ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-09-2013   #1
emmvette

Default ZR-1 set up for autocross

I've been lurking here for a while and have searched the forum a bit but haven't come up with much regarding the ZR-1 and autocross. I have a '68 and an '04 Z06 and have been contemplating selling the Z06 and buying a ZR-1. Any thoughts on this? It kind of seems like the Z06 might be set up better for autocross due to lower weight, and better (more modern) handling capabilities. Does the ZR-1 really need more space to shine and use the higher RPMs where it excels?

Would the a ZR-1 be better for HPDE / track days? If I do this, I wouldn't be looking for a garage queen, and my tastes usually are for something non-standard. Of the ZR-1 cars for sale that I like, they tend to be non stock (a ported 350, or a 385, 402, DRM500, or LPE ) and yellow, black, purple, or turquise all interest me.

I don't have the space or funds for 3 cars; and the '68 is a keeper that I've spend a lot of hours restoring. It's got a unique wide body and is a fun car.

What are your thoughts on getting a ZR-1 to use a track and autocross car? I realize this forum is biased, but I'm looking for opinions, so please share.
emmvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #2
tpr60

Default Re: ZR-1 set up for autocross

HI, I have two 1990 zr1's and am looking to sell one an buy a c5 zo6, maybe we should talk. I regularly autocross a c3 old road race Corvette. PM me and we can talk.

Bob
tpr60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #3
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

If you haven't driven a ZR-1, please do. I know quite a few ZR-1 owners who track their cars and some who are original owners...

Relatively easy to make them track ready.

The "seat of your pants" power will sell you! Please ask a ZR-1 owner what a PERMAGRIN is!

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #4
SteelBlueZR1

The ZR-1 definately excels on faster autocross and race courses, due to the high-end power. However, I have autocrossed my ZR-1 on slower courses with street tires and beat many newer Corvettes, the secret being that my car is aligned to the autocross specs (per the ZR-1 performance addendum that came with the car in the pizza box).
Haibeck chip, slotted rotors, camber brace, C-beam plates, OBX exhaust, Nitto NT555 tires
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SteelBlueZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #5
gbrtng

PM sent
Old 07-09-2013   #6
mgg

Even though I own ZR-1 I would suggest that athough competent you are already at a disadvantage when it comes to auto-xing. Compared to a well prepared C4 you are looking at significantly more weight on the front tires and more car to slow down. The one advantage of the ZR-1 would be on a very slow course that an L98 would have to use second gear you might get away with only using first with standard gearing and have an advantage with less shifts. Now before everyone who owns a ZR-1 has a cow with what I am saying, The car is certainly capable and VERY much fun to drive in an autox. The problem is when you start to mod the car to help control its weakness it may throw you into a higher class that will make it very difficult to win ( based on whos in your class). I competed in autoxing with prepared L98 car from 1991 through 2000. I attended countless autoxes many at national levels and I NEVER witnessed a ZR-1 that was contending for FTD. They are NOT slow but are heavy and the lack of low end torques in an auotx can be problematic. YOU can certainley have fun, be competitive but I think it unrealistic with a stock car that you will win if thats what your goal is. If you just want to have a good time. it will be a blast! As far as track days is concerned you nedd to address possible cooling issues. Also a front brake upgrade would be in order. I would suggest for the money , the Rippie sold Wilwood GNs. six piston. THe coleman rotors can be purchased very inexpensively compared to others. THis package is nothing at all like the 6 piston superlights. This is a SERIOUS race brake package. Using PFC 01s this brake package is fantastic especially for the money. Your C5 Z06 in the hands of great drivers dominated super stock in SCCA and won national championships many years in a row. Also a set of "A" compound hoosiers now are going for about $1500.00. Wow! I love my ZR-1 and it would be fun to autox it but if you are thinking about bringing home trophies I think you need to be realistic. I will say that I have driven many C5 Z06s and many C4 corvettes and there is something special about the LT5 and I love it. THe history and the significance of these cars make it one othe MOST important corvettes in the history of the car. I hope you enjoy one if you purchase it half as much as I enjoy mine.
mgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #7
Kevin

the LT5 is a heavy motor, I want to say it's around 600lbs, and it's all over the nose. The handling is not as sharp as the C5 or C6 but what 20+ year old car handles better then it's current brethren? The ZR-1 is a great car but it has issues, as has been pointed out it's nose heavy and with the stock cooling system it bypasses the rad and flows back into the block above 5,000 rpm, you can get rid of this with an aftermarket rad and a modified T-Stat but since you're looking at modded cars doesn't seem to be an issue. The frame is also an issue, it was designed in the late 70's and it tends to flex, if I was buying one for a track toy I'd get a ported 350 with a roll bar. The sound is intoxicating and it's a blast to drive but I don't know if i'd ever use one as a track car...that being said I do know of a 368 with a cage coming up for sale next year I have my eye on, now I just my bank account to agree
Old 07-11-2013   #8
emmvette

I appreciate the responses; all very good input!

I have driven a ZR-1, but was not impressed; I think because it had been beat on way too much for years and needed some TLC. I've ridden in another and had a blast, but didn't drive that one.

I didn't think about the extra weight over the front wheels, but realistically I'm not looking to have the quickest time; just to have a lot of fun!
emmvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013   #9
Fully Vetted

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmvette View Post
I have driven a ZR-1, but was not impressed...
I can honestly say I have never seen this group of words put together to form this sentence. I almost couldn't read it. It was like all the letters were just jumbled together. I think 'Vote Obama" comes out of my mouth easier. Or, "Here, take my gun. I don't want it."

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover

Last edited by Fully Vetted; 07-12-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013   #10
Funracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post
I can honestly say I have never seeing this group of words put together to form this sentence. I almost couldn't read it. It was like all the letters were just jumbled together. I think 'Vote Obama" comes out of my mouth easier. Or, "Here, take my gun. I don't want it."
Funracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autocross