ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 10-04-2018   #1
klork

Default LT5 info

I very recently acquired what appears to be an early LT5. Supposedly has 4500 miles on it but I have no way to confirm this. From what I have been told the *** end of the car caught fire and that's why the engine was removed. Since this engine has most likely been sitting a long time I was wondering what items should be replaced before using it. Should I replace seals and gaskets? Fuel injectors? I also have the wiring harness, computer, all accessories, clutch, flywheel and bellhousing and both exhaust manifolds.

I am not sure if I am going to be using the stock computer or go the megasquirt route to make tuning easier.

Is there a wiring diagram available for the stock harness? I have some cut wires and I would like to identify what they are.

I will most likely be using a LT1 T56 since I already have one and from what I understand the T56 will bolt up except one hole does not line up?

There are some parts on the engine I may or may not be using and I was wondering if you guys could help me out with a fair price for some of this stuff. Bellhousing, flywheel and clutch assembly, exhaust manifolds. Both cats are still on there but on manifold had the ball flange cut off for some reason. And I may sell the computer.

Thank you guys for your help I really appreciate it.
klork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018   #2
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: LT5 info

You bought the one on Facebook? Good price

What are you planning on putting it in?
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018   #3
klork

Volvo wagon if I can make it fit. I am pretty sure it will since 4v 4.6 for motors fit with a hydro boost setup.
Old 10-04-2018   #4
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by klork View Post
I very recently acquired what appears to be an early LT5. Supposedly has 4500 miles on it but I have no way to confirm this. From what I have been told the *** end of the car caught fire and that's why the engine was removed. Since this engine has most likely been sitting a long time I was wondering what items should be replaced before using it. Should I replace seals and gaskets? Fuel injectors? I also have the wiring harness, computer, all accessories, clutch, flywheel and bellhousing and both exhaust manifolds.

I am not sure if I am going to be using the stock computer or go the megasquirt route to make tuning easier.

Is there a wiring diagram available for the stock harness? I have some cut wires and I would like to identify what they are.

I will most likely be using a LT1 T56 since I already have one and from what I understand the T56 will bolt up except one hole does not line up?

There are some parts on the engine I may or may not be using and I was wondering if you guys could help me out with a fair price for some of this stuff. Bellhousing, flywheel and clutch assembly, exhaust manifolds. Both cats are still on there but on manifold had the ball flange cut off for some reason. And I may sell the computer.

Thank you guys for your help I really appreciate it.
Fuel injectors should be replaced. Accels 150821 can be had for 630.00 dollars.

Do all the gaskets you removed to get to them. Check vacuum system for leaks, or remove secondary system while it's apart.

Rebuild starter while you're in there. Nothing is more frustrating than putting it all back together for it not to crank.

I'd also do plugs and wires while you're in there.

Wiring diagrams should be in the LT5 manuals. They can be had for 100.00 for the full set.

Get it running on the stock computer first. The megasquirt will run rough from day one and might mask other issues from your install.

I'm not sure if anyone else has used a T56 behind an LT5 or not, but it may be cheaper to find a ZF vs. reinventing the wheel to use a T56. The LT5 uses a different input shaft than the LT1.

Parts prices if you sell:

Bellhousing - 250.00 (at best, there are about 6 on ebay right now)

flywheel and clutch assembly - 650.00 (assuming tight and low mileage)

exhaust manifolds (cut) - 400.00 (for the pair)

computer - 1100-1500 (I sold one for 1100 about a year ago)
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018   #5
A26B

I am here to assist you with any LT5 parts you may need.

www.jerrysgaskets.com

I am a ZR-1 owner & charter member of the ZR-1 Net Registry, plus previous ZR-1 organizations back to 2002.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018   #6
klork

I have heard more then once now to replace the injectors. Are they a bad design and I should replace with a different style or is it ok to send them out to get checked out and rebuilt. Also what size are the stock injectors.

And thanks for the friendly welcome. I was afraid I would get run out of town by committing sacrilege by using the motor in something else!
Old 10-04-2018   #7
spork2367

Quote:
I have heard more then once now to replace the injectors. Are they a bad design and I should replace with a different style or is it ok to send them out to get checked out and rebuilt. Also what size are the stock injectors.

And thanks for the friendly welcome. I was afraid I would get run out of town by committing sacrilege by using the motor in something else!
There is no such thing as a "rebuilt" gasoline fuel injector. The most they can do is clean them.

In the case of the original LT5 injectors, ethanol eats away at the coating on the coil and they short out internally.

The Accels I listed as well as the FIC injectors on Jerry's websites are the two best replacements.

I think it's awesome to drop these motors in something else. And I've personally thought about a Volvo since they have big engine bays and these are wide motors.

However....far more people have set out on this journey than have actually accomplished it. For the dozens and dozens and dozens of LT5 motors that have been sold over the years, I'd say there are 10-15 successful transplants out there. There is just way more to deal with and way less info than an LS or traditional small block swap. There are no stand alone harnesses, original zf transmissions are expensive. Transmission swaps are even more expensive...etc.

That being said, good luck, this will be a supremely cool car when finished.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018   #8
A26B

Quote:

The injectors are not a bad design, considering the 1990 vintage. Ethanol blended fuel tolerant injectors were introduced with the 1993 ZR-1. 1990~1992 injectors are not ethanol tolerant. on cleaning & rebuilt)

Here is a link for the FIC SS, flow matched injectors, ready to install with no modifications.
http://www.jerrysgaskets.com/fuel-in...16-90-95-13b2/

The following are the gaskets & seals needed to do the job;
http://www.jerrysgaskets.com/gasket-...32-90-95-11d2/

http://www.jerrysgaskets.com/seal-se...on-90-92-11d8/

http://www.jerrysgaskets.com/seal-se...on-90-95-11d8/
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018   #9
klork

So these engines came with twin 24 lb injectors per cylinder?
Old 10-04-2018   #10
Coupe89

I'm using theses injectors:
https://www.southbayfuelinjectors.co...fuel-injectors.
2 per cylinder is correct. - Normal power 1 injector. Full power 2 injectors...
1990 ZR-1 #642
Coupe89 is offline   Reply With Quote