ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-10-2014   #11
5ABI VT

Default Re: My Billet alt is here and it fits !! pics and input welcome !

Here is the diagram DC sent me yesterday. They said :

Hello Mike,

Your wiring is simple. You're going to attach the blue plug into the
charging post on the alternator and the yellow will go to L terminal as
shown in the picture here.

Maybe a noob question but how do I add a wire to the plug they included? I'm familiar with removing them and clicking them in position just not sure about waft type of wire/pin to get to add a 3rd (if needed)
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014   #12
WVZR-1

Your concern needs to be the pulley alignment. I'd probably find someone with a "laser alignment" device to confirm the install. Anything short of proper alignment of a serpentine belt will create issues. I wouldn't think it would be difficult to source one locally from a quality shop for rental or a borrow maybe.

Regarding the electrical, it's a shame they don't offer an adapter to convert the Denso alternator to the CS144 style connector. There is one available to use the CS144 to replace the Denso which is done frequently. I didn't spot one that will work for you.

Forward them this charging system schematic that I've emailed to you and ask them to explain to you how they would like it connected:

I believe you can stretch, zoom it to suit your needs.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-11-2014 at 08:50 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014   #13
WVZR-1

If you haven't cut/spliced the alternator connector I believe I'd maybe consider a conversation with these folks for a harness.

Scroll down to the W3030D and that is correct for the car harness, ask them if they can assemble you a short harness to your requirement. If you need some additional length they can accommodate you. No cut/splice solder and no aggravation. I'm quite surprised knowing the $$$$$'s you paid DC POWER that they didn't accommodate you. It's attention to "detail" that finishes a project and I'd think they came up short.

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/item...-Harnesses.htm

I believe the Denso plug is a 312 but I'm sure these people would understand and you've got you snapshots.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-13-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-13-2014   #14
5ABI VT

Quality power was among the guys I emailed I honestly don't even remember why I didn't just go with them. In the end I believe my alternator is pretty much exactly like the quality power in that they use the same denso with the billet front cover. The link they sent me did have the options for a back exit post and included the harness. Seems to me quality power are doing the right thing and I do feel they offer the best fitment for plug and play by including the right harness as well as options on the ordering page for rear exit, belt style etc.

I saw your post hours after I had just cut and wired and soldered the new harness with my original :/ plug and play would have been nice but honestly once remembering all the advantages of the newer alternators , I don't think I will ever go back to stock. The original is like a dinosaur in comparison at least in my eyes. Regardless I may order one up and keep it just so the option is there to switch back. Pics to come !
Old 12-14-2014   #15
Locobob

So what are the advantages of the newer alternators vs. stock?

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014   #16
5ABI VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locobob View Post
So what are the advantages of the newer alternators vs. stock?
In my opinion.. the oem alternator seems to work fine on these cars. After reading up on the newer alternators.. in a nutshell its more of an evolutionary change. More efficient, less heat, less noise, more output at idle and peak, greater durability etc etc. Is it needed? probably not I guess.
Old 12-14-2014   #17
Locobob

Does higher output always equal more parasitic hp loss or are the newer units just more efficient?

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014   #18
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locobob View Post
Does higher output always equal more parasitic hp loss or are the newer units just more efficient?
It's generally assumed that most of these units are simply more efficient and supply the amperages needed for advanced electronics at lower RPM points. They're also not generally thought to require any additional HP to provide that power. If you start playing with pulley diameters and alter the ratio vs. crankshaft RPM that of course would change.
Old 12-15-2014   #19
5ABI VT

My impression on the efficiency is that they are more efficient but they are slightly heavier internally so there is a tiny bit more loss right there. Under load however the older alternator will have much more drag and heat vs the newer ones and the hotter it gets the worse its output which means it has to work even harder.
Ive been aware of high output alternators way back when I did a big stereo in my lt1 car where I had dimming lights and an ewp AND an underdrive pulley. I didn't know that they only produce the amount of amperage required by the accessories or I would have probably tried this a decade ago. With a higher output alternator my fans would run faster, lights would stay brighter and my waterpump would be spinning faster. I think the benefits outweigh straining the electrical system. Its my belief that with a good high output alternator and my upgraded wiring and grounds the system will be much happier and be more reliable long term. WIth 16 injectors and lots of electronics and wallet denting ignition module failures I felt the upgrade was worth it to make sure there was enough juice for everything to function as required.

This is a neat video I liked. Shows that with fans on, headlights on the difference a high output alt can make. The amp theyre comparing to does put out 170 amps which is a ton more than our stocker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S83GUurX-no

nice video showing internals. I believe the gm unit there is much beefier than ours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMB2Rrpz9yg
Old 12-15-2014   #20
5ABI VT

How it looks so far. Did a little touch up work on the alt. rerouted the harness etc so its out of sight. Ill be doing a lot more of that over the winter under the hood Top end is progressing finally too.. should be running soon !