ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-01-2016   #41
spork2367

Default Re: Why isn’t the Chevy Corvette ZR-1 worth more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
XfireZ51 gets the hump day "Beacon of Reality Award".
Beacon of hope maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette Guy View Post
...So what should our ZR-1s be worth? I do understand that there were 2 low mile ZR-1s sold privately last year for $50K ea., and a '95 that went for $60K this year (touted as the last publically sold ZR-1). Another NCRS Top-Flight '94 with 60K mi went for $29. Value is a hard question, considering C6 ZR1s have dropped like a rock. You could purchase a low mile 2010 ZR1 today for mid $60s, and it's base sticker was north of $109K just a few years ago.

If in the market, I'd take about half that and jump on one of the killer deals in the ZR-1 Net Registry's listing of ZR-1s for sale. There are a few in there that I can't believe haven't been snatched up. I'd buy the '95 LPE 385 or the Haibeck 415 and never look back... They have so much invested in them and are solid cars built by solid engine builders - I think they are a steal.
Supply and demand. There is a far greater supply than demand. And all these people wanting the prices to be higher....Why? If you love the car so much and you're keeping it, the price going way up will make some replacement parts unattainable, and your insurance will skyrocket.

If you want the price to go up because you want to sell, then you are looking at the car as an investment, and shouldn't be driving it at all.

I think lots of people are now making up their minds that they don't drive them enough, and they are a shitty investment and that's why the market is flooded with these cars. You can buy C5 Z06, have the performance, an infinitely more comfortable and more driveable car that you can easily and cheaply source any part for.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016   #42
edram454

already in my garage.. very modded low mileage z06.black on black, 471 rwhp on dynojet dyno.

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016   #43
BigJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
already in my garage.. very modded low mileage z06.black on black, 471 rwhp on dynojet dyno.
I have an 2006 Z06 that is now a Callaway C16.
I really enjoy the supercharged LS7!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (229.7 KB, 27 views)
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016   #44
Vette73

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
That blue one is freakin kool....What's the particulars on that? Looks like a combination of a Vette and an 06 Viper.....Nice job..
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016   #45
Mystic ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
Hey, I've seen that picture before, can't remember where???

��

Last edited by Mystic ZR-1; 12-01-2016 at 06:22 PM. Reason: .
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016   #46
BigJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
Hey, I've seen that picture before, can't remember where???

��
The photo came from your phone!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016   #47
DRM500RUBYZR-1

A few random observations on the subject.

While lots of folks say cars are not or should not be investments I find that somewhat funny.
An investment of any type expects a return.
The return could be yield.
It could be security over yield.
OR, it could be the how one "feels" after making the investment.
Life insurance is an investment.
It yields minimal financial return when compared to other financial investment opportunities.
Yet, many invest in it, as do I it for the security it provides when I think of my wife and son.
I don't need nor care someone trying to convince me that it is a "poor" investment.
They can do as they wish, and I will do as I prefer.

Cars as investments.

I have had hundreds of smart, intelligent, savvy individuals pooh, pooh my
"investments" in collectable cars.
This, while they buy a 100k euro sedan ( or big as* truck ); drive it for 2 or 3 years and trade it for another with a cost of 30k or more for the pleasure.
No problem.
If they like the "return" it's their money, and they seem happy with the deal so it does not bother me, UNTIL......
Until they ask why I put money in cars that have shown little yield.
My "mistake" is easy for them to see, yet they see no mistake in what they are doing.
They provide all kinds of rationalization for what they do, but really miss the mark on what I do and why.
By the way.
My ZR-1 gives me immense pleasure!
I smile simply looking at it in the garage, sometimes even when it is covered.
My wife has found me more than once wandering around the garage just gazing at the cars with a drink and a big smile.
I can assure you she never finds me gazing with a big smile at my investment portfolio statements, even when they are doing well.
It just is not the same thing.

Others tell me I am a fool to own a house, that I should rent.
I am polite, but would not consider it for a minute.
For them it may be fine.
For me.
No way.

My cars are an investment.
They yield me quite a bit of pleasure and fun.
They let me associate with many cool folks who share my auto addiction, who also bring vibrancy to my life.

