ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-11-2014   #101
8cam

Default Re: Daily driving a ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
Even with all the body flex it has it still handles very good. Congratulations in continuing to drive and race your car as intended.

ed ramos #3028
Thanks! Once I ignored all the jumping around and realized it was putting the power down well, I could really start attacking the corners, especially that high speed section. As I get more familiar with the handling I'm certain I can knock another couple seconds off that time. I would really like to install that frame stiffener kit, but I'm pretty sure it would push us out of the street classes. She wants to run the whole series next year, so we'll stay as stock as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
I tend to think that you are enjoying your ZR-1 more than the 308 that is in the garage.......
You may be right. I don't drive the 308 nearly enough, just getting it out on the weekends when I have the time, while I'm in the vette damn near every day. Totally different sort of fun though, kind of like Grappa vs. Gentleman Jack - both pack the same wallop, but radically different flavors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonDude37 View Post
Enjoy driving our 1990 ZR1 - we try to get it out 2 or 3 days a week weather permitting. Not a true daily driver, but it is not a garage queen either!
Go autocrossing with it! Really a great car for it, loads of fun.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014   #102
8cam

The Z got a little TLC today. Visited the local suspension doc for a real alignment, which I'm fairly certain is the first real alignment the car has had in 15 years or more. I knew it was off because the steering was a little nervous, and it just seemed jumpy - turn in was quick and unstable, and in the autocross last week it was actually a little difficult to place and it pushed like hell. Turns out it was waaaaaay out, not even on the factory "conservative" settings. Positive camber on both fronts (at least they matched), negative on rears (way didn't match), inconsistent toe settings all around, and way too much caster. No wonder.

Since I drive it on the street so much, we went for a compromise between the safe standard spec, and the aggressive "off road" spec, but leaning aggressive. Right away, I can tell the steering is much more stable, and just hitting a few curves the car feels more confident. Another autocross next week should really show the difference.

Front
Camber: -1.5/-1.5
Caster: 5.9/6.1
Toe: 0.05/0.05

Rear
Camber: -1.0/-1.0
Toe: 0.10/0.10

Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-16-2014   #103
8cam

After the alignment was fixed, I still had to run a bunch of errands, finally glad to be home. The Z stayed nice and cool, and the a/c kept me cool to, on a hot day in Atlanta.

Black/Gray
Old 08-17-2014   #104
edram454

car looks nice for a daily driven zr1. again, I salute you!

ed ramos #3028
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014   #105
8cam

I hope it looks nice, period. I do try to keep all my cars looking good, but don't mind if they get a little dirty either. You can believe all mechanicals will be top-notch, and cosmetics will also be excellent. There's a full paint correction coming in the near future, along with some other maintenance items. Just have to find the time.
Black/Gray
Old 08-17-2014   #106
Kevin

every time I see the 308 in your sig I start drooling. My friend 328 is my favorite Ferrari I've ever driven.
Old 08-24-2014   #107
8cam

Autocross again this morning, and the first one after getting that alignment done. HUGE difference, the car just turns and hooks up so much better. So well in fact, that I actually know the limits of the tires now, and it drifts pretty well, decently forgiving once you're over the limit. It's also clear how limited the Nittos are in this sort of thing, and better tires will be on the shopping list.

I was running against a couple S2000s running on stickier rubber, and managed to get within a half-second of them. On my last run I was sure I found that half-second, but spun it right before the finish line...dammit.

This course was different from the last one, smaller facility and tighter. I ran the whole thing in 1st gear, hitting 7200 about five times through the run. I had a passenger on one of the runs, and he couldn't get over how the engine just pulled to the moon and sounded fantastic. I will say running the entire course in 1st makes the car a lot more lively - power is *right*there* all the time and it's super easy to break it loose at 6500+.

It's also cool how much a conversation starter this car is. I put the hood up for tech inspection and drew a crowd. Then in grid I put the hood up again, letting it cool down a bit, and more talking. I swear I get more people coming up to me and wanting to talk about it, than I do with the Ferrari!

Black/Gray
Old 08-24-2014   #108
edram454

your car looks good. It must be fast... its black!
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #109
Roadster

To say you are having fun is an understatement at that.....it must be wild running the course in 1st gear, I can only imagine.......

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #110
8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
To say you are having fun is an understatement at that.....it must be wild running the course in 1st gear, I can only imagine.......
That's an understatement. With the engine deep in the powerband, the short gearing in 1st, and the less-than-optimal grip of the Nittos, I was riding a fine line the whole time. It was lots of fun, and would light up the rears and drift almost instantly. Forgiving though, and pretty easy to catch. By the third run I was getting confident on the corners - hard throttle to initiate a drift, off-throttle to pivot and turn, catch with countersteer and back on the gas. I managed to ride that knife edge really well, up to the end of that last run. Literally the LAST CONE before the finish, and I let that off-throttle go just a hair too far running somewhere north of 6000rpm...and around I went. Next time!

FWIW 7000rpm in 1st is about 40mph. You can have a TON of fun at 40mph, just sayin'.
Black/Gray