ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-14-2020   #1
YungEff

Default Black Tag going into '94 Z

Sup everyone,

I've removed the Blue Tag ZF-6 from my '94 ZR-1 and i've got a question. What is the easiest way to mate the Black Tag ZF6 to the '94 ZR-1, which is set up to accept a Blue Tag unit? I'm aware of the throwout bearing ID difference between the car year models.. Is changing the Throwout Bearing the only way to get the trans in? Or is there another option since I have both trans here? Just wanting to get some experienced answers. Thanks

YungEff
YungEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020   #2
Ccmano

Default Re: Black Tag going into '94 Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungEff View Post
Sup everyone,

I've removed the Blue Tag ZF-6 from my '94 ZR-1 and i've got a question. What is the easiest way to mate the Black Tag ZF6 to the '94 ZR-1, which is set up to accept a Blue Tag unit? I'm aware of the throwout bearing ID difference between the car year models.. Is changing the Throwout Bearing the only way to get the trans in? Or is there another option since I have both trans here? Just wanting to get some experienced answers. Thanks

YungEff
Its just the input shaft diameter. So yes, just the Throwout bearing for the install. However the Black label uses a lockout lift ring for reverse. You will need an early version shift lever with the lockout lift ring to engage reverse. The ring uses Allen screws that lock the ring to a shaft that runs in the center of the shift lever. Once tightened you lift the ring with your fingers as you shift into reverse. The shaft is lifted and allows reverse to engage. You will also find that the VSS electronic connectors are different. Just swap the VSS unit from the blue tag into the black tag so connectors match your harness. You will also notice that the trans will be louder in low gears, some even have a slight growl, under 2000 rpm due to the slightly straighter cut of the gears.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020   #3
Dynomite

A Black label trans with short shifter rebuilt by ZFdoc installed in 95' (No Lift Ring) 👍👍

Post 241 - Rebuilt Black Label Transmission Installed and New Driveshaft U-Joints

Last edited by Dynomite; 02-14-2020 at 09:05 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020   #4
tccrab

Swap the VSS from the Blue tag to the Black tag.
Obviously the throwout bearing is different.
You'll need a early model shift boot with the reverse lockout ring, it's attached to the boot itself.

I put a '95 Blue tag in my '90 after the third gear synchros went out on my black tag. I found it more economical to buy a factory rebuilt transmission than rebuild my black tag. No reverse lockout ring, and I bought a ZR1 labeled T-Handle shift knob from a forum member who makes them, which I prefer over the stock shift knob.

The blue label is much quieter transmission, but does make about the same amount of growling in neutral with the clutch out as the Black tag did.

'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020   #5
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

The obvious question is: WHY do you ask? There are pros and cons either way.

Excerpt from an article delivered by Marc Haibeck at Bowling green (date unknown by me)

The serial and model tags are black up to about 1993 ½. They are blue from that point forward.
Black tags units were manufactured in West Germany. The blue tag units were manufactured in Vernon Hills Illinois. There is no clear correlation for tag color and torque capacity. The model number listed on the tag specifies the torque capacity.

The entire article:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ZFS6-40.pdf (646.2 KB, 38 views)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 02-19-2020 at 06:54 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020   #6
YungEff

Thanks for the .PDF Paul, and thanks everyone for the responses. I was mostly wondering if the input shaft guide tube could be swapped from the blue to the black tag unit. That should allow the black tag to work with my original '94 throwout bearing, but i'm guessing it's not that simple (correct me if i'm wrong).
Anyway, i did order the '89-93 throwout bearing but I haven't Installed it. I'll be getting back to working on the car this week.

YungEff
Old 02-18-2020   #7
WVZR-1

A '94 if original would be a 'black tag' and have a lift ring i believe. 3 I've seen were. Is the 081 'blue'? I've no idea. If you've a known good 'maybe' OE release bearing swapping the guide tube I'd think deserves some consideration.

If the 'black tag' is a '91+ you shouldn't need to be concerned about the VSS. If the 'black tag' is a '90 it will have a center connector and it would be wise to swap yours.

I'd be interested in a snapshot of your service tag on the take out!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-18-2020 at 04:28 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020   #8
YungEff

Actually my ZR-1 is a '94 model with an original blue tag. However I did speak with Bill and he told me that I could swap the guide tube from my blue tag to my black tag, which will allow me to leave the original throwout bearing in.

So Im gonna do that and then install the black tag. Thanks again though to everyone who responded.

YungEff
Old 02-18-2020   #9
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungEff View Post
Actually my ZR-1 is a '94 model with an original blue tag. However I did speak with Bill and he told me that I could swap the guide tube from my blue tag to my black tag, which will allow me to leave the original throwout bearing in.

So Im gonna do that and then install the black tag. Thanks again though to everyone who responded.

YungEff

How about a snapshot of the 'tag'!!!
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020   #10
YungEff

Sure, here is a pic of the blue tag ZF6 I removed from my '94.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200218_180019.jpg (147.3 KB, 43 views)