ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Club Regional Areas > Mid-Atlantic Region

Old 04-02-2019   #11
XfireZ51

Default Re: LED conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Hey Yun,

I just want to add that I bought everything as you mentioned and all worked fine. I do have Euro lamps so the appropriate bulbs and colors, but same brand.

I ordered these for the front cornering lamps and received them today. They work great and plug right in with no mods.

AMAZENAR 2-Pack 1156 BA15S 1141... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0GP3ZP...p_mob_ap_share

Attachment 9322

Thanks again for the recommendations!!!

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Craig,

I have the split Eurolamps on mine. What did u buy to convert over to LED for brakes and turn signals?
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019   #12
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Craig,

I have the split Eurolamps on mine. What did u buy to convert over to LED for brakes and turn signals?

Dom,

I used the same as shown in post #1, but purchased from Amazon.

SYLVANIA - 1157 ZEVO LED Red Bulb - Bright LED Bulb, Ideal for Stop and Tail Lights (Contains 2 Bulbs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A77TV4Q..._UE.OCb7Q5D508

SYLVANIA - 1156 ZEVO LED Amber Bulb - Bright LED Bulb, Ideal for Park and Turn Lights (Contains 2 Bulbs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A77QQTE..._mG.OCbTXHQRXZ

No need to do any trimming to bulb or housing and plug n play. Very weird looking to traditional bulbs, but excellent lighting and no hot spots as Yun mentioned.

1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019   #13
-=Jeff=-

SO I looked at my 1996 FSM and compared it to the 1991 FSM, looking at the front turn signals and side markers (8A-110-0). The side markers get 12v applied on both sides depending on function.. This is why the LEDs don't work (well)

As stated I made GC some circuits for this purpose. I have a couple other ideas I need to try, but the side marker grounds through both filaments of the front bulb. the circuit I added for GC is a plug and play with addition of one ground per side.

One thing to try, remove the side marker bulb (temporarily) with front LEDS, see if the signals work. That I have not tried yet, but should work..
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019   #14
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
SO I looked at my 1996 FSM and compared it to the 1991 FSM, looking at the front turn signals and side markers (8A-110-0). The side markers get 12v applied on both sides depending on function.. This is why the LEDs don't work (well)

As stated I made GC some circuits for this purpose. I have a couple other ideas I need to try, but the side marker grounds through both filaments of the front bulb. the circuit I added for GC is a plug and play with addition of one ground per side.

One thing to try, remove the side marker bulb (temporarily) with front LEDS, see if the signals work. That I have not tried yet, but should work..

Hey Jeff,

I’m pretty fortunate with the 95 I guess. I replaced all external bulbs to LED and the flasher (the one Yun originally posted on other post) and everything works fine on my car with and without headlights on. The side marker bulbs used are from SuperBrightLEDs. I even have additional LED side marker units mounted on the fender gills and those work too.

If confuses me how different cars and model years aren’t all the same. Maybe the brand of LED bulbs play a role in this too. The only thing different on mine is the Euro lamps on the rear and the sequential mod for those turn signals.

Old 04-02-2019   #15
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Dom,

I used the same as shown in post #1, but purchased from Amazon.

SYLVANIA - 1157 ZEVO LED Red Bulb - Bright LED Bulb, Ideal for Stop and Tail Lights (Contains 2 Bulbs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A77TV4Q..._UE.OCb7Q5D508

SYLVANIA - 1156 ZEVO LED Amber Bulb - Bright LED Bulb, Ideal for Park and Turn Lights (Contains 2 Bulbs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A77QQTE..._mG.OCbTXHQRXZ

No need to do any trimming to bulb or housing and plug n play. Very weird looking to traditional bulbs, but excellent lighting and no hot spots as Yun mentioned.

Thanks Craig. Not cheap but I’ll probably do this next. I really wish someone would do an LED array that looked good for our taillights.
Old 04-03-2019   #16
HAWAIIZR-1

Default LED conversion

Quote:
Thanks Craig. Not cheap but I’ll probably do this next. I really wish someone would do an LED array that looked good for our taillights.

You’re welcome Dom! I cringed myself since we need double the bulbs, but it was worth it with the quality and output of these bulbs. I thought about doing some photos or videos, but they don’t come out as in person so not worth posting.

I agree about a nice plug and play setup for the Euros, but not enough of them. It sounds like a nice project for -=Jeff=- 🤣.

By the way, my harness has those cheap Dorman housings from auto parts that was some Camaro application to make the turn signal harness. Anyway, I want to replace those with GM quality but can’t find a part number that fits. If someone knows, please share. Thank you.

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 04-03-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Old 04-03-2019   #17
XfireZ51

Yeah Craig. Same here. I made my own harness but avoided hacking up the stock harness. Just cut two wires which now have connectors, so if I or someone else ever wants to go back to stock, I can do that easily.
My lenses are a bit “dull”, but a friend at a collision shop gave me rubbing and polishing compounds that renew the brightness of the lenses. One more project!
🤪

Last edited by XfireZ51; 03-08-2024 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-03-2019   #18
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Yeah Craig. Same here. I made my own harness but avoided hacking up the stock harness. Just cut two wires which now have connectors, so if I or someone else ever wants to go back to stock, I can do that easily.

My lenses are a bit “dull”, but a friend at a collision shop gave me rubbing and polishing compounds that renew the brightness of the lenses. One more project!

🤪

Dom,
Mine are the same as far as not touching stock wiring and easy to go back. I forget where I got the instructions from (Hib or Gordon?). Just looking for high quality bulb sockets to use. I would hate to crack a lens as it seems like the whole assy needs to be bought if you can find them. Thanks!