ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Corvette > Corvette Technical Questions

Old 09-09-2019   #1
ConcreteMan

Question 1990 Battery Removal

Hello to all, and I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but... noticed nothing came on when the door was opened - no lights. and when I turned the key to ON again, nothing came on. Checked the battery with my VOM (set to DC), there was less than 1 volt in the battery. So, I decided to remove the battery in order to purchase a new Delco, but after looking at the way to remove the battery, I came to a dead end. Checked with the manual to no avail. So... my question to my forum compatriots, how do I go about removing the battery from my precious 1990 ZR1.
ConcreteMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019   #2
lfalzarano

Default Re: 1990 Battery Removal

Remove the screws in the wheel well connected to the side panel beside the battery. There is a bolt on the right top of the panel covered partially by the weatherstrip that has to be removed. Laying on the ground and looking along the right bottom edge, you’ll see a nut that has to be loosened. Now the battery side panel can be removed.

You need a battery with a minimum of 690 CCA according to GM for the LT5.

Recommend:
AC DELCO 75PS BCI GROUP 75 AUTOMOTIVE BATTERY

or

Odyssey 75-PC1230 Automotive Light Truck Battery (slight battery holder modification needed)

JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Old 09-09-2019   #3
ConcreteMan

Hey Lou,
Thanks for the reply. Hopefully, I will get it done tomorrow morning.
Have a good day.
RobG
ConcreteMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019   #4
lfalzarano

Update on the AC Delco battery.

The warranty on the AC Delco 75PS with 650 CCA is 30 months. I recommend The model AC Delco 75VPG with 700 CCA is 48 months.

Old 09-10-2019   #5
gapl1953

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfalzarano View Post
Remove the screws in the wheel well connected to the side panel beside the battery. There is a bolt on the right top of the panel covered partially by the weatherstrip that has to be removed. Laying on the ground and looking along the right bottom edge, you’ll see a nut that has to be loosened. Now the battery side panel can be removed.

You need a battery with a minimum of 690 CCA according to GM for the LT5.

Recommend:
AC DELCO 75PS BCI GROUP 75 AUTOMOTIVE BATTERY

or

Odyssey 75-PC1230 Automotive Light Truck Battery (slight battery holder modification needed)

JMHO

I was just in my 1990 to fix the crash sensor which threw a code.
The fastener which is really a bolt, on the bottom, that you see while on the floor is in between the body panels. There is just enough space to get at it with the open end of a box wrench, I believe it is 1/2" but I'm not sure, anyways you just need to loosen it enough to remove panel. There will be a small metal backing plate with a slot cut into it which was held to the inside of the panel with some sticky tape, this is to prevent damaging the panel when tightening the bolts. If yours is like my 1990 it fell out when removing the panel. To get it back in place open the drivers door and use a long reach pliers to insert it between the panel and the mounting tab through the opening to the front of the door. There is also one of these backing plates between the top mounting tab and the panel. Mine was still stuck in place with the tape. The body panel that you removed has some adjustment in so make sure of your gaps and alignment are correct when putting it back together.

Cheers,
Greg

1990 Red on Red, ZR-1 #2973

:Eagle:
gapl1953 is offline   Reply With Quote