ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2013   #13
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: Alternator Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
REMY rebuilds alternators & starters for virtually all of the major auto parts distributors, Autozone-Duraguard, AC Delco-AC-Delco, Advance-ProForm, OReilly-Ultima, etc. The electronics in the core are tested and if good, will remain as-is in the rebuild. They leave Remy in the customers brand boxes.

Simply put, this means that an alternator core may only be cleaned, inspected and receive new bearings and brushes before going out the door to be sold as "rebuilt." Consequently, the voltage regulator, rectifier, rotor, stator & wiring may not be replaced at all. The ACDelco units that were sold by GM were 100% rebuilds. I'm not sure about the ACDelco units of today.

I recommend buying a 100% new parts rebuild, 124A alternator.
Jerry,

Not a plug for you directly, but having bought alternators and learning by mistake, I would tell anyone to get their alternator from you or at least that same quality. As you know, a new Z owner in Hawaii (Steven on the Big Island) did so and I told him why mess around and try to save money then have aggravation later to R/R an alternator again even if not that difficult. It is simply not worth messing around with a lot of the other stuff on Ebay or internet when there is a known source like you that will stand behind their product. You really do get what you pay for in this area.

Craig
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote