ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-06-2021   #1
Vette73

Default Service ride light on...Actuator disconnected..

I may have mentioned this in a previous post....About a year ago I swapped out my rear shocks on my 91..I had my mechanic ( who I refuse to deal with anymore) change my rear shocks...

Ride light was on when I picked up the car...I felt maybe after driving it awhile the light would go off....No such luck..

I decided last month to buy new FX3 shocks from rock auto....

I take out drivers side rear shock and wala, actuator is not connected..Problem is I tried to grab it with my fingers through the shock hole....No such luck..

Its a tight fit to get your fingers in the shock hole to grab it....With repeated tries I think I actually moved the actuator more forward...

On Saturday I will try to use a crimping tool that I can bend and may be able to grab the actuator...

Only other thing I can think of is drilling a small hole so I can fish the line toward the shock hole...

Am I missing something here ? Is there a better way to fish out the actuator ? Anybody ever go through this ?

Its bad enough the bottom shock bolt took me 30 mins to get off.. I'm guessing my former mechanic used an air gun to put the bolt back on....I had to get out the big breaker bar.....What a D%&K...
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021   #2
Corvette95

Default Re: Service ride light on...Actuator disconnected..

It has been a long time since I replaced mine, I don't remember it being that hard but I had a lift then, sorry I can't be more help. Would you mind posting or PM'ing me a picture of the Rock Auto replacements, I know they are Bilstein but do the stickers/decals and all match the OE shocks....I am thinking of ordering a set as a spare. Thanks and good luck!
1989 C4 Conv Wht/Red Auto SOLD
1996 C4 Conv Black/Tan Auto SOLD
1994 C4 Coupe Wht/Blk SOLD
1995 C4 ZR-1 White/Gry #278 Dual Dunn Head SOLD
1986 C4 Coupe Black/Red 4+3 SOLD
1990 C4 ZR-1 Red/Red #0454
Corvette95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021   #3
Vette73

Default Re: Service ride light on...Actuator disconnected..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette95 View Post
It has been a long time since I replaced mine, I don't remember it being that hard but I had a lift then, sorry I can't be more help. Would you mind posting or PM'ing me a picture of the Rock Auto replacements, I know they are Bilstein but do the stickers/decals and all match the OE shocks....I am thinking of ordering a set as a spare. Thanks and good luck!
I will look at both shocks and get back to you....
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote