Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2017   #171
Roadster

Default Re: LED headlight upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
relay or resistor?

just confirming, my relay solution either cuts or moves a wire
My mistake.....meant to say resistor....corrected above....
Quote:
I forget did you buy genssi or Larsen?

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

Sent from my SM-G935P using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 10-25-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-25-2017   #172
-=Jeff=-

Thanks Tom,

Absolutely the lights should work as OEM with the Resistor.. glad everyone likes them.. currently they are on back order
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 10-25-2017   #173
Roadster

Quote:
Thanks Tom,

Absolutely the lights should work as OEM with the Resistor.. glad everyone likes them.. currently they are on back order
Jeff, I have an extra resistor, as you know they are only sold in pairs and you only need one.....it's yours if you like.....PM me your info and I'll send it out to you......my treat......just in time for Halloween!!!

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 10-25-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-25-2017   #174
-=Jeff=-

Thanks for the offer Tom.. I might take you up on that in case my relay scheme does not work
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 10-25-2017   #175
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

After waiting a couple years for the cream to come to the top (I hope), I pulled the trigger on a pair. In that time, there are a lot of companies offering LED headlights, a few good ones, and some...not so good. Prices are all over the map!

I went with the same light package and cut-off patern that Larsen sells; the same style that locobob installed, but from another re-seller (Larsen was out of stock - has been for a while too. Larsen, Genssi, Oracle, SBL, Amazon..).

The lights I ordered also also has the CREE XM L2 LED chip set in them (as well?), (i.e., the latest power, color, life expectancy ratings). And, the reflector(s) produce the sharp cut-off drive line I was looking for.

I also bought a pair (2 pair) of load resistors (2 cars) some time ago; before someone said "only one is required". That may be, but I wanna look at the schematic again before I do go with just one. (I might have a couple, heat-sinked load resistors to offer!)

Well, I'm "looking forward"! (pun intended!!)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 10-25-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-25-2017   #176
-=Jeff=-

got a name for them? link perhaps?
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 10-29-2017   #177
Paul Workman

Quote:
got a name for them? link perhaps?
Yes. (see link below)

A rose by any other name... Same light as the LARSEN (package), Genssi, and several others. It's the chipset and the cutoff line these have that is what I boiled it all down to.

The first pair sold out, but when they came back in stock, they were apparently upgraded to the next CREE LED chipset. More power.

I bought these on Amazon, $119 ea. (I'll either have them installed for the Friday pizza gathering, or bring them w/ me to "show and tell".)

Also, I have a couple "spare" LOAD RESISTORS, which substitute for the high beam filament (path to ground). I was thinking the setup required 2, one for each headlight. But, apparently, only one is necessary for the fog light relay to work.

Note: For those wondering, the two options are 1) GROUND the fog light relay, or 2) insert a LOAD RESISTOR at the sealed beam connector.

Grounding the fog light relay results in the fog lights being turned ON any time the fog light switch is ON - regardless of whether the high beams are on or not. IF the fog lights do not have a cutoff drive line, and are bright (which mine ARE), obviously that can become an issue for on-coming traffic.

Inserting a LOAD resistor replaces the low resistance (to ground) of the high beam filament, thus maintaining the original fog lights OFF mode when the high beams are ON.

(link to Amazon)

90 #1202
Sans secondaries

Old 10-29-2017   #178
Paul Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Another new LED headlight product that should work for our cars. At $54.99 each, a real bargain!

Anyone willing to experiment?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Xprite-60W...ZZLzX-&vxp=mtr
I haven't seen that particular LED, but a number of the cheaper LED/Sealed Beam replacements DO NOT have a sharp cutoff/drive line as others. They might be suitable for off-road apps, but may not be DOT certified LED lights. Those that are and that I'm aware cost significantly more $$.

90 #1202
Sans secondaries

Last edited by Paul Workman; 10-29-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-29-2017   #179
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Yes. (see link below)

A rose by any other name... Same light as the LARSEN (package), Genssi, and several others. It's the chipset and the cutoff line these have that is what I boiled it all down to.

The first pair sold out, but when they came back in stock, they were apparently upgraded to the next CREE LED chipset. More power.

I bought these on Amazon, $119 ea. (I'll either have them installed for the Friday pizza gathering, or bring them w/ me to "show and tell".)

Also, I have a couple "spare" LOAD RESISTORS, which substitute for the high beam filament (path to ground). I was thinking the setup required 2, one for each headlight. But, apparently, only one is necessary for the fog light relay to work.

Note: For those wondering, the two options are 1) GROUND the fog light relay, or 2) insert a LOAD RESISTOR at the sealed beam connector.

Grounding the fog light relay results in the fog lights being turned ON any time the fog light switch is ON - regardless of whether the high beams are on or not. IF the fog lights do not have a cutoff drive line, and are bright (which mine ARE), obviously that can become an issue for on-coming traffic.

Inserting a LOAD resistor replaces the low resistance (to ground) of the high beam filament, thus maintaining the original fog lights OFF mode when the high beams are ON.

(link to Amazon)
I just bought this pair for my son 96 GS as well Paul. They look identical to the Larsen units. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 11-02-2017   #180
GOLDCYLON

Well second set is in. They are identical to the ones I received from Larsen and the same part number and in the same boxes as pictured by Locobob.

No more speculation ='s same manufacturer. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Closed Thread