eagle:[URL=http://s653.photobucket.com/user/craigwhite84/media/Kelly%20Boat/IMG_0468a_zpso50qvl1y.jpg.html][IMG]http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu256/craigwhite84/Kelly%20Boat/IMG_0468a_zpso50qvl1y.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

1990 ZR1 Black/Black #2317
Livin' in the 80's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017   #3
rush91

That's a good looking Beast

My ZR-1 is the safest I've ever felt in a car at those high of speeds. I'm not a motorcycle guy, but can imagine it's an insane sensation in the triple digits on a bike.... The night I bought mine I had a 2hour interstate cruise back home, and chickened out at 168 - 169 MPH. I agree, the LT5 and the Corvette that is wrapped around it never cease to amaze me.
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017   #4
Tripler

Nice ! . I am a bike guy but have not faster than 130 mph on the bike and 150 in a race prepared C4 . Yes the Z is amazing . Incredibly smooth and stable at higher speeds .
Be safe and watch out for smokey . They have lots at there disposal nowadays to catch people just enjoying there beast for a few moments .

Sent from my LG-H831 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017   #5
Vette73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin' in the 80's View Post

Your right about sport bikes...Years ago I had a 90 GXSX-R 1100,pipe jet kit etc..Did 170 a few times on that bike....At that speed when you look down for a split second at the speedometer you are traveling a football field in a second..Yes quite a rush.....Over 10,000 RPM ...After unfortunately that bike was stolen after seven years of ownership I picked up the 89 GSX-R 1100 ( White and blue) another torque monster....

That was followed up by a ZX-12 Ninja..At the time my friend had the 03 Busa extended swing arm and pipe........The ninja was fast but that Busa was an animal especially down low....He topped out at 190.....Crazy speeds I never even would attempt at this stage in my life......I gave up riding years ago but like you said, nothing compares to the speed and power of a properly tuned modern sport bike......Be safe....
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017   #6
FU

Start modifying it. Most of the mods will make the LT5 run hard without changing the appearance of the engine or the character of driving experience. But you will have a huge grin on your face.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017   #7
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Frank is so right! That LT5 just wants to BREATHE! Porting and headers don't alter the appearance or the drivability at all. But, what a difference 500+ hp makes...while keeping a stock idle to boot!

Welcome to the BROTHERHOOD OF THE BEAST!

Sport bikes...AH, Yessss... My thrill was my first ZX-11 Ninja. What a RUSH!

My fastest sprint was a little over 150. A I was in the right lane (freeway) when a guy on a GSX came up beside me in the left lane, looked over at me and nodded and then nailed it. Traffic was cruising at 70 ish in my lane. Wellll..... Of course I couldn't let that stand, so, "click-click" & twist of the wrist and OH-BABY, OH-BABY, OH-BABY!! There's nuttin' like the sound or the rush produced by an angry liter bike!!

My helmet was was buffeting and sliding about on my head when I looked down at the speedo. The tack was still climbing and the Ninja wanted to play some more, but finally some common sense reminded me I was sharing the road with cars - and if one pulled out ahead of me to pass, I'd splatter like a bug - on the rear bumper!

Regrettably... hard times hit and I had to sell that bike. But, like you, the rush came back on my first pass in the 1/4 mile event with the Z. And the permagrin has never left me in the 10 years since!

BTW... Are you doing anything the week of May 14th? A group of us are going on the 5th Mountain Run (MR5) that starts Sunday night at the drivers meeting in Blowing Rock, NC. the next 2 days are filled with some spirited drives through some twisty mountain roads before heading over to Bowling Green, KY for the annual C4 Corvette Gathering - which is going to feature some track events, some go-carts, some guided tours through the local mountains (fun!). And, some good ol comradery too!

Hope you can make it!

Paul.

PS: For more info, look at the MR5 threads and or PM GUNNY if you have more questions.

Welcome!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 04-27-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017   #8
gmonsen

Livin' in the 80's... Congratulations on the new Z. I quit the liter bikes some time ago, but can remember doing 150 and saying that's enough for me. Ever. At 69 I'm limiting myself to half a liter.

Paul... I've done a lot but no motor work. Big brakes. Chassis braces. New A-arms, bushings, and shocks. Bigger front sway bar. Is there an easier route to porting than Haibeck? I can install some long tube headers at home, but would need the porting and a new chip.
1993 Mazda Rx7 3 rotor
2008 Maserati Quatropporte
gmonsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017   #9
ssrszz4

I have a 2000 Hayabusa a 1985 rg500 Walter wolf a 1990 Owo1 Yamaha a Ducati 916 monster and a bunch of other odds and ends. I'm 67 and still riding them.

Sent from my XT1585 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
ssrszz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017   #10
gmonsen

I sold my 900SS and 916 and VFR about a year ago. Kept a lot of under 500cc bikes though.
1993 Mazda Rx7 3 rotor
2008 Maserati Quatropporte
gmonsen is offline   Reply With Quote