Regardless if my Z doubles, triples, or falls to nothing really does not matter much to me.
It won't be sold.
There could be more, and frankly all of the BS about "poor investment" makes me laugh.

If your car brings you misery, like some others here, then by all means sell the damn thing and do what makes you happy.
Life is short.
Enjoy yourself, other people and your toys, you are a fool if you don't.
A good Cabernet isn't bad either, nor a sunrise or sunset as often as you can work it in.

But please don't whine ( at least to me ) about the "value of a ZR-1"

If you are, you are likely missing the real value of the car.

Let's have 125 or more friends at Carlisle this year, and we can have a lively discussion of same. Maybe webcast it to the out of town friends.

Oh, and one more thing.
Most Corvettes, and many other marques do not see the rise in value before 25-or 30 years. They depreciate like all other cars for 20 or so years, gradually slowing, then flattening, and EVENTUALLY rising.
Stop looking so closely; step back and look at the bigger picture and maybe you will see it.
There is no reason why logic could support the ZR-1 behaving differently than all of the Corvettes before it.
But heck if it does, I don't really care!

See you in Carlisle in 2017!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
( with my poor investment )

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016   #48
George Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
Thank You VetteGuy. the zr-1's are extremely undervalued and yes we must support those few reputable mechanics who specialize in these super cars. give them all your business. Use the PM feature to really communicate with members truthfully, those who dont want to out a mechanic to the entire forum. that happens alot. SGC blindly lied to me many times and took my money. He let me drive 8 hours to my home with loose fuel lines and other nuts and bolts. Only one bolt,half coming off, was holding my fuel system together at the rear of the engine. the other came off. I could have had a horrific fire and possibly died. I know of others who sold components and scavenged from the sold units without telling the innocent buyer. I heard of tuners stealing custom tunes and erasing the customers tune by doing so. The seller of my car was a doctor and he lied about the car many times over. he was in a fight with the consigner and the car I received had bald tires, rusted aftermarket amolds, bird **** everywhere, a dead battery and an empty gas tank. NEVER BUY SIGHT UNSEEN. I can continue with many, many other atrocities and fill this post but I will stop. A friend of mine who is a forum member left shops with loose and unconnected shocks in the rear and loose c beam plates.etc... We are paying hard earned cash to maintain and upgrade these cars and we must get our monies worth. The same friend bought a car from a forum member and contributor and when he received the car it was scavenged of many parts probably because the seller was upset at the low price he had to sell. Lets be truthful in our evaluation of these great cars to each other. I know most of us are but some??..... always go see and drive the beast, if you can't don't buy it. I will never again be held hostage by a mechanic simply because he is the only game in town. You know what, I would rather sell the pos period. Please understand what I am saying to all members. Always proceed with caution and take it to the most knowledgeable and reputable guys around regardless of cost. the grand majority of our members are truthful but always check around with other friends on the forum. We need you guys to continue to put this great car in its proper position as one of the greatest cars sold by GM. You are the caretakers and I am sure will continue to do a great job.

ed ramos #3028....sold.
I will be sharing my bad experience soon, already mentioned it to a few, and I really appreciate the guidance fellas.
My Haibeck tune has been restored to my car as it was originally when it left Chicago ...before being corrupted in a Virginia shop.

I know your ZR-1 never let you down, not a once. It was the multiple negative experiences with sellers, transporters, and Aaron Scott. That beautiful car enjoyed a great owner, but enough was enough of the b.s.
1990 ZR-1 #1587
1990 ZR-1 #1727
George Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016   #49
edram454

