ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-21-2018   #11
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Default Re: New Owner of 90 in Cali! - Failed Smog :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutanec View Post
PASSED!

I cannot be happier right now! the car barely passed but I am glad it passed.
I ran the car hard on freeway for some miles, normal power mode, and fresh tank of gas.
I do worry about the next test but at least I can be safe for another two years.

It was interesting how the guy ran the dyno. He started in the second gear and tested on the third gear.

Thanks guys for all the help!

Congrats!!!!

Hard to imagine it would pull it down that much, but those who suggested those methods obviously knew their stuff!

Glad to see that it worked!
Now, go out and have FUN with it!
Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018   #12
efnfast

Don't forget, Chevy convinced the feds to let them do all the emission stuff with the power key off.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018   #13
Z51JEFF

I’m here in Ca and I dread the smog mombo every time it comes around. The problem is the State keeps lowering the max levels,my bone stock 91 with I think it was 17,000 miles failed twice. When I got my car it had 6000 miles and that car with 6000 miles,bone stock virgin would fail today at the current levels. I can’t read the specs on the smog sheet here but it had to be the max Nox level that failed the car. Every time I go through the smog bull$hit I’ve got to jump through hoops,I’ve got a few thing I do to get it to pass,don’t like the idea of bending the rules but based on the State being so unreasonable with this I have no choice. I will say this,Marc Haibeck has the answers for this crap. My car now has 25,000 miles there’s a chance it could fail again,I found a good smog guy that’s seems to know what to do to get it to pass. If the State lowers the max limits anymore it might be time to look into a class action lawsuit. As far as the OP goes everything has to be just right for the car to pass.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018   #14
WARP TEN

[QUOTE=Z51JEFF;284273]..........If the State lowers the max limits anymore it might be time to look into a class action lawsuit....... /QUOTE]

I am surprised that no one has done this yet. Or have they already but not been successful? One would think that once the car is built a state shouldn't be allowed to change the rules but obviously California has in order to achieve a political agenda and get all old cars off the road, even collector cars. Any California attorneys here have some insight on this? Just too much for a small group to go up against the government? Curious. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018   #15
jcruz

Emissions inspections. Reason #63 why I moved from Virginia to Florida.
1992 #043, Aqua/Gray 40k miles
jcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018   #16
jss06c6

Texas requires emissions test until the car hits 25 yrs old, then it's safety inspection only. Obvious logic here is that the number of cars over 25 years old aren't a material contributor to emissions as a class of vehicle. Agree with the required safety checks, but old cars and modern emissions standards are a no win situation.

Sent from my XT1585 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
jss06c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018   #17
johnboy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jss06c6 View Post
Texas requires emissions test until the car hits 25 yrs old, then it's safety inspection only. Obvious logic here is that the number of cars over 25 years old aren't a material contributor to emissions as a class of vehicle. Agree with the required safety checks, but old cars and modern emissions standards are a no win situation.

This was the case in RI a few years ago, but now safety and emissions are exempt for Antiques. They completely got rid of the dynos and now only do a two speed idle test for pre-96.
johnboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018   #18
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by jss06c6 View Post

We’re talking about California here, no logic is involved.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018   #19
Regimof3

They made a polo green in 1990?
Regimof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018   #20
gonzolt5

Ugh. I just picked up my first ZR1 (in the Bay Area) and while replacing all the gaskets, seals, o-rings, O2 sensors, and injectors, I wired my secondaries permanently open before putting the plenum back on. Looks like I need to pull the plenum and change this back for the smog test next week.

I have a plan for rigging this up with a manual switch that will allow me to open / close the secondaries from the engine bay. The plan being that I only close them for smog tests. Has anyone else done something like this before? I plan to use a large carb spring, and a go kart throttle cable with a friction lock, both connected to the secondary levers under each side of the plenum.

-Gonzo
gonzolt5 is offline   Reply With Quote