ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-08-2021   #21
Vette73

Default Re: Another Nice ZR-1 on Bat - 14k mile 1991.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
With a lot of activity in the end, it closed at.....

$37,000!

Damn. Wasn't expecting that.
Neither was I...Right time right buyer...Lucky seller...

Have my 91 blk/blk 522 HP, powder coated engine listed for sale the past few months...Best offer I got on the car is 21,250....Car needs nothing....Can't figure it out .....Unless of course the usual stock low mile ones are bringing money from collectors....
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021   #22
rush91

What I find head scratching is how IROC-Zs, 80s Trans Ams, and the Japanese cars of the 90s ( RX-7, Supra, 300z ) are starting to go for insane $$$. I never bought my Z as an investment, but can't understand how the collector car market works.
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021   #23
G8nightman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette73 View Post

Have my 91 blk/blk 522 HP, powder coated engine listed for sale the past few months...Best offer I got on the car is 21,250....Car needs nothing....Can't figure it out .....Unless of course the usual stock low mile ones are bringing money from collectors....
John try presenting the car better maybe on Bring a trailer or even ebay you reach more people not all new ZR1 buyers know the registry or corvette forum exists also facebook market place your listing get lost among all the base C4's.
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2315 'SOLD'
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2774 'SOLD'
91 Chevy ZR1 Callaway aerobody
91 Chevy ZR1 #1512
91 Chevy ZR1 #951
95 Chevy ZR1 #338 'SOLD'
91 BMW 850i
94 BMW 850csi
95 BMW 850csi
94 Lotus Esprit S4
07 Benz CLS550
06 BMW M5 "SOLD"
G8nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021   #24
bowtiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush91 View Post
What I find head scratching is how IROC-Zs, 80s Trans Ams, and the Japanese cars of the 90s ( RX-7, Supra, 300z ) are starting to go for insane $$$. I never bought my Z as an investment, but can't understand how the collector car market works.
I think the answer to your question is: people buy what they once had or wanted to have when they were younger. That tends to be vehicles that are about 25-35 years old. When I was in undergrad, my father had a quasar blue ZR-1. My brother ended up with the car so I went and bought my own.

Because there were sooo many of those other cars produced, there are more people historically/emotionally tied to them. There weren't many people plopping down $65-100K for a ZR-1 back in the day compared to 3rd and 4th gen F-bodies. Just not relatable for most folks. Combine that with the fact that ZR-1s don't differ much from standard C4's cosmetically, and you can see why they haven't been in demand. It appears that is changing. why settle for 230hp L98 when you can have a 400+hp LT5!
bowtiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021   #25
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette73 View Post

I'm guessing the BAT types won't go for modded cars. The peanut gallery there goes insane if anything is wrong. They compete to find flaws.

"All Corvettes are red. The rest are mistakes." - John Heinricy
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021   #26
Corvette95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I'm guessing the BAT types won't go for modded cars. The peanut gallery there goes insane if anything is wrong. They compete to find flaws.
I have seen some powder coated engine/ cat back ZR-1's go for good money there. I think the restomod types won't get any love.
1989 C4 Conv Wht/Red Auto SOLD
1996 C4 Conv Black/Tan Auto SOLD
1994 C4 Coupe Wht/Blk SOLD
1995 C4 ZR-1 White/Gry #278 Dual Dunn Head SOLD
1986 C4 Coupe Black/Red 4+3 SOLD
1990 C4 ZR-1 Red/Red #0454
Corvette95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021   #27
Blownrunner

https://bringatrailer.com/auctions/results/?search=zr-1

Check it out, consistently higher selling prices, looks like the good ol' days of $15k dollar cars are gone.
Blownrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021   #28
Matt B

Great to see that my factory original 18.5kmls 1st owner Z now appears to having been a steal with 29 grand paid. So far I thought I overpaid by a couple of thousand bucks but now I'm glad to see I apparently didn't

Another reason that very likely will have an impact on the C4 prices is Europe, in particular Germany. Let me give you an insight. To import a car less than 30 years since it was build this is what happens:

1. take the purchase price and add all (!!!) transportation cost (also those solely within the US)
2. That sum will be tortured with 10% import duty
3. Add the import duty to purchase price and transport cost
4. That sum will be tortured with another 19% VAT (yes, you're right, the import duty is taxed)
5. To actually RUN the car the annual (!!) tax will be 860?, currently approx. 1030 $US. Plus insurance.

Now, keep that in mind and see what happens if the car is older than 30 years:

1. take the purchase price and add all (!!!) transportation cost (also those solely within the US)
2. There is NO import duty
3. As there is import duty there's nothing to add
4. That sum will be tortured with a lowered rate of 7% VAT only
5. To actually RUN the car the annual (!!) tax will be cut down to 190?, currently approx. 230 $US

Now make your calculations... And that's why a car older than 30 years (which Z's actually now are) is as seductive as a big pot of honey whereas younger ones aren't.

But bear in mind that only factory original cars (plus some modifications to tires as per availability) can benefit from cut annual taxes. This is due to the restrictive classic car regulations. Duty and import VAT are not struck by that.

Matt
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021   #29
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt B View Post
Great to see that my factory original 18.5kmls 1st owner Z now appears to having been a steal with 29 grand paid. So far I thought I overpaid by a couple of thousand bucks but now I'm glad to see I apparently didn't

Another reason that very likely will have an impact on the C4 prices is Europe, in particular Germany. Let me give you an insight. To import a car less than 30 years since it was build this is what happens:

2. That sum will be tortured with 10% import duty
3. Add the import duty to purchase price and transport cost
4. That sum will be tortured with another 19% VAT (yes, you're right, the import duty is taxed)
5. To actually RUN the car the annual (!!) tax will be 860?, currently approx. 1030 $US. Plus insurance.

Now, keep that in mind and see what happens if the car is older than 30 years:

2. There is NO import duty
3. As there is import duty there's nothing to add
4. That sum will be tortured with a lowered rate of 7% VAT only
5. To actually RUN the car the annual (!!) tax will be cut down to 190?, currently approx. 230 $US

Now make your calculations... And that's why a car older than 30 years (which Z's actually now are) is as seductive as a big pot of honey whereas younger ones aren't.

But bear in mind that only factory original cars (plus some modifications to tires as per availability) can benefit from cut annual taxes. This is due to the restrictive classic car regulations. Duty and import VAT are not struck by that.

Matt
Thanks Matt.
Very interesting post. I remember that the ZR-1 made some big waves in the European car magazines back then. It seemed more loved by a lot of them then it was by the American ones. There is likely a bunch of 45 year old guys who loved one then, but could never afford one. All of a sudden, they are available and have become a deal.

And yes, knowing German inspection standards, a stock vehicle will be much more desirable.

"All Corvettes are red. The rest are mistakes." - John Heinricy
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021   #30
bowtiguy

WOW! thank you for that breakdown. Thats is CRAZY $$$. Makes importing to Canada look cheap, right Erik?

I bet there are quite a few potential buyers eager to pick up 90's and 91's now.
bowtiguy is offline   Reply With Quote