I never bought my zr1 as an investment or a flip. Corvettes have always been a selfish personal fulfillment regardless of money. I have lost money on almost every car I have bought as enjoyment. I once lost over 50k on one car. I enjoyed it and learned from that experience. I bought my z to enjoy. I even began to mod an already heavily modded car so I could have it just the way I wanted it. Money never entered my mind. The important thing is that I like it. I dont even care if my wife approves or ever rides in it. It is mine. My selfish endeavor period. But when things begin to sour my enjoyment of my car and I realize that from the seller until the last repair mechanic the rash of lies I have been told to believe, everything is just B>S> thats when I get out, regardless of how much I lose. I dont care how much I lose... in the end I dont want any more b.s. and I want out. I never blew up on any of those people because I didnt want to burn any bridges in case I may need some input from them. Quite frankly, i should have throttled them. I should have treated them very brutish and mean. I should have threatened them. It was time to move on seeing that owning this car was always going to be a difficult ordeal because of logistics and a severe lack of expertise in working on these cars in my area. Those of you in Texas or Illinois you are lucky. Top people are in your area. I dont regret owning my Zr-1. The car was great. They are the best exotic car value in the world period. I am glad that most of you have not been b.s.'d from beginning to end with your cars. I applaud you. Unfortunately for me, I have and my feelings have soured on owning a Z any more. I need a more mainstream car, easy to work on, easy to find mechanics, cheap to mod etc... It may not e a zr-1 but it is a Z and it is a Corvette. One day I hope that these cars will garner the respect they deserves and when it does I will be smiling and thinking to myself, I knew it!! In the mean time, if you want to buy a car as an investment, by a crapbag porsche, or a pos ferrari...or maybe an old bummer m w... or maybe a 1972 110 horse porsche targa.. or maybe a power house 30 horse BMW Isetta . I'd rather have an amphi mobile. At least when the b.s. starts rising, it can float and boat away. Good Luck with your cars my friends.

ed ramos

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016   #50
Fully Vetted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 View Post
A few random observations on the subject.

While lots of folks say cars are not or should not be investments I find that somewhat funny.
An investment of any type expects a return.
The return could be yield.
It could be security over yield.
OR, it could be the how one "feels" after making the investment.
Life insurance is an investment.
It yields minimal financial return when compared to other financial investment opportunities.
Yet, many invest in it, as do I it for the security it provides when I think of my wife and son.
I don't need nor care someone trying to convince me that it is a "poor" investment.
They can do as they wish, and I will do as I prefer.

Cars as investments.

I have had hundreds of smart, intelligent, savvy individuals pooh, pooh my
"investments" in collectable cars.
This, while they buy a 100k euro sedan ( or big as* truck ); drive it for 2 or 3 years and trade it for another with a cost of 30k or more for the pleasure.
No problem.
If they like the "return" it's their money, and they seem happy with the deal so it does not bother me, UNTIL......
Until they ask why I put money in cars that have shown little yield.
My "mistake" is easy for them to see, yet they see no mistake in what they are doing.
They provide all kinds of rationalization for what they do, but really miss the mark on what I do and why.
By the way.
My ZR-1 gives me immense pleasure!
I smile simply looking at it in the garage, sometimes even when it is covered.
My wife has found me more than once wandering around the garage just gazing at the cars with a drink and a big smile.
I can assure you she never finds me gazing with a big smile at my investment portfolio statements, even when they are doing well.
It just is not the same thing.

Others tell me I am a fool to own a house, that I should rent.
I am polite, but would not consider it for a minute.
For them it may be fine.
For me.
No way.

My cars are an investment.
They yield me quite a bit of pleasure and fun.
They let me associate with many cool folks who share my auto addiction, who also bring vibrancy to my life.

Regardless if my Z doubles, triples, or falls to nothing really does not matter much to me.
It won't be sold.
There could be more, and frankly all of the BS about "poor investment" makes me laugh.

If your car brings you misery, like some others here, then by all means sell the damn thing and do what makes you happy.
Life is short.
Enjoy yourself, other people and your toys, you are a fool if you don't.
A good Cabernet isn't bad either, nor a sunrise or sunset as often as you can work it in.

But please don't whine ( at least to me ) about the "value of a ZR-1"

If you are, you are likely missing the real value of the car.

Let's have 125 or more friends at Carlisle this year, and we can have a lively discussion of same. Maybe webcast it to the out of town friends.

Oh, and one more thing.
Most Corvettes, and many other marques do not see the rise in value before 25-or 30 years. They depreciate like all other cars for 20 or so years, gradually slowing, then flattening, and EVENTUALLY rising.
Stop looking so closely; step back and look at the bigger picture and maybe you will see it.
There is no reason why logic could support the ZR-1 behaving differently than all of the Corvettes before it.
But heck if it does, I don't really care!

See you in Carlisle in 2017!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
( with my poor investment )

Marty
Well said, Marty!

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote