ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-27-2011   #1
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Cannot clear SIR lights (seat belt and INFL REST)

Hey folks,

I posted this message in the ListServer, but we have some smart folks here too so I'll figured I better post here too. I did my final preps to ship the vehicle to Japan tomorrow morning, but have not been able to resolve this issue as of yet.

Thanks,

Craig

I have a 90 MY with the famous seat belt and INFL REST lights on. Assuming it was grounding issues for sensors when I pulled the motor last year for rebuild and cleaned up the frame, that was double checked and cleaned up and I think it was addressed.

So in attempts to clear the code and lights with the information found in FSM and different forums, I tried to ground the Cavity K or ALDL with ground and A cavity, but neither did anything to diagnose or allow clearing the codes.

The only thing that happens is once the ignition is turned on the INFL REST light comes on, then will flash one time a few seconds later and that is it.
Doing all the 3 second intervals of off and on, etc. does nothing since it does not even seems to go into diagnostic mode.

I also have the ALDL Diagnostic Ground Tool for 1981-1993 that was developed by Gordon Killebrew and sold by Performance Choice (I believe MIDAMERICA) and following the user's manual brings the same results to diagnose or clear. Reading somewhere else on a forum it indicates the DERM (Diagnostic Energy Reserve Module) could be bad if I can't get any kind of results from grounding.

Any input and help related to this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Aloha,

Craig Toyooka
1990 #1727
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #2
tomtom72

Default Re: Cannot clear SIR lights (seat belt and INFL REST)

not trying to be a wise guy....but it has a failure to go into diagnostic system check mode. You did check the airbag fuse?

going back to reading the FSM, be back as soon as I find something.

Tom

Did you pull the DERM to Instrument panel connector apart? Did you have the I/P harness out or disconned?

Essentially your INFLREST & SEATBELT light are both always on, even when you try to pull codes?

The book says: Ing off, ground pin K, Does the INFLREST flash codes? ----. answers : Y or N. If the INFLREST is on continuously then: turn Ing off; disconn DERM to I/P harness; Ing back ON; note INFLREST indicator, is it on or off? -----> If Not on, check DERM to I/P connector for short to ground. If no short, DERM toast. If Yes, ckt 358 has short to ground in I/P harness.
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member

Last edited by tomtom72; 02-27-2011 at 08:24 PM.
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #3
Tyler Townsley

Check the connectors under the dash. Both modules have a connector in the line and they will create high resistance that mimics a bad ground. Unplug it and clean it. This should be done first before doing any work at the module as it usually clears 90% of the problems.

Tyler
68 Torch Red
88 ZR1 Blue
90 ZR1 White
Tyler Townsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #4
todesengel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Townsley View Post
Check the connectors under the dash. Both modules have a connector in the line and they will create high resistance that mimics a bad ground. Unplug it and clean it. This should be done first before doing any work at the module as it usually clears 90% of the problems.

Tyler
my sons zr1 has this issue. Could you tell me where these connectors are located, and what they look like?

TIA
todesengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #5
Tyler Townsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by todesengel View Post
my sons zr1 has this issue. Could you tell me where these connectors are located, and what they look like?

TIA
The wire is unique. Its a single wire (not in the loom) about 1/8 in in dia and the connector for the pass side module is to the right of the hump up under the dash. Its been a long time since I did mine but I think it is white. Its one of the few wires not paired with any other wires. Its connector is unique and not like the other electrical connectors one sees in an automotive environment, its more like a IPOD stero plug.

Tyler
68 Torch Red
88 ZR1 Blue
90 ZR1 White
Tyler Townsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #6
todesengel

Quote:
The wire is unique. Its a single wire (not in the loom) about 1/8 in in dia and the connector for the pass side module is to the right of the hump up under the dash. Its been a long time since I did mine but I think it is white. Its one of the few wires not paired with any other wires. Its connector is unique and not like the other electrical connectors one sees in an automotive environment, its more like a IPOD stero plug.

Tyler
Thanks!
todesengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #7
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
not trying to be a wise guy....but it has a failure to go into diagnostic system check mode. You did check the airbag fuse?

going back to reading the FSM, be back as soon as I find something.

Tom

Did you pull the DERM to Instrument panel connector apart? Did you have the I/P harness out or disconned?

Essentially your INFLREST & SEATBELT light are both always on, even when you try to pull codes?

The book says: Ing off, ground pin K, Does the INFLREST flash codes? ----. answers : Y or N. If the INFLREST is on continuously then: turn Ing off; disconn DERM to I/P harness; Ing back ON; note INFLREST indicator, is it on or off? -----> If Not on, check DERM to I/P connector for short to ground. If no short, DERM toast. If Yes, ckt 358 has short to ground in I/P harness.
Tom,

I know, you can't help it.........lol

I'm trying to figure out why the lights came on and assume it had error codes. No, I did not check the fuse and will do so. My FSM has been shipped and my Z gets shipped tomorrow AM so I will have to deal with this next month if I can't resolve tonight. No, when trying to pull the codes no seatbelt light and then the INFL REST comes on, does a single flash and then stays on and that is it.

No, did not get as far as the DERM and don't know what it is or where at this point without the FSM. I did not mess with I/P harness or disconnect.

Thanks for your help and I appreciate it.

Craig

Old 02-28-2011   #8
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:

Tyler
Okay, thanks Tyler.

Craig

Old 02-28-2011   #9
HAWAIIZR-1

[QUOTE=tomtom72;109230] You did check the airbag fuse? QUOTE]

Tom,

The air bag fuse is GTG. Thanks, that would have been great if that was it.

Old 02-28-2011   #10
tomtom72

I'll bet it's what Tyler said about some corrosion at the plug for the sensor. The left side connection is right where if your door leaks it will get hit.

Rob, the air bag wiring is Yellow & the connectors are three pin round connectors. The yellow is the sheath color....you will not fail to see it as it screams at you it's that bright yellow color.

1